Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

Yelp isn't too big here and most people do seem to use it to compliment. Always the people who love to complain but its always going to be the extremes that get reviews. So when the extremes are more negative it just isn't worth it to me. Too many places I know are good to risk something people say is bad.

I tried the new Fresh Kitchen on S. Orange today. Meh..., but I will definitely give it another go. I'm happy with the quality of their ingredients as it makes eating out as often as I do a little healthier. Staff was super friendly, but overall flavors were so-so. They are just a few days in so taken into account.

The Jinya folks told me they will be open 1st week"ish" of June. Hope so as I've been to their locations elsewhere and they were excellent. Hope they do as well here.

Does anyone know what is going on at Aadvark as far as food?

10 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I tried the new Fresh Kitchen on S. Orange today. Meh..., but I will definitely give it another go. I'm happy with the quality of their ingredients as it makes eating out as often as I do a little healthier. Staff was super friendly, but overall flavors were so-so. They are just a few days in so taken into account.

The Jinya folks told me they will be open 1st week"ish" of June. Hope so as I've been to their locations elsewhere and they were excellent. Hope they do as well here.

Does anyone know what is going on at Aadvark as far as food?

Really? I disagree. I really liked the flavors. I thought it was more flavorful than Too Much Sauce, which people love. 

59 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Really? I disagree. I really liked the flavors. I thought it was more flavorful than Too Much Sauce, which people love. 

I liked some of the flavors individually- the sweet potato noodles and the roasted mushrooms were really good. It just seemed like none of the flavors went well together. I made the selections, so maybe my fault. The grilled chicken was terrible. Based on my 1st try I'd say JJs is more flavorful.

Too Much Sauce never appealed to me so I've not tried it.

Concur about FK.  Everyone that's had it I know was raving about it.  I found it good, but expensive.  And I'm generally not a fan of places that don't have any sort of "pre-set" or "suggested" bowls.  I'm like uhhh I feel like a lot of these things don't go together.

6 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I liked some of the flavors individually- the sweet potato noodles and the roasted mushrooms were really good. It just seemed like none of the flavors went well together. I made the selections, so maybe my fault. The grilled chicken was terrible. Based on my 1st try I'd say JJs is more flavorful.

Too Much Sauce never appealed to me so I've not tried it.

I had the Teriyaki Chicken and the Steak. The steak was cooked as well as you can get for a Fast Casual place - wasn't tough at all. 

JJ's is great, Too Much Sauce is good too. All in all - I'm happy we have more places like these. I enjoy fast casual options. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First we brought the world Olive Garden and now Orlando-based Robert Earl has bought the Boston Italian chain Bertucci's, with 58 New England locations. Sunshine, make it burgers, tacos, beer and... pizza!

From Scott Joseph

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4359-earl-enterprises-buys-new-england-brand-bertucci-s

Edited by spenser1058

Oh the subject of Cali Burrito but also several other spots come to mind, why aren’t more of these shoppes subdivided?  Is it just because more tenants = more headaches and operating costs?

The other example I think of is the old Tijuana Flats on Summerlin.   Watching them build out the Asian place now and the thing is huge and doesn’t need to be.   

• Like 1

Fire walls, HVAC, plumbing, electric, etc. All have to be re-worked to divide a space up.

Our UCF location was a lot bigger than we wanted so we said how about dividing in half and we'll take 1000 sqft. They told us that would cost 75k to move everything around and add a fire wall. I'm sure that was somewhat high to scare us off of doing so but the cost is high if it isn't done that way from the beginning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Sharon's Homestyle Cookin' in Beautiful Downtown Edgewood makes it to 25 years. Saaaalute!

Stop in and chow down while you ponder the town that killed the Central Connector...

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/51-american/4377-sharon-s-homestyle-cookin

From Scott J

Central connector?

The Central Connector was a project of the O-OCEA which would have provided a limited access connection between downtown and OIA. 

It was killed by Edgewood in the Legislature using a law originally created by Winter Park to move I4's alignment westward (and leading to the creation of the now infamous Fairbanks Curve.)

19 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I've asked this before, but is this the double-decking of 436 that I heard about when I first moved to town?

No. The Central Connector would have linked to I4 and run west of Orange Ave. (through Edgewood, who killed it.) It's possible someone floated a plan to double deck FL 436 after the Connector's demise as an alternative from downtown to OIA.

Edited by spenser1058

With breweries popping up on every corner - does anyone know about Orange Blossom Brewing and why they haven’t established a physical storefront here?  I think they brew in SC but am surprised they haven’t “hopped” on the trend here 

• Haha 1