Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

2 hours ago, tallguy81" said:

Didn't slip under the radar, we have a thread for this pinned at the top of the forum.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/118173-residence-inn-at-town-center-progress/

Clark nexsen rendering in this link for rosemont includes a very unique highrise at the top of the rendering.  http://www.timmons.com/news/blog/a-conversation-with-david-taylor-timmons-groups-newest-land-planner

Another rendering of the development with the highrise i mentioned from clark nexsen.  www.clarknexsen.com/project/virginia-beach-community-plan-sustainable-future/

Former Green Bay Packers player Aaron Rouse (FC alum) intends to run for City Council. He's gonna have a hard time going against John Moss, but I do like this quote (highlighted). If only other council members felt the same way.

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 12.28.56 PM.png

I am guessing that quote is what will sink his campaign. I remember people in VB hated working with other cities in the region and I don't expect that mentality to ever change. Though it would be nice to be proven wrong because all the cities in Hampton Roads should work together for regional gains.

• Like 1

Unfortunately we all know VB's stance on mass transportation, so while I don't wanna say that sinks his chances, a lot of people won't support that. Shame, because I'm looking to buy a place, and am having a hard time finding something in Norfolk. My best bet is VB or Chesapeake, but VB's fear of progress has me reluctant to move there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BFG said:

Unfortunately we all know VB's stance on mass transportation, so while I don't wanna say that sinks his chances, a lot of people won't support that. Shame, because I'm looking to buy a place, and am having a hard time finding something in Norfolk. My best bet is VB or Chesapeake, but VB's fear of progress has me reluctant to move there.

At this rate, Chesapeake seems to be more open to smarter growth. I am surprised they haven't started pushing for a light rail line running to their city. Light rail to South Norfolk would do wonders for that area.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, urbanlife said:

At this rate, Chesapeake seems to be more open to smarter growth. I am surprised they haven't started pushing for a light rail line running to their city. Light rail to South Norfolk would do wonders for that area.

I'm pretty sure they actually brought it up a few years ago.

3 hours ago, BFG said:

They're considering bringing light rail to Greenbrier. I think that is a better option, given how much more established Greenbrier is, esp. with the development happening near the Dollar Tree HQ.

Why not both? The only way to bring Norfolk's line into Chesapeake without going through VB is to build an Elizabeth River crossing. If the crossing is built somewhere near Harbor Park or Campostella Rd, I could easily see the line being able to service South Norfolk as it moves south to Greenbrier. It'd help spur development throughout an overlooked area of the city and it'd connect Greenbrier/Dollar Tree's urban development to DT Norfolk.  Two birds with one stone.

Of course that means Norfolk would have to cooperate with Chesapeake by building a stretch of the line through Berkley. But I still think that'd be less of a hassle than convincing VB to build a small portion through their city.

Edited by Helium3

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/major-political-announcement-expected-in-va-beach/1128372252

Mayor Sessoms steps down to take a role in Richmond with the new administration. Not sure how this is going to play out for the city. He always seemed like he was for actually making VB into a real city. Maybe he just got tired of all the NIMBY pushback.

• Like 1