Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

It seems doubtful Tre Bambine, the restaurant going into the old Spice (get it, Old Spice) location will ever open. Unless the owners can run it from prison.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/08/28/group-accused-of-bilking-millions-from-foreign.html

29 minutes ago, mdeancherry said:

Disappointing. I think if it had been in an even halfway-decent location it could have addressed the service issue. 

Agreed. I have talked to a lot of people that think once CSP (or whatever they call it) comes online something may be able to succeed in the space. I still think it will require a business that has a guaranteed following like a chain or maybe a brewery/ pub.

• Thanks 1

Lake Eola Yacht Club lasted as long as it did because it belonged to Lee (of Lee's Lakeside) and her daughters. The only reason I can figure Spice made it was the view and location (its owner was shady also, like the Bambine folks apparently are.)

One fine day maybe we'll get something in there with actual good food and service. Wonder if the folks at The Mule are too busy with The Menagerie.

It's also interesting that simply by bringing the price point and the airs and graces down, WoB seems to be in it for the long haul. 

Edited by spenser1058

On 9/29/2018 at 3:39 AM, jgardnerucf said:

Muddy Waters and Mucho Liqour are done. If y'all didn't already know.

Discussed this with a few others... I think Muddy's issue was the space just isn't great to be *just* a restaurant.  The food was great, but when you have a space like that, you need to have supplemental options in addition to diners.  Stubborn Mule has done great in that regards, weekend brunch keeps the place packed all daytime saturday and sunday, and they have enough good small bites/apps/drinks that people will stop in for happy hour/late night.

Muddy just had nothing to draw me in unless I wanted a sit down dinner.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:34 PM, mdeancherry said:

Remember Pesce (where WoB is now)?  Lesson #1 for aspiring restaurateurs - if your staff's paychecks bounce they *will* be on the local news telling everyone. 

Fun fact I learned that astounded me that I didn't previously know since WoB was my home bar until I moved to Wadeview.  When the temperature/weather is *just* right, you can still see the Pesce sign:

pesce_wob.jpg

• Like 1

Glad to see the Greek Corner in the Ivanhoe District won Scott J's Foodster Award for Best Greek.

The patio looking out toward Lake Ivanhoe is one of my favorite spots to sit and watch the world go by. The food's pretty tasty, too!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/foodster-awards/past-winners/4482-greek-corner-wins-foodster-award

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Glad to see the Greek Corner in the Ivanhoe District won Scott J's Foodster Award for Best Greek.

The patio looking out toward Lake Ivanhoe is one of my favorite spots to sit and watch the world go by. The food's pretty tasty, too!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/foodster-awards/past-winners/4482-greek-corner-wins-foodster-award

Glad to see Med Deli get 3rd at least.  Best Gyro in town IMO.  Med Blue a close second.  I'll have to try Mykonos

• Like 1

More on the new Se7en Bites location proposed for downtown from Scott J:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4486-se7en-bites-owners-plan-downtown-restaurant-under-new-liquor-law-exemption

They are still scouting locations. It will be the first eatery to open downtown since the new law passed in March which allows smaller locations to offer full liquor.

If you're looking for something different, here's Scott J's review of a interesting new place. I immediately thought of sunshine, because this is about as far from burgers, tacos and beer as you can get.

Speaking of far, it's down in Williamsburg but the Ethiopian/Eritrean cuisine (which I haven't tried before) looks mighty tasty. It's called Selam:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/42-african/4481-selam-ethiopian-eritrean-cuisine

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

STIR, the latest in the revolving door of eateries in the Ivanhoe Village spot once held by decades-long occupant Brian's (still miss those sticky buns!), has left the building, according to Scott J:

It was truly terrible. Being a business owner I hate to wish ill upon others, but I'm hopeful the abomination across the street from them will soon follow.

• Like 2

So Market on Magnolia?

My experience at the main store was good.  We went with two other couples, one person that used to work for Bruno and one person that detests hipsters.  There were 4 of us who were neutral, one that was over the moon, and one that hated it.  I saw both sides.  The ingredients were fresh.  The place was packed.  The pizza was good, not great.  The service wasn't bad and it wasn't good.  They forgot about us, but then love bombed us after, but then forgot us again.

It was definitely hipster for the sake of being hipster, though.  I saw his point.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AmIReal said:

It was truly terrible. Being a business owner I hate to wish ill upon others, but I'm hopeful the abomination across the street from them will soon follow.

Yeah, that place across the street (Mesa? w/e) has a great view but that's not enough to get me to go back to it. Calling it mediocre and generic is generous. 

Edited by mdeancherry
typo
  • Like 1

Menagerie Eatery & Bar - where Muddy Waters (and formerly Muchos) was - is in soft opening. I'm VERY excited to have this in S. Eola. I enjoy Rusteak and Stubborn Mule a lot and the menu looks great. We need more "small plate" restaurants and typically, this ownership group does a good job. Going to give it a go in the next few weeks. 

https://www.menagerieorlando.com/

• Like 2

Will Mexican ceviche be the latest offering in the revolving door restaurant at South Eola's (which might be Thornton Park West if Camden is to be believed, but I digress) Sanctuary? Scott J says maybe but don't hold your breath:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4517-bullet-point-buffet-the-takeover-edition

I wish they'd just put a CVS in there and be done with it - the rectangular space is much more suited for retail than to be an overpriced eatery.

• Like 3

All four Dexter's have been sold, according to Scott J. There will be as many as three different owners.

Ominously, the Thornton Park restaurant (located in what is believed to be the site of Orlando's first Publix) will now be run by the owners of Graffiti Junktion (I'm not a big GJ fan and Dexter's TP has long been one of my go-to spots.)

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4527-dexter-s-restaurants-have-been-sold

The times, they are a-changin' *croons like Bob Dylan*.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 3:08 PM, spenser1058 said:

South Eola's (which might be Thornton Park West if Camden is to be believed, but I digress)

Since most everyone is brainwashed that South Eola is Thornton Park we literally asked the city to change the name and absorb us into Thornton Park to be done with it. 

Thornton Park said no.

There is/will be no such thing as TPWest.   TP is doing just fine "claiming our location & businesses" as it was put by City Hall, and I assume TP does not want the responsibility of dealing with resident issues like crime, safety, etc. so South Eola lives on but it will take a lot of work for anyone to notice or care.

• Thanks 1