Tallahassee: Restaurants

Florida

Last night we had a GREAT dinner at Andrews 228. It was a very nice valentine's day. That was my first visit to 228. I have been to the grille and bar many times before for lunch, but never to 228. I was very impressed with 228, the decor was nice, great atmosphere, and the menu/food was very good. I had the chicken marsala and my date had the filet. For valentine's day they had a special couple's menu that offered an appetizer, each got a salad, main course, then shared a desert. I honestly think the appetizer was the best. Petite sirlon with a fantastic sauce with some sort of cream cheese french onion type of spread.....very tasty!

We will be going back there soon hopefully.

After a trip to somewhere new for dinner, it got me thinking. Is there a Tallahassee dining magazine? Any sort of gourmet local food magazine? I am sure there are many places in our area that many of us have either never tried, or just didn't know existed. I think it would be great to see a Tallahassee food magazine. (and if there is one out there, where can I pick one up at?)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting you ask this. Not long ago I had a copy of a publication released a few years ago that gave sole focus to some of Florida's finest restaurants, going from region to region, with Tallahassee, of course, being the focal point of the Big Bend. I'm not sure if they publish this every year, it was a Florida Trend: Top Restaurants, and in it there were summaries, price ranges, dress code, and ratings. I'll try to find out if they still publish this.

Funny you mention Chicken Marsala, because that's what I cooked for myself last night. First time I experiemented with Marsala at home and I must say, I was very pleased with the results. I just had the remainder for lunch today.

Speaking of cooking, I've been doing a great bit of it lately as a part of a new plan I'm working on. Do any of you have any special items you like to cook, and if so, do you mind sharing your recipies?

Interesting you ask this. Not long ago I had a copy of a publication released a few years ago that gave sole focus to some of Florida's finest restaurants, going from region to region, with Tallahassee, of course, being the focal point of the Big Bend. I'm not sure if they publish this every year, it was a Florida Trend: Top Restaurants, and in it there were summaries, price ranges, dress code, and ratings. I'll try to find out if they still publish this.

Funny you mention Chicken Marsala, because that's what I cooked for myself last night. First time I experiemented with Marsala at home and I must say, I was very pleased with the results. I just had the remainder for lunch today.

Speaking of cooking, I've been doing a great bit of it lately as a part of a new plan I'm working on. Do any of you have any special items you like to cook, and if so, do you mind sharing your recipies?

Cooking is my favorite thing! I got all kinds of good recipes. I got an awesome white wine chicken recipe, very easy too. Sometime this weekend I will send you a message with some good stuff.

Now since cooking is the topic, who/what restaurant has the best chef? My vote goes to the guys at Cypress followed in a close second to the chefs at mosiac.

Saturday night my cousin's and headed down to Sage. Incidently it was the restraunt I wanted to try, yet we decided to head elsewhere. Luckily we ended up there after trying a few other places and learning they were completely booked for the night. We arrived and they set a table for us and after a bit of a wait were attended to by a waiter. The place is sort of hard to find and while the decor is acceptable it's nothing fancy, It seemed as if the owner and her family knew most of the other patrons personally. I ordered the rack of lamb, one of my cousins ordered grouper the other had salmon. The grouper was basically inhaled and he didn't recall how it tasted. The lamb was quite good as were the sides. The salmon was the best tasting salmon I have ever had the pleasure of eating. We saw a couple of people ordering quite impressive looking desserts and I decided to try a strawberry tart with almond ice cream. It was fantastic. The patissier is a great replacement for my previous favorite who left town about a year ago. I had a very tasty and enjoyable meal at sage with my friends, desipe the dull atmosphere of the place.

missnic: your sources look to be correct. According to the Democrat, they are saying that IHOP wants to put a location on N. Monroe and another on The Parkway. I like watching all the bloggers on the Democrat trying to figure out where they'll go.

Here's the article

They mention a McDonald's at the corner of Mag and The P'way where Borders/CVS are now. I remember the motel there w/the IHOP in it at one time, but I don't remember the McDonald's. Can anyone verify there was one there in the past?

Concerning Roadhouse, I looked at their website today. I didn't realize they were such a small chain, I thought they were nation-wide. They are only in 6 states and Florida has the most stores. I called the number listed for our location and it just rang and rang. I also called the two locales closest to us; Panama City and Ocala and they are both open as of today. Thank goodness for unlimited cell minutes. :)

Bienvenido EL IHOP!

Yeah I'm not sure at all what they will be putting in that retail/restaurant looking bldg. going up out at Summit East.

If El IHOP is going to open on North Monroe by April, I doubt they'll be tearing that building down. I wonder how they'll reconstruct it, if at all?

The Texas Roadhouse seems to be a much bigger chain than just the generic Roadhouse like we had. Change our Roadhouse into a TX Roadhouse looks to me like it would be an easy conversion.

Archived