Greenville Drive Baseball

While I'm on the subject, the thought popped into my head that it'd be nice to see a Minor League Game of the Week or something of the sort on ESPN2 or the like. They could showcase places like Fluor Field and teams such as ours - there are neat minor league parks and teams all across this country - it'd be cool to see them on the tube from time to time.

ESPN2 does broadcast the AAA all star game in July and the AAA championship between the winners of the International League and the Pacific League in September. That's probably the most coverage you'll get on a national network for minor league ball.

Regional sports networks, like CSS will broadcast the Southern League all star game and the occasional AA or AAA game, but that is about it. There just isn't much of an audience or sponsorship for it beyond that.

ESPN2 does broadcast the AAA all star game in July and the AAA championship between the winners of the International League and the Pacific League in September. That's probably the most coverage you'll get on a national network for minor league ball.

Regional sports networks, like CSS will broadcast the Southern League all star game and the occasional AA or AAA game, but that is about it. There just isn't much of an audience or sponsorship for it beyond that.

I remember seeing weekly (Friday Nights, if I recall) AA or AAA games on CSS. I recall even seeing the Greenville Braves on there a few times, in fact. Although there may not be sponsorship for it, I suspect there's a larger audience for it than one might think, provided the games were carried nationally on ESPN2 or another national network (such as Fox Sports or Vs.) It'd perhaps be a good opportunity for the CVB of many of these cities around the country to showcase their town, too...I'm sure some would be willing to provide sponsorship of their own just to get some national exposure.

While it would be great to have the Drive on television, it'd also be great to have some of the college games (probably more realistic, too) broadcast by a major station. It'd be a great showcase for the area and the ballpark, because you know they'd have to explain why it's at a 'neutral' site and why Fluor Field of all locations... The ballpark seems to really be embracing the college games, so I think as the caliber of the teams improve, it's possible.

While it would be great to have the Drive on television, it'd also be great to have some of the college games (probably more realistic, too) broadcast by a major station. It'd be a great showcase for the area and the ballpark, because you know they'd have to explain why it's at a 'neutral' site and why Fluor Field of all locations... The ballpark seems to really be embracing the college games, so I think as the caliber of the teams improve, it's possible.

You'll probably see Fox Sports South broadcast the Southern Conference championship game next year from the park, at the end of their tournament. And if the SAL All Star game comes to town, it might get an appearance on CSS. I'm not holding my breath on the park ever hosting an ACC tournament, mostly due to its size, and partly due to FSU's objections, but if it did, several tournament games would be televised by Fox Sports South as well.

But it's probably not realistic for Clemson v Presbyterian, or USC v. Furman to get any TV coverage, regardless of the location. Clemson and USC will occasionally appear on Fox Sports on the weekend, but that would be for a significant series, and neither team will give up that kind of home appearance to play in Greenville.

For college teams, weekend games are usually reserved for conference matchups, and I can't imagine a situation where they would not be played at home sites. Week night games tend to be filler games, often against local opposition, so the matchup is less appealing.

You know - now that I think about it, it seems that camera platforms have been installed at the ends of both dugouts in Fluor Field. I don't remember those being there in the past, myself. I suspect maybe they've been installed ahead of plans to televise some games (college or otherwise) as well as to have fixed locations to capture game video for online uses. Does anyone remember those platforms being there in the past two seasons?

You know - now that I think about it, it seems that camera platforms have been installed at the ends of both dugouts in Fluor Field. I don't remember those being there in the past, myself. I suspect maybe they've been installed ahead of plans to televise some games (college or otherwise) as well as to have fixed locations to capture game video for online uses. Does anyone remember those platforms being there in the past two seasons?
I don't recall them, but I immediately noticed them after one of the camera operators nearly lost his head from a foul ball. :shok:

So a 'fan' is less faithful if they pay more for a seat? My dad has season tickets in the "less-faithful rich people (green) seats" and we both would be offended by that...shame on you.

You Missunderstood! I meant that the people who occupied the seats left before the end of the game, hence making them less faithful. I have some "rich people" friends who have season green seats and gom to every game!

You Missunderstood! I meant that the people who occupied the seats left before the end of the game, hence making them less faithful. I have some "rich people" friends who have season green seats and gom to every game!

Yeah, sorry bout that! I believe I was having a rough day, haha.

And that's pretty cool about the live feed into the suites and 500 club!

Mayor White and his wife sat in front of me at tonight's game. Jeff Hart was sitting in the front row with his family. He had to leave early, so he gave his tickets to some kids.

I wasn't far from you, then. It was a heck of a game last night. I love the way the team ran out onto the field and mobbed Che-Hsuan Lin after he got the single to knock in the winning run in the bottom of the ninth. In three seasons, this is the first time I can detect a true "team" mentality coming from that dugout. It's fun to watch! :yahoo:

I keep hearing this from season ticket-holders such as yourself, but the G-Drive have never once mentioned this to me when trying to sell me on season tickets. It must be a secret or something? :dontknow: Not being in town for every game has been the biggest reason I haven't gotten season tickets. If I knew I could exchange them or trade them in, I wouldn't have hesitated.

In previous seasons, it was an unofficial policy. They put it in writing this year. Already traded in a handful for when we will have out-of-town visitors.

• 2 weeks later...

May all of our thoughts and prayers be with G-Drive First Baseman, Anthony Rizzo, and his family.

Wow, that is terrible that he has to deal with this. He will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thankfully, Hodgkin's lymphoma is one of the best types of cancer to have. The cure rate is 90-95% if it is detected fairly early in the disease course.

Thankfully, Hodgkin's lymphoma is one of the best types of cancer to have. The cure rate is 90-95% if it is detected fairly early in the disease course.

Yes, if I had to pick one, this would be one of the ones to pick. It's far better than just about any form of NHL, especially what my mom had, which was an aggressive systemic form of NHL called Anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL). No blood cancer is a cake walk though. I really feel for this kid and I'll definitely be thinking of him as well as others when wearing my Jon Lester Project bracelet.

Anyone notice that the other night in Charleston that the Drive and the Riverdogs wore Red Sox and Yankee uniforms? Wonder if they will do that when the River Dogs come up to Greenville?

It's taken a couple of years, but we're finally going to see this rivalry played up here in Greenville, too (Tuesday and Wednesday). It'd be kinda neat to see something similar when the Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies) are in town.

Greenville Drive's own Jon Lester pitches no-hitter in Boston!

In case anyone's counting :yahoo: , that means the last 2 no-hitters for the Red Sox have come from former Greenville Drive stars -- Clay Buchholz last September, and now Lester.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=280519102

There are not many (if any) minor league teams who can claim that. :yahoo: However, it's worth noting that Lester's assignment to Greenville was a rehab assignment as part of his recovery from Lymphoma after having already been a Red Sox starter the previous season.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Drive will be on TV a few times this year:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....ONTPAGECAROUSEL

I'll admit, I'm surprised at this. I guess the Drive found some good sponsors, and for a non major channel like My40, it's neat to see WYFF broadcast a game as well. And it makes sense to broadcast an away game from Asheville, since that is in the TV viewing area as well. I imagine you could broadcast several games v Asheville every year and get two cities interested in the game.

I guess it makes for good summer time filler TV entertainment.

Drive TV schedule:

MY40

June 21 Hickory

July 1 Asheville

June 7 and 28 at Asheville

August 2 - maybe on WYFF v Charleston

• 4 weeks later...

Never, I repeat never, leave a baseball game early.

Wow!

I had left after the sixth inning with the Drive up 10-2, to try to squeeze in a bike ride before the rains hit. As I was riding down Main St. I saw the fireworks going off. I thought to myself: "The game is just now ending?". I heard the line score announced over the PA. The Drive had to score three runs in the bottom of the ninth to win. :shok:

Exciting game indeed! Good to see that Lin is gonna represent Greenville in the futures game. If im not mistaken they are gonna open the ballpark to the public after the game on the 4th. So if your there for the game stick around there will be plenty to do. Good seats to watch fireworks.