Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

This is a totally off-topic thought, but here goes.

I've always wondered why North Virginia Beach doesnt have some type of general and broad nickname to denote its wealth, kind of like a miniature scale of 'The Hills' in Cali. Current descriptions seem too fragmented. I was thinking a catchy name might be 'The Necks' because of the obvious geography of that area.

Because North VB is middle-class not some rich uber-neighborhood. You have poorer areas like Lake Edwards, Aragona ('gona), and Regency as well as affluent areas such as houses along the Bay, Church Point, Witchduck Point, Great Neck north of First Colonial, Birdneck, and the North End. But for the most part, the area is middle class: Cypress Point, Haygood, Lake Smith Terrace, Thoroughgood, Pembroke Meadows, Baylake Pines, Great Neck south of First Colonial, Little Neck, and Thalia.

Because North VB is middle-class not some rich uber-neighborhood. You have poorer areas like Lake Edwards, Aragona ('gona), and Regency as well as affluent areas such as houses along the Bay, Church Point, Witchduck Point, Great Neck north of First Colonial, Birdneck, and the North End. But for the most part, the area is middle class: Cypress Point, Haygood, Lake Smith Terrace, Thoroughgood, Pembroke Meadows, Baylake Pines, Great Neck south of First Colonial, Little Neck, and Thalia.

Maybe Hoobo was refering to the northern part of the ocean front near Edgar Cayce's Center?

Maybe Hoobo was refering to the northern part of the ocean front near Edgar Cayce's Center?

I take the Necks to mean Great Neck, Little Neck, and Birdneck not to mention Witchduck Point, Thoroughgood Point, and Church Point. Those areas, particularly Little Neck and Great Neck cover tens of neighborhoods ranging from working class to upper class. To people from HR, North VB refers to everything north of I-264. If adctvmonkey was refering to just the northern residential area of the oceanfront near the Edgar Cayce center, then it has a name: the North End. But that's only a sliver of northern VB.

This is a totally off-topic thought, but here goes.

I've always wondered why North Virginia Beach doesnt have some type of general and broad nickname to denote its wealth, kind of like a miniature scale of 'The Hills' in Cali. Current descriptions seem too fragmented. I was thinking a catchy name might be 'The Necks' because of the obvious geography of that area.

I thought it did. People call it "the north end" and it's known to be where the wealth is.

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S OFFICIAL: THE BROADWAY STRIKE WAS APPROVED AND IS UNDERWAY AS OF 3PM TODAY. If any of you are planning a theatre trip to manhattan, read the following:

trip iF http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/10/theater/...C+F4dDNAxyg7riQ

This whole event has triggered a constant situation where I get Goo goo dolls "broadway is dark tonight" stuck in my head.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have posted a bit on the VB forums, but mostly on the Norfolk forum. I live in Ghent and my family is strongly considering a move to VA Beach. I'm looking for feedback from people who live in VA Beach and who are familiar with the school systems. Any and all thoughts/guidance would be appreciated!

We always thought we'd be great in Ghent. We love the area, love that it is a walking community etc., but the sad thing is that the public schools are not the best. Taylor and Ghent Elementary are good through 5th grade, but then the middle schools are not that great, and then things rebound again for high school at Maury. My sense is that motivated, proactive, kids can get a solid - even world class - education in Norfolk, but there are a lot of moving parts and I'm not sure we'd be successful in achieving our goals. VA Beach, particularly in the Cox, First Colonial, and Kellam areas seems like it would be a lot easier for our kids to get a great education.

So, we are considering moving to those districts. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions? What do you guys think of those areas and what do you know about the schools? Thanks!

It snowed really hard, but the ground was so warm that most of it didn't stick around. I live over by centerville trnpk and we had about an inch on the ground this morning, which quickly melted by noon. Oh well, we've got a shot at another storm by mid-week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

okay, I just came across something weird and have no idea how to even post it. I was playing around on maps.live.com. I was looking at the towncenter from all four angles. During that time of moving around it I came across an old image that still shows the site with the trees still on it. All I can say is play around with it and move around until it happens. I can say that the image with all the trees is in the shot that has the Wachovia building in it.

you can also do this with the convention center, for those of you who miss the old building. Also, if you go to google maps, there is a very weird fusion of the convention center on its satellite image.

Edited by urbanlife

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My new toy I pieced together (one of the main components died on Sunday though).

This was just a test.

2502121312_45813d7f48.jpg

2501293179_056e240eff.jpg

The videos are better... it was filling the entire top half of the tower with animations. Need to get a different interface for the computer though as the one I have isn't fast enough (too much flicker).

• 2 weeks later...

That's cool. I've seen and read a lot about this by the graffiti research lab. If anyone is interested in checking this out. I've attached a link. They do some cool work and have even been showcased by the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.

http://graffitiresearchlab.com/

Ah! yes, cool group of guys. A friend who used to live in Hampton Roads but moved back to NC, he was working on writing an app to do pong. We were going to do it on the AT&T building, with a red laser pointer for player 1, and a green one for player 2. I don't know why, but their graffiti application requires a really really fast computer to pull off what is pretty simple. They wanted a dual core, very new high end PC with dual video outputs to run their application.

My friend was doing similar stuff with a single processor G3 Mac (Not saying Mac is better, we're mostly platform agnostic).

My laser died and attempts to repair it have been futile. So the new one should be here middle of next week.

• 1 month later...