Cosmo 418

vdogg

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys are one of the only real firms in Hampton Roads that is pushing for good design. I hope this project is a success and I hope you guys score bigger and better local and national projects in the coming years. Hampton Roads is in need of good contemporary architecture.

you guys are one of the only real firms in Hampton Roads that is pushing for good design. I hope this project is a success and I hope you guys score bigger and better local and national projects in the coming years. Hampton Roads is in need of good contemporary architecture.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!

We wanted you all to know that we have gotten FINAL approval from both Design Review and as of yesterday, City Planning.

Our last step is for approval from City Council and we welcome YOUR attendance for support!!! We will let you know as soon as we know that date and time.

Thanks again for all of your support!!!

UPDATE!!!

We wanted you all to know that we have gotten FINAL approval from both Design Review and as of yesterday, City Planning.

Our last step is for approval from City Council and we welcome YOUR attendance for support!!! We will let you know as soon as we know that date and time.

Thanks again for all of your support!!!

• 1 month later...

Actually, it's not entirely clear to me who exactly opposes the project. From the document:

By a 5 to 1 vote, the Planning Commission recommends approval of the Downtown Development Certificate for 418 Granby Street. This proposed mixed use development project with commercial frontage on Granby Street was deemed by the Planning Commission to be in keeping with the intent of the D-3 Downtown District. The building's design was approved through the design review process.

However, it is the recommendation of both the staff and the Administration that this project request for the issuance of a Downtown Development Certificate should be denied.

Development of this particular parcel, having a narrow width and flanked by two surface parking areas, does not contribute to a visibly unified block face along Granby Street. With the existing development, this project creates an exaggerated appearance and facade along Granby Street that does not meet the "architectural relationship standard" of Section 8-0.9.

I haven't really seen how this project would look within the street-scape, but the critique sounds a little precious to me. The real question should be whether the design is good enough to fit in functionally and aesthetically, not whether or not it's design conforms to that of the adjoining structures. After all, this is Granby Street. What's wrong with a little individuality? Does everything have to be post-modern redux or colonial?

I think it looks interesting and better than many of the nearby structures. But I do wonder why they didn't slip the footprint to one side of the parcel, which would allow for some larger windows on perhaps the northern face, rather than have those tiny openings on both sides. Just a thought.

It appears that Planning Dept staff and administration are opposed (recommending denial) to the project, but the Planning Commission members are in favor of it. If the City of Norfolk is anything like most other places, City Council will accept the recommendation of approval from the Planning Commission rather than the recommendation of the Planning Dept.

Planning staff would be in an awkward spot if they recommended approval for something they say does not meet one of their development requirements. They pretty much have to recommend denial. However, the Planning Commission has a say and can make a different recommendation to Council.

Why on earth would the council lead these developers on for so long only to kill the project (quite forcefully) at the last possible moment? In the article, Fraim says, "I don't know how this even made it through the design review committee." Well if he and the others had this much objection to it all along, why did they wait until now to speak up?

Archived