StarMetro

Florida

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just at school today I saw three different looking buses, The TalTran (Blue and White), the FSU, and some bus with Kids painted all over it. I'm all for color, and creativity but these buses really need to get their look together. I'm a bit disappointed at the fact that so few buses are wearing the StarMetro gear... more disappointed at the fact that the blue and white hasn't been stripped off of the TalTran buses.

City commission approved $3.5M in bus upgrades yesterday, which will be used for improved routes, added routes, new buses, and other previously unbudgeted improvements.

City Commission Budget Item

Also see the detailed Star Metro Imeplementation Plan PDF (35 pages)

Of particular interest to me is the reversal of my previous news that the Southwood route would be postponed until 2007. According to this revised plan, the route will be implemented using 2 refurbished buses in March 2006. Also, it will travel N on Cap Cir to Park, then W on Park to CK Steele, rather than on Mahan. It states the City will use 4 2001 ABI Shuttle Buses (recently acquired) for this route, and a new FSU/Downtown commuter route.

I talked to someone at StarMetro today and found out some more details about the Southwood route, since that is how I plan to get to work starting in March.

-The route is not yet set (stops, roads), but there will be between 3-5 stops in the Soutwhood area

-It will use the newly purchased little buses

-The refurb will include wi-fi access

-Wifi will be free to start, provided through someone like Verizon or Sprint, presumably through a relay to their network

-They are meeting with St. Joe about the locations of the bus stops next week

-They will be added reloadable smart card fare cards

Toolman, Thanks for sharing all this wonderful & in-depth information with us. I often wondered when they would implement some of the things outlined in the report. I look forward to hearing more about both the schedule & the stops for SouthWood!

TJ, You didn't waste anytime either...Nice shot of the new little mid-size shuttle.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry... I just can't resist... that's one good looking bus. I believe that's the Florida Commerce ad the bank has sent out news letters about. I look for so many good things to come out of this. For all of us who were afraid of the plain design on the buses, here's a good reason not to be.

Awesome buses and great pix thetoolman! I'm sure there will be those old fuddy-duddy types that will scream their heads off about them in the Democrat's Letters to the Editor. They'll probably link these new hot buses to the coming of the Anti-Christ.

Question for you thetoolman if you know the answers...are the people who appear on the buses actually real customers of the credit union? If not are they at least local models? Or sadly are they just some random models from somewhere distant place like LA? I think ole TJ as a credit union customer would have made a great model for these buses. :lol:

Leon County just purchased a bunch of 2006 Thomas Saf-T-Liner C2 buses......they are the shiznit! :yahoo:

I'm a bus nerd, what can I say. I seen one on Bradford Rd near the mall last week, talk about a sweet ride! The outside is as sharp as the engineering....

The new wrapped buses will be used out on the street shortly. Florida Commerce wanted to show them off first.

There are five new shorter buses being ordered. FSU has already designed a paint scheme for four of them. they are pretty cool and offer a new approach to meeting bus size with service dynamics (street widths).

Also, anyone interested in the SouthWood service should keep an eye out for an upcoming notice for Community Discussion Events to discuss multimodal issues for SouthWood residents and businesses. St Joe has even offered the ability to intergrate the bus stops into the downtown development. The DRI indicates five stops total, as well as the land they are giving StarMetro for a multimodal facility (bike, bus, walking, etc.).

The new wrapped buses will be used out on the street shortly. Florida Commerce wanted to show them off first.

There are five new shorter buses being ordered. FSU has already designed a paint scheme for four of them. they are pretty cool and offer a new approach to meeting bus size with service dynamics (street widths).

Also, anyone interested in the SouthWood service should keep an eye out for an upcoming notice for Community Discussion Events to discuss multimodal issues for SouthWood residents and businesses. St Joe has even offered the ability to intergrate the bus stops into the downtown development. The DRI indicates five stops total, as well as the land they are giving StarMetro for a multimodal facility (bike, bus, walking, etc.).

I saw one of the new Florida Commerce full wrap buses earlier this morning. It appeared to be running a regular route along Mahan Drive. It was the one that had "Betty" on the left side & it looked awesome. Can't wait to see the rest of the fleet in action!

Thanks for the heads up notice about the upcoming meeting on StarMetro's new SouthWood service.

Archived