The Madison

UrbanCharlotte

Thanks for posting the link. I hadn't seen a definitive conceptual pic of this project.

I don't really have any problem with the condo tower. It's certainly nothing to write home about, but I don't find it hideous.

....it's just that confounding building site!!!!

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Was hard to find this thread, didn't see it on the rundown map. But it looks like all the fireproofing (if that is what they have been doing for the past 2 months) is finally done. And they are now starting to frame the first couple floors. Thats what it looked like when I drove by today. If I can get a pic this week I'll post it.

I wonder if delays were to change the design. I still can't believe they were trying to go with luxury condos.

Being directly across the street from the Nascar museum and the convention center expansion, and considering hotel bookings have been okay lately, I hope they decide to go with an expansion of the hotel.

Mostly because I don't think they'll be successful as sales.

I wonder if delays were to change the design. I still can't believe they were trying to go with luxury condos.

Being directly across the street from the Nascar museum and the convention center expansion, and considering hotel bookings have been okay lately, I hope they decide to go with an expansion of the hotel.

Mostly because I don't think they'll be successful as sales.

There is a separate thread for the details of why we can or can't get the SuperBowl.

In general, though, more hotel space would have been appropriate. But don't get me wrong, 2nd Ward needs diversity of uses. Right now, virtually the only residents are hotel guests. So if they can make this work with condos, then good.

This was discussed in another thread, but I think Charlotte is warm enough to host the SuperBowl with an open air stadium.

The requirement to host the Super Bowl in an uncovered stadium is 50 degrees for the average high temperature. According to weather.com the average high in Charlotte for February is 56F which is plenty enough:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/int...121?from=search

• 4 months later...

I have to think this will "wind up" (huh, huh :lol:) as a third tower for the hotel. There are so many other options coming online soon around the center city.

But for what it's worth, I don't think work has stopped. They are slowly rising walls up to enclose it.

• 2 months later...

It would not surprise me in the least if this turns into hotel rooms. First, with so much competition now for condo space I think this building would be the least well received due to its location between two identical towers and being in the relative stagnant area of second ward. There are much hotter locations to buy right now than Caldwell and Davidson. Second, the need for hotel space is quite evident between Ritz, Aloft, Sierra - just to name a few. Depending on what type of hotel space is built they will certainly have the advantage on any of the proposed/under construction hotels. And lastly, just from the general disgust this project has seemed to attract from the majority of writers on this board I can't imagine the buying market would jump on board either.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived