COMPLETED: Blue Back Square

ctman987

Not really the same. Black is a race and in Hartford could mean Jamaican or Black American culture. If you dislike soul food, African inspired arts and Jazz, you probably won't like to visit the Artist collective, which not many average middle class white people do. If you don't like reggae and jerk chicken you might not like to attend functions thrown by Jamaicans. You'd be racist if you dislike something simply because it has Blacks around. Same goes with PR's, if you dislike their culture and food cool, but disliking White PR's because they aren't real PR's for example would be racist.

Well, I'm glad someone finally said it. Good to hear you understand that the "white folk" from Avon are really not that interested in going to a black neighborhood any more than the "black folk" are interested in going into Avon for activities.

It's about time someone said it like it is. People for the most part like to stick with their own kind and comfort zone...and you know what? As long as it's not exclusionary, I'm okay with Puerto Rican/Italian/Black/Polish/Irish whatever strongholds or neighborhoods.

Do I go to the South end for some great Salsa (And I"m not talking about the food item) with my Irish sweetheart and dance the night away? You bet. That's what I love about it, the fact that it's a real neighborhood being what it is at it's core. Would I want to live there? No more than Hector would probably want to live where I do. Can we be friends, and respect and appreciate each other? Absolutely.

I'm glad to hear your position. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. You really didn't think I was serious with that "racist" comment did you? :thumbsup:

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm glad someone finally said it. Good to hear you understand that the "white folk" from Avon are really not that interested in going to a black neighborhood any more than the "black folk" are interested in going into Avon for activities.

Funny you mention Avon, those are the type of Whites you see there. Mort and Erma Handell were there rather frequently.

Though I wasn't making the exact same point you just made, I actually agree with it. People can have any preference they desire, long as they don't attempt to deride others.

• 3 weeks later...

I have my own opinions about BBSQ. I'll elaborate later. There should be one less parking garage and a smaller scale in general residential section.

West Hartford officials and local developers did a lot of zoning manipulation to justify an urban scaled plan. It was meant to be medium commercial lot like for a car dealership or (I.E Whole Foods) grocery store and a small residential complex. Rather then small scale buildings like those seen on So. Main St. and Lasalle Rd.; they were elongated to employ a rather Mickey Mouse approach to "new urbanism". Selling the project as a bonanza of tax revenue and growth for West Hartford Center, greedy city officials and developers wanted to convince the people that this huge project would lower taxes. Unfortunately the opposite will occur since general expenses will far outweigh the income that various WH politicans and developers will pocket in anticipation of incresed revenue. Salaries will raise tremendously for those certain lucky West Hartford commissioners and to everyone's dismay, the taxes will skyrocket and auto traffic will become unbearable in a already overburdened area. This is not unique to West Hartford since Connecticut's bogus system encourages poorly conceived over-developement of municipalites isolated to their own borders.

I have my own opinions about BBSQ. I'll elaborate later. There should be one less parking garage and a smaller scale in general residential section.

West Hartford officials and local developers did a lot of zoning manipulation to justify an urban scaled plan. It was meant to be medium commercial lot like for a car dealership or (I.E Whole Foods) grocery store and a small residential complex. Rather then small scale buildings like those seen on So. Main St. and Lasalle Rd.; they were elongated to employ a rather Mickey Mouse approach to "new urbanism". Selling the project as a bonanza of tax revenue and growth for West Hartford Center, greedy city officials and developers wanted to convince the people that this huge project would lower taxes. Unfortunately the opposite will occur since general expenses will far outweigh the income that various WH politicans and developers will pocket in anticipation of incresed revenue. Salaries will raise tremendously for those certain lucky West Hartford commissioners and to everyone's dismay, the taxes will skyrocket and auto traffic will become unbearable in a already overburdened area. This is not unique to West Hartford since Connecticut's bogus system encourages poorly conceived over-developement of municipalites isolated to their own borders.

West Hartford center is an urban area. I know that is sacriliage to some West Hartforditites, but it's true. Outside of Downtown Hartford, there isn't a more appropriate place for this sort of development.

• 2 weeks later...

West Hartford center is an urban area. I know that is sacriliage to some West Hartforditites, but it's true. Outside of Downtown Hartford, there isn't a more appropriate place for this sort of development.

Moreover, BBSQ is at least part of a walkable downtown district and it is on a major bus route (Farmington Ave.). I'd obviously prefer this development in Hartford, but I think BBSQ is good for both cities to be honest. It's brownfield development, it's on a transit route, it connects to a downtown (rather than destroying it), it includes residential.

• 5 months later...

Email I received today:

Thank you for your interest in Healthtrax - West Hartford.

We are announcing that Healthtrax has sold it's interest in the West Hartford location so we will not be offering memberships as previously planned.

Because you've expressed an interest in starting a fitness program at Healthtrax, we want to extend a special membership offer to you at one of our five other Hartford area locations.

• 2 weeks later...

New York Sports Club to replace Healthtrax, possible November opening from what I hear:

http://www.mysportsclubs.com/news/comingsoon/_289.htm

Email I received today:

Thank you for your interest in Healthtrax - West Hartford.

We are announcing that Healthtrax has sold it's interest in the West Hartford location so we will not be offering memberships as previously planned.

Because you've expressed an interest in starting a fitness program at Healthtrax, we want to extend a special membership offer to you at one of our five other Hartford area locations.

This really stinks. Do these developers have any respect for the locals?

1. The distance to the NY/Boston area is irrelevant. This is the metro Hartford area. Maybe the WH club should have a new name. Most likely there will be other clubs opening up in the area.

2. If that doesn't work, it should be the Boston Sports Club. No matter how you measure, Boston is closer to BBS than NY.

This really stinks. Do these developers have any respect for the locals?

1. The distance to the NY/Boston area is irrelevant. This is the metro Hartford area. Maybe the WH club should have a new name. Most likely there will be other clubs opening up in the area.

2. If that doesn't work, it should be the Boston Sports Club. No matter how you measure, Boston is closer to BBS than NY.

most people in this area would rather be from NY, so they'll be a nysc.

I think the fact that they have a bunch of CT locations already branded as NYSC and the fact that it's the corporate identity and core brand that have driven this decision. I would have been great for them to establish another brand in the Hartford market though.

I think the fact that they have a bunch of CT locations already branded as NYSC and the fact that it's the corporate identity and core brand that have driven this decision. I would have been great for them to establish another brand in the Hartford market though.

A Hartford location would of been great. As usual West Hartford gets the breaks.

Scot Haney and Kara Sundlun were just talking about this on their show, and both were saying the New York Sports Clubs should be called Hartford Sports Clubs.

How many NYSC locations are there in the state, and would it be enough to justify a name change?

Because I've seen this chain operate under several names. WSC (DC), PSC (Philly), NYSC (given), and BSC (Boston)

How many NYSC locations are there in the state, and would it be enough to justify a name change?

Because I've seen this chain operate under several names. WSC (DC), PSC (Philly), NYSC (given), and BSC (Boston)

Well, I don't think any of the other locations are technically in what's generally considered Greater Hartford. I think most are in Fairfield county, making the NYSC brand fairly appropriate in those locations.

I couldn't find the story on Channel 3's website but I found a blog on it

http://www.wfsb.com/getinthehouse/index.html

Maybe if we had a major league team or two and some sort of cohesive identity where suburbanites were proud to be from the Hartford area and told people that they were from Hartford the way people do in those other regions they would call it Hartford Sports Club. We don't have those things though. We have suburbanites who don't even consider themselves part of Greater Hartford and people who would like to name our airport New England International. :rolleyes:

Maybe if we had a major league team or two and some sort of cohesive identity where suburbanites were proud to be from the Hartford area and told people that they were from Hartford the way people do in those other regions they would call it Hartford Sports Club. We don't have those things though. We have suburbanites who don't even consider themselves part of Greater Hartford and people who would like to name our airport New England International. :rolleyes:

The Whaler's certainly gave Hartford a stronger identity.....

Archived