Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Ready or not, they must make way for railway

Transit officials will tear down the Hall home and 16 other privately owned homes and businesses for the 7.4-mile, $232.1 million rail line. It's a small number for such a large public transit project, said Michael Townes, Hampton Roads Transit president and CEO who also serves as chairman of the American Public Transit Association....

Lets hope all goes well with the acquisition process and we don't run into any legal issues that will tie this up. I would've preferred property acquisition take place some time ago, but I understand their reason for waiting.

NSU impasse could drive up light rail cost :angry:

City and transit officials hope a squabble with Norfolk State University over light rail will end today.

But if the standoff continues, delays could run up the city’s share of the $232.1 million project, which has been under construction since January.

Mayor Paul Fraim asked the university’s Board of Visitors to discuss the issue at its meeting today. The matter is on the board’s regular and closed session agendas.

It really angers me that NSU is being so self centered and would hold up progress in such a manner. Their arrogance may just wind up costing Norfolk millions. Are they seriously going to hold up construction and possibly deal a financial blow to the light rail line because ".. the project’s rail maintenance yard is visible from the president’s campus home."? Are you kidding me? These people need to grow up.

NSU impasse could drive up light rail cost :angry:

It really angers me that NSU is being so self centered and would hold up progress in such a manner. Their arrogance may just wind up costing Norfolk millions. Are they seriously going to hold up construction and possibly deal a financial blow to the light rail line because ".. the project's rail maintenance yard is visible from the president's campus home."? Are you kidding me? These people need to grow up.

:angry:

I'm quite annoyed about NSU's attitude towards this project. You'd think that if anything, they'd be excited about having light rail in a close proximity to the campus. It will greatly improve the accessibility to the campus for both students and employees and is certain to be utilized by both. It's absolutely ridiculous that NSU would argue to have the stations built farther from campus. I would expect for a university to not only be thrilled about having nearby mass transit, but prefer it to run directly through the campus. And the fact that the line isn't even on campus property makes their argument even more irrational. Norfolk has already tried to accomodate them, to no avail, and I think NSU's dissent is selfish and absurd.

How dare NSU for not wanting a railyard next to its campus!!! ODU would not say anything to the city if they wanted to build a railyard next to their campus! The City of Norfolk does everything right and only NSU is wrong. Look at the inside information we have, how could not make a informed decision about what is happening. The Pilot could never be wrong.

Well, I think to say "disturb" is an understatement if you ask me as this claim is ridiculous all around. As I said before, as soon as this thing is built, it will be all over their brochures and saying how close and convenient it is to the tide to DT. None of this would be an issue however if NPD would step their game up. Crime is going to happen everywhere, its all about how the police react and deter it. There will be an increase concern, I see their point; If I were them, I would make the city of Norfolk promise to step up patrol and influence in the area killing two birds with one stone.

Heh, not that it's a good school anyways.

See, "there you go" - getting it started already...............

It may be a foreign concept to some, that your committment is just that -- NSU made a written committment to the city and HRT

In 2003, former NSU President Marie McDemmond, who resigned nearly three years ago, signed a memorandum of understanding outlining the university

It makes you wonder are the people running NSU truly that ignorant? This project will be a total blessing for that school(I wonder how much ODU would pay for a stop) and they come up with all these silly objections....i.e...Light Rail bringing more crime to that area, like that is possible.

How dare NSU for not wanting a railyard next to its campus!!! ODU would not say anything to the city if they wanted to build a railyard next to their campus! The City of Norfolk does everything right and only NSU is wrong. Look at the inside information we have, how could not make a informed decision about what is happening. The Pilot could never be wrong.

They previously signed a committment stating their support for the rail line as is. They have failed to fulfill their obligation. As an ODU student I can tell you for a fact that I would love for the rail line to link to campus, as would most of my fellow classmates. The pilot is wrong often but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. This has been in the public domain for a decade now, but they chose the last minute when things are approved and under construction to make a stink about it. I'm sorry, but I just do not see the view from the Presidents house as a valid excuse to hold up progress for an entire city. This is an urban campus next to downtown. God forbid some form of urban development is actually visible. :shok: And about the crime issue. Does anyone find it more than a little ironic that NSU is using the exact same argument that Va. Beach did years ago about them not wanting light rail to bring in "that element"? What a strange world we live in. :rolleyes:

I believe there are other unstated motivation behind this. The students at NSU would be ecstatic to have light rail on campus as would ODU and TCC. Numerous schools in other cities have train stops in the middle of campus. Plus how can you justify having bus stops but not train stops...don't they bring the same "element."

I'm sure if push comes to shove, Norfolk will get the LR where it wants it. But the whole idea of NSU not wanting LR near the campus brings up an issue that has troubled me from the beginning. As it stands now, HRT is a complete and total nightmare. Rude drivers, inconsistent service, etc. If the Tide will work, they have to be on top of it like the DC metro. Compare that to the metro/LR systems in Philly and Baltimore and see what I mean. If the latter two are any indication, then NSU has every right to be worried.

NSU falls short of supporting light rail

NSU officials are concerned about campus security with two nearby light rail stations as well as sharing parking at one of the stations.

They also are not happy that the maintenance yard would be within sight of the president's campus home.

Meyers wrote in a letter to city leaders this week that "many on this campus question its benefits to NSU" and stated that it would have been "neighborly if NSU had been given notice of the start of construction."

That last statement is completely disingenuous. You mean to tell me the same LR system that everyone else in HR knew was starting, because it's ground breaking ceremony was plastered all over the front page, somehow slipped past NSU. Give me a break, I am about over that school. :rolleyes:

NSU has to be one of the most poorely run schools around. I worked out there and money just disappears. Things they do out there have no logic behind it. You have classes out there that have mold on the walls but they are wasting money on stupid crap. That tells you the type of leaders running the school. The city should tell them to piss off. I was out there for a couple of years working on their cabling for the network. Lots of corruption out there. I felt sorry for the students trying to get a education there.

Edited by rusthebuss

NSU has to be one of the most poorely run schools around. I worked out there and money just disappears. Things they do out there have no logic behind it. You have classes out there that have mold on the walls but they are wasting money on stupid crap. That tells you the type of leaders running the school. The city should tell them to piss off. I was out there for a couple of years working on their cabling for the network. Lots of corruption out there. I felt sorry for the students trying to get a education there.

I know what you mean, I have always thought NSU should be stripped of its university status or merged into ODU. Really there is no need for that school. Expanding ODU and TCC Norfolk would be the best option for everyone. Besides, doesnt NSU work with ODU on classes. It would be nice to let students take the train to get back and forth between the colleges and would encourage living within the two colleges more. I hope the city overrides NSU and goes ahead without any delays.

I was going to write a long.........but some of you guys can be borderline.......................**cist

I'm about black as night, so no need to play that card. No one has said anything about race (you can throw all the periods and stars you want to in front of 'cist, and everyone still knows what you mean). My issue with NSU is their reasoning behind blocking a development which will be a benefit for the entire community. The crime issue is a red herring, light rail will not bring any more crime to NSU than the buses already do, which is little to none. They use the crime issue to distract you from the real reason they don't want it there, which is the fact that the rail yard is visible from the Presidents house. They didn't want to look too petty, so they just threw in the crime complaint as additional cover. Trust me when I tell you that if ODU were acting in such a manner my criticism would be just as harsh.

So telling the truth is racist. No one said anything about race at all. The school is run very unorganized and money just disappears. I worked out there and seen what went on. If people were meaning to be racist you would hear things about Hampton University. Hampton University is ran very well. NSU is not. I'm tired of critizing something and someone throwing the race card out everytime even though that isn't the case. Get over it dude. Most people use the race card to smoke screen the true issues. Race card is used when someone doesn't have logical or intelligent arguement back. I'm tired of it to be honest with you. I haven't done anything to anyone.

Hmm...Let me stop this one before it even starts. The issue of this thread is light rail so lets stick to that topic and not have a race debate. It's not fair to call people racist and name calling is against the rules of the site. Brikkman, if you honestly feel that a post here is that offensive please pm me and I will look into it. Otherwise, lets get back to topic. I really don't want to have to start deleting posts but I will if I have to.

Off the NSU topic....

the Brambelton bridge is almost complete, but they've yet to begin construction for the bridge next to it for LR. Wouldn't it have made sense to kill two birds with one stone and have them both being worked on at the same time? Rather than completing the one and starting the other a month or two later? Anyone know anything about this, or were they waiting for financing to be guaranteed? (for LR from the feds)

Edited by spiker3

Anyone know anything about this, or were they waiting for financing to be guaranteed? (for LR from the feds)

You just hit the nail right on the head. They were waiting for financing to be secured. This is the same reason they waited to start buying property. They wanted to be sure that the feds would cough up their end. Once financing was in place they put contracts out to bid. It is my understanding that the contract for the bridge hasn't been awarded yet but it will be very soon.