Greenville Drive Baseball

These people do it all half-right/half-wrong.

• Put so much money into a beautiful ballpark, then call it a "stadium."
  • Announce to the entire Upstate community of over 1 million that you'll be having a naming contest for the new Greenville team, then let politics kill the contest and call the team "Drive."
  • Announce to the Upstate that you'll let the children create mascot concepts for a contest, then choose one that has nothing to do with the team and is rather crazy-looking. The thing wears a shirt, hat, and shoes, but NO PANTS!? I sure hope it doesn't start "rippin' it," because everyone will run for the exits holding their nose.

:blink:

ReedyRip_it.jpg

For what it's worth, I am as deeply in love with the West End ballpark as you can be, and am especially happy that it is a privately financed stadium by some enterprising folks. But I deeply, deeply loathe the name "Drive", even joined in the chorus of letters in the G News about it when it was announced.

I look around the South Atlantic League and see snappy names based on history that are unique:

Augusta Greenjackets - a green hornet based on the Master's championship jacket is perfect,

Greensboro Grasshoppers - not an insect but a small cannon used by American soliders at the nearby Revolutionary battle of Guilford Courthouse,

Kannapolis Intimadators - every dude with a #3 on his back window from Maine to California is immediately a fan of your team,

Savannah Sand Gnats - pretty much sums up my opinion of Savannah and I still like it,

Charleston River Dogs - not sure what makes a pooch a River Dog but I like it

All of the above are plural entities that at least have some tangible, populist connection to their town. Drive? eh-eh. I thought names like Copperheads, or Bears to recognize local animals would be good.

The name "Bombers" not only has historical connections to Columbia, but to Greenville as well, as the Doolittle, "30 seconds over Tokyo" Raiders did some training in Greenville as well. It's a nice tip of the hat to the "Greatest Generation" and I wished they had kept the name. I even bought a Greenville Bombers fitted hat (at 50% off!) from the Drive store recently just so I wouldn't go along with the Drive name - though I like the Drive logo - go figure.

26454921_68049c642c_m.jpg

I have nothing against the organization, wish them decades of success and hope it's a real boom to the community, but Reedy Rip'it?

These people do it all half-right/half-wrong.
  • Put so much money into a beautiful ballpark, then call it a "stadium."
  • Announce to the entire Upstate community of over 1 million that you'll be having a naming contest for the new Greenville team, then let politics kill the contest and call the team "Drive."
  • Announce to the Upstate that you'll let the children create mascot concepts for a contest, then choose one that has nothing to do with the team and is rather crazy-looking. The thing wears a shirt, hat, and shoes, but NO PANTS!? I sure hope it doesn't start "rippin' it," because everyone will run for the exits holding their nose.

:blink:

ReedyRip_it.jpg

I've actually taken to the Drive name and I really like the logo. The Drive does tie into Greenville vey well, being an automotive center and also the people of the city being so driven (we get picked on for being SO driven).

BUT, this Reedy Rip-It guy is just a joke. They let grade school kids come up with the name, and obviously a first grader did the design as well. I don't see him being tied in with pro baseball. He just looks like some silly oaf (Websters says oaf is a "big, clumsy, slow witted person"). I'm sure the mascot is there for entertainment and comic relief......he'll provide plenty of the latter.

Don't worry, I'm with you on the new team name and logo growing on us. I only brought up the oddity that the owners said one thing and actually did something completely different. Consider the fact that children were given the opportunity to create a portion of the Drive atmosphere, whereas adults are left to accept the new team name and wonder what happened to the contest. Anyway, it's over now and hopefully the team will prove better than all this twisted PR-hype. :)

I'm beginning to accept the Drive name, and I love the logo as well. I was rather miffed about the whole naming process and how it turned political.

I hate to criticize the mascot because the Drive did allow the community to be involved as well as giving a gift to the winning school. I'm also happy that there is a 5th grade girl out there feeling great because her idea is one that is used for the new baseball team and I refuse to bash it.

I don't go to baseball games for the mascot, so I'm conceding this one.

I'm beginning to accept the Drive name, and I love the logo as well. I was rather miffed about the whole naming process and how it turned political.

I hate to criticize the mascot because the Drive did allow the community to be involved as well as giving a gift to the winning school. I'm also happy that there is a 5th grade girl out there feeling great because her idea is one that is used for the new baseball team and I refuse to bash it.

I don't go to baseball games for the mascot, so I'm conceding this one.

oops.gifYou are right as always, NYT. I spoke harshly of some child's masterpiece, which most likely took plenty of time and thought to conceive. As usual, I let the feeling of betrayal take over my reaction. I'll reserve judgement on the mascot until gameday.

Yea, whitehourseview, suffice it to say that we're pretty much all with you on the name. We had a very long-running discussion (in another thread) leading up to the naming of the team, the naming contest that was announced, the fact that the contest was ignored and the new name chosen by the team itself (although I'm sure that someone out there somewhere submitted it as a suggestion), and the disappointment in the community resulting from the decision. I had actually suggested that they just keep "Bombers" for the same reason that you cited above previously in that other thread as well. It would have fit just perfectly. However, I've come to accept the new name and I'm beginning to embrace the team and trying to support it in any way I can (primarily by taking photos of the ballpark construction...when they're not kicking me out of the place). :lol:

As for the mascot...I suspect someone went to Sticky Fingers for dinner one evening and took their kids with them. Their kids got the "kids menu," which very prominently features "Rib-it," a rib-eating, barbecueu-loving frog that looks eerily similar to "Rip'it." I'm certain that's how this concept came about, at least partially.

In all seriousness though, guys, the Drive have said over and over again that they are focusing on families (kids as well as adults). Kids designed Rip'it. Kids named Rip'it. Kids, beginning with this generation and continuing on through future generations, will love this mascot and enjoy going to the games just to see his antics. The mascot doesn't have to represent baseball necessarily (beyond wearing a baseball jersey, preferably with pants, yes). It has to be endearing to children (and fans). I personally think Rip'it will be. Both of my kids seem to have gotten a kick out of him, although it's hard to tell from my son's reaction...he's so young that he gets a kick out of a lot of things that are colorful and cartoon-like. So, I suggest that we not worry about the mascot so much and let our kids be the judge for us. :wub:

The only thing that's got me miffed at this point is the fact that both the local news media and the Greenville Drive themselves keep referring to this beautiful new ballpark as a "stadium." :sick: There's the real battle, if you ask me. We should all write in to the Greenville Drive and ask them to start publicly referring to the ballpark as a "Ballpark," on their web site, when speaking to the media, at the ballpark itself, etc..

What say you?

:yahoo:

I'll let this be my last remark about the mascot. I am glad there's a little girl feeling great.....she's our future. However, this is marketing and an image. If they are trying to appeal to families with small children, then they've done the job. However for those of us without children, they've missed the boat. In my opinion, great marketing would have been to design a Reedy Ripit with a great image (one who looks a little smarter), then have EVERY child in Greenville County paint their version of Reedy on a tile and embed these thousands of tiles in the walk. Talk about PR! Every single child with a tile in the walk would want to go to the game to find/see their tile!

It's a professional organization to make money. They could have handled the design of the mascot in a more professional manner.

Edited by gsupstate

It's a professional organization to make money. They could have handled the design of the mascot in a more professional manner.

What we may all be overlooking here is that this image we're seeing is the children's actual conceptual drawing, not the final finished product produced by the Drive. Perhaps the Drive will take this and create something a little more presentable/professional from this concept? Who knows. :unsure:

P.S. I like the tile idea, too, gsupstate! I'd perhaps put them on a wall instead of on the ground, but it's still a great idea!

BTW, Does anybody remember the San Diego Chicken? :rofl:

On WYFF last night, they showed the girl whose idea won. They had framed her drawing next to the conceptual drawing (which I am fairly sure was done by an artist). She was very excited, and too cute.

I like the mascot since it will primarily be used to entertain kids, but I agree with gsupstate that the marketing could have been a lot more inclusive. At any rate, I can't wait for opening day! :D

On WYFF last night, they showed the girl whose idea won. They had framed her drawing next to the conceptual drawing (which I am fairly sure was done by an artist). She was very excited, and too cute.

My wife never lets me watch the news anymore, especially with the kids present. :rolleyes: So this conceptual drawing is not the girl's own? Oh brother. :wacko:

Since letting kids design mascots gives them something to be proud of, and a deserving school some money, why don't we let an area retirement home decide who makes the team and who doesn't? Hey, it's involving the community, and that's what matters...right? Screw solid marketing and effective team promotion, we need to involve the community! Win? Who cares, as long as we make a few people smile nothing else matters.

P.S. And what kind of message are we sending to this girl who designed Reedy Rip'It? We are essentially telling her that her sucky drawing is great, even though it is not. We are sending the message that success is not about how hard you work, but about entering and winning contests. Doesn't this "enter contests to be successful" message go against the public service announcements by the SC Education Lottery?!? Doesn't it go against the whole concept of the people of Greenville being DRIVEN?

P.P.S. Just lightening the mood a little. ;)

Since letting kids design mascots gives them something to be proud of, and a deserving school some money, why don't we let an area retirement home decide who makes the team and who doesn't? Hey, it's involving the community, and that's what matters...right? Screw solid marketing and effective team promotion, we need to involve the community! Win? Who cares, as long as we make a few people smile nothing else matters.

P.S. And what kind of message are we sending to this girl who designed Reedy Rip'It? We are essentially telling her that her sucky drawing is great, even though it is not. We are sending the message that success is not about how hard you work, but about entering and winning contests. Doesn't this "enter contests to be successful" message go against the public service announcements by the SC Education Lottery?!? Doesn't it go against the whole concept of the people of Greenville being DRIVEN?

P.P.S. Just lightening the mood a little. ;)

:shok::rofl:

Eh, it's a mascot. If kids get a laugh out of it and think it's funny and want mom to take them to see the mascot, that's cool, especially knowing a 5th grader got credit for it.

I just think it odd that the 1. the team name is a concept, not something tangible and 2. the mascot has nothing to do with the name - probably because how do you personify "Drive"?

Again, the team is going to be getting a lot of money from me and I'll probably get a chuckle or two out of the Frog-thingy, so I'm down with that.

Look for me at the ballpark with a Greenville Bombers cap on, probably having a good time this April, especially since I'm taking some graduate classes which means tickets will be $3 for me. I can put up with a lot for $3 professional baseball in a state of the art ballpark. :D

Eh, it's a mascot. If kids get a laugh out of it and think it's funny and want mom to take them to see the mascot, that's cool, especially knowing a 5th grader got credit for it.

I just think it odd that the 1. the team name is a concept, not something tangible and 2. the mascot has nothing to do with the name - probably because how do you personify "Drive"?

Again, the team is going to be getting a lot of money from me and I'll probably get a chuckle or two out of the Frog-thingy, so I'm down with that.

Look for me at the ballpark with a Greenville Bombers cap on, probably having a good time this April, especially since I'm taking some graduate classes which means tickets will be $3 for me. I can put up with a lot for $3 professional baseball in a state of the art ballpark. :D

You won't be wearing a Drive hat instead? :lol:

I even bought a Greenville Bombers fitted hat (at 50% off!) from the Drive store recently just so I wouldn't go along with the Drive name - though I like the Drive logo - go figure.

You won't be wearing a Drive hat instead? :lol:

I'll be wearing my Bombers hat to a few games, too, I'm sure...and my Bee Gee's, er, uh, I mean GeeBee's, er, uh, I mean Greenville Braves hat, too! Gotta love the American Bandstand logo on that old thing. :rofl:

^^ Wow. All I have to do to get $3 tickets is go to grad school? What is tuition like these days? Oh, nevermind. :whistling:

To see a pic of the girl who won with her original drawing, go to www.greenvillnews.com and scroll down to Newest photo galleries. There is a good shot of it on Pic#2.

Here's a quick link to the photo itself, since the gallery is off of the front page now and relegated to the drop down list box. Today's a fast news day.

I'll be wearing my Bombers hat to a few games, too, I'm sure...and my Bee Gee's, er, uh, I mean GeeBee's, er, uh, I mean Greenville Braves hat, too! Gotta love the American Bandstand logo on that old thing. :rofl:

Here's a quick link to the photo itself, since the gallery is off of the front page now and relegated to the drop down list box. Today's a fast news day.

You mean the drawing that won was the one on the left? She didn't color it or anything? Wow, I bet she knocked that out during recess one day.

There does not seem to be a link from wyff.com, but they did a story last night on the looming deadline for the construction of the ballpark. Looked like the inside was just about finished.

The last thing that was said on the matter was that it is currently named the West End Field, but that management is still looking for a company to purchase naming rights. :(