Greenville Drive Baseball

Sorry about being late on this guys, but there is a suprise, brought to you by the Greenville Drive; man that rhymes. MARK YOUR CALENDARS: On March 18 and March 25 from 2 PM-5 PM, there will be free hot dogs and 1.00 drinks at the new ballpark. You can also buy single game tickets on these days. For more info, just look at the advertisement on page 20 in the upstate weekend section of today's Greenville News. (3-10-06 edition) :D

Edited by g-man430

Sorry about being late on this guys, but there is a suprise, brought to you by the Greenville Drive; man that rhymes. MARK YOUR CALENDARS: On March 18 and March 25 from 2 PM-5 PM, there will be free hot dogs and 1.00 drinks at the new ballpark. You can also buy single game tickets on these days. For more info, just look at the advertisement on page 20 in the upstate weekend section of today's Greenville News. (3-10-06 edition) :D

Thanks, g-man430! I'll be there for sure and certain! Yea, sure, youbetcha!

I might even purchase a coke and have a hot dog while I'm at it! :rofl:

I've read a couple of places (the Drive's website being one), that this will be the first time professional baseball has been played "downtown" since 1972. This may have been discussed and I've missed it, but where downtown in 72 and who? Was there some small downtown ballpark in the early 70's? If so, what happened to it, or where is it? What team was here in 72? Anybody know?

There was a ballpark next to the Reedy River, down around the area where the Kroc Center will be located. I think the name of the team was Greenville Spinners, which came from the textile industry being so powerful here.

Thanks Skyliner! Guess the old ballpark wasn't much to get excited about?

The ballpark was Meadowbrook park. It wasn't too much different than Spartanburg's Duncan Park, but it burned shortly after the '72 season, and followed by 12 years of no minor league ball in Greenville until the Braves came. Players such as Nolan Ryan and Tommy Lasorda played on that old field for Greenville while they were coming up.

Declining attendance as the city's population moved east and south ended the run at that old field. Which is why Greenville Municipal Stadium was built in Mauldin where the population was moving towards.

New urbanist commerce and philosophy have of course moved the minor league ballpark to the westend, a place where no one would have dreamed of it going 20 years ago.

It's kinda fun to learn about history based on where developments go. You can almost learn the whole history of the South by it. Take Cherrydale shopping center for example.

Originally it was a small farm run by early settlers along the Wagon Road leading north. Then college president, James Furman, built a plantation there in the mid-1800's as a retreat from the town of Greenville, with slaves and the whole bit. After the Civil War, the plantation was subdivided to become a textile facility as the economy became more manufacturing based. In recent years of course, the land has become a service economy/retail outlet for a booming middle-class Southern economy. That's the whole history of the South in one, what? 10 acre spot of land?

Thanks whitehourseview! Great to know the history of the old ballpark. :thumbsup: I'll have to see if I can find some photos in the library. If it was like Spartanburg's Duncan, would love to see photos.....Duncan is neat old ballpark. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info on Cherrydale too! Did you grow up in the area? You have a deep knowledge of the history. Would love to hear more!

According to the Greenville News, the ballpark thing this weekend is still a go even though single game tickets won't be able until March 31 and the new mascot will be "reedy rip'it."

-More info about the new mascot here: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../603160322/1050

-More info about the new stadium and open house here: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...301/1002/SPORTS

Edited by g-man430

According to the Greenville News, the ballpark thing this weekend is still a go even though single game tickets won't be able until March 31 and the new mascot will be "reedy rib-it."

Reedy Rib-it???? Whats this? :huh: Sounds like some new specialty burger at Jack in the Box.

If you want to see a picture of the new mascot go to the Greenville Drive homepage at http://www.greenvilledrive.com/ or http://greenvilledrive.com/news/news.asp?newsId=372 to see more info on the new mascot.

Note: The picture of the new mascot is only available on the home page of the Drive's website, not in the articles listed above.

Edited by g-man430

Wonderful. They are even worse at choosing a mascot than they are choosing a team name. "Reedy Rip'It?" Seriously?

Have you looked at the rendering of good ole "Reedy Rip-It"? I'm sorry to say this, but he looks dumb, just plain dumb. da duh, da duh, da duh...... The cap turned to the side and the silly expression on his face.....come on. Not to be negative, but I don't see him "Rippin it".