Baton Rouge City Profile

NCB

• 4 weeks later...

^

Well that will make a great case on why we should have light rail :/

Parents move out to Walker/Watson/BFE just so little Timmy and Jennifer can study without fearing for their safety. I don't think a street car will bring them back. It might help attract young people without kids.....but even they have this weird tendency of eventually settling down and reproducing. Who knew!?!

Public transit should be built when there is demand for more dense housing in the core of the city. It can then branch off from there. Baton Rouge has made incredible strides, but it's not there yet. Houston has proven that the chicken does indeed come after the egg in this circumstance. Their first metro line did very well....and IMO should be the model for Baton Rouge.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Parents move out to Walker/Watson/BFE just so little Timmy and Jennifer can study without fearing for their safety. I don't think a street car will bring them back. It might help attract young people without kids.....but even they have this weird tendency of eventually settling down and reproducing. Who knew!?!

Public transit should be built when there is demand for more dense housing in the core of the city. It can then branch off from there. Baton Rouge has made incredible strides, but it's not there yet. Houston has proven that the chicken does indeed come after the egg in this circumstance. Their first metro line did very well....and IMO should be the model for Baton Rouge.

Isn't the only reason the METRO works so well is TMC? Parking is incredibly hard to come by so people are forced to use the rail. Still to this day there aren't alot of housing options along the rail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Check this site out too...

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

Cool  BR Map from 1908 shown...won't let me post it here

Looking back, looking forward

As Baton Rouge continues to look at ways to reshape its infrastructure to fit a complete streets model, it might be helpful to look back at how the city grew to where it is today. The US Geological Survey has historical maps of the city dating back to 1908, when areas like Southdowns and along Highland and Perkins roads were little more than swamplands and fields.

Recently, the USGS made those maps available online in a tool that overlays available historic maps on what's essentially a navigable Google Maps-like platform. You can go to a location, pick a historic map, and scroll around, increasing or decreasing the opacity of the older map to see how the street grids have changed.

These maps might provide some context while we anticipate some major developments in the works that are poised to change how we view certain neighborhoods and thoroughfares across the city.

Take for instance the Model Block project on Government Street, which is currently under construction. The project involves several businesses between Bedford and Ogden drives being revamped, including the old Darensbourg building, which will lease out three suites on the first floor and house Ritter Maher Architects upstairs.

The Greenway Project, which began construction at Expressway Park in June, will create a biking and walking path to link City Park with downtown via the green space beneath the I-10/I-110 split.

Maybe in several decades we'll look back on the maps that feature these new improvements and see how they've led to smarter decisions on how we utilize space in Baton Rouge.

Thanks to Center for Planning Excellence for the link to the USGS historical map tool.

http://www.225batonrouge.com/7172014/Smart_City/Looking_back_looking_forward

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I don't know about that logo, if someone from somewhere else asked me what I thought that meant I don't think Id be able to explain how that applies to BR.

But has anyone noticed BR in the media lately. I think Kip did set up a marketing fund though. I watched a Lifetime movie set in BR and an LSU fan video was on Jimmy Kimmel and then BR was mentioned on the first NCIS New Orleans episode.

I don't know about that logo, if someone from somewhere else asked me what I thought that meant I don't think Id be able to explain how that applies to BR.

But has anyone noticed BR in the media lately. I think Kip did set up a marketing fund though. I watched a Lifetime movie set in BR and an LSU fan video was on Jimmy Kimmel and then BR was mentioned on the first NCIS New Orleans episode.

If I remember correctly Baton Rouge is in NCIC NOLA a lot. I know they have frequently filmed here too. 

What does everyone here think about Baton Rouge marketing itself as "The Creative Capital of the South"? 

Doesn't make sense as of now. Hopefully it does though.

And by a lot I mean about as much as a show primarily set in New Orleans can be, but there are some BR outings. I think the show plans to cover the whole South East.

Yeah I saw Mobile mentioned once so it makes sense.

• 5 weeks later...

Baton Rouge ranks No.10 in nation with largest income inequality according to Huffington Post

- list below - 

1. Atlanta, GA

2. New Orleans, LA

3. Washington, DC

4. Miami, FL

5. Gainesville, FL

6. Athens-Clarke County, GA

7. New York, NY

8. Fort Lauderdale, FL

9. Dallas, TX

10. Baton Rouge, LA

Surprised LA, Chicago, and San Francisco are not on this list, but BR makes sense. 

Baton Rouge ranks No.10 in nation with largest income inequality according to Huffington Post

- list below -

1. Atlanta, GA

2. New Orleans, LA

3. Washington, DC

4. Miami, FL

5. Gainesville, FL

6. Athens-Clarke County, GA

7. New York, NY

8. Fort Lauderdale, FL

9. Dallas, TX

10. Baton Rouge, LA

Surprised LA, Chicago, and San Francisco are not on this list, but BR makes sense.

No NYC, LA, SF, etc...

I call bull