Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

... she's hot (Rowe);

that was a decent show. that Beth Kassab... I still don't understand what her beef is with development. she wants to be a naysayer and be skeptical of the optimistic developers... but to what end? so that noone ever builds anything downtown again? or is she operating under the implication that all these developers' motive was to turn a big profit regardless of their genuine interest in improving DT?

... she's hot (Rowe);

that was a decent show. that Beth Kassab... I still don't understand what her beef is with development. she wants to be a naysayer and be skeptical of the optimistic developers... but to what end? so that noone ever builds anything downtown again? or is she operating under the implication that all these developers' motive was to turn a big profit regardless of their genuine interest in improving DT?

Regardless, isn't that what everyone's motivation is? We all work for pay, whether it is for ourselves and we find our clients and our pay is dependent on our aggresiveness in the market or whether we work for someone else and we demand compensation for our work in that way.

And I agree, Lauren Rowe is smokin'.

• 3 weeks later...

Dozens arrested in downtown Orlando crackdown

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,1138435.story

This makes downtown sound dangerous.

I like this last paragraph:

Sgt. Barbara Jones said officers have conducted a few of these operations in the past and they would do them again.

Why are they not doing it nightly until they have no one to arrest and put a nip in this bud?

• 3 weeks later...

The Sentinel's new downtown blogger, Kieran Fitzpatrick, has a post about the many problems going on at the Metropolitan. Apparently the renovations were so shoddy that there have been multiple special assessments, condo fees have more than doubled, and now 40% of the residents are simply not paying the condo fees because everything is breaking.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/community...etropoli-1.html

I'm surprised this hasn't been in the news more.

The Sentinel's new downtown blogger, Kieran Fitzpatrick, has a post about the many problems going on at the Metropolitan. Apparently the renovations were so shoddy that there have been multiple special assessments, condo fees have more than doubled, and now 40% of the residents are simply not paying the condo fees because everything is breaking.

The comments after the blog dismay me. The 'buyer beware' attitude's underlying premise is that it is foolish to believe anything else but that developers and contractors have no ethics and have disovered ways in which to legally fleece as much money as the sucker, er, buyer will let them. If there were such a thing as ethical developers and contractors, I'm sure they would be upset...

Its situations like these that make me yearn for the return of the Code Duello to augment the civil courts system. Perhaps people would take more care with their promises and be in general more polite.

not surprised. we all pretty much saw this coming which was why many of us on these boards preferred that this prime piece of real estate be cleared for new construction.

in any case, while i sympathize, i'm not following the HOA reserves argument. The HOA does NOT have to collect dues to cover reserves, this is up to the board and residents to vote on. I know at The Waverly we started with no reserves being collected (as was turned over to us from the developer) and slowly introduced them, first at 50% then at full 100% reserves.

So yes, my HOA dues are up 65% since purchasing from the developer back in 2004 (and some of the increase has a lot to do with building insurance doubling), but I expected this. It's naive to think that the HOA dues that the developer quotes during initial purchase are even close to sufficient. It's just enough to keep the building going as is legally required. And why would any developer volunatarily quote and set dues any higher than is legally necessary??? to be nice guy?? its a high competition business and sales are what counts.

The comments after the blog dismay me. The 'buyer beware' attitude's underlying premise is that it is foolish to believe anything else but that developers and contractors have no ethics and have disovered ways in which to legally fleece as much money as the sucker, er, buyer will let them. If there were such a thing as ethical developers and contractors, I'm sure they would be upset...

I thought the same thing, but it's typical for most of the people who bother commenting on the Sentinel. Exactly where does he request that the government bail him out? But in the same vein, what if people just stop paying and it goes into foreclosure? I invite everyone to look back upon the Ocoee Colony Hotel (or whatever it's called) thread to see if they want that downtown for a few years. As praha said it's a great lot, but in this market it's likely to sit empty for a while even if they can cleanly foreclose on everyone.

Kind of reminds me of the issue with the homes built out on the former bombing range. Shady developers, lax city inspectors, and people who probably didn't do too much homework... I guess they all share some blame.

How about "The Grande" ? I think both buildings are a waste of prime real estate and will probably end-up just like the metropolitan.

The Grande is hidden under the 408 and and I don't consider that prime real estate. I guess that could change when the PAC is built. I have not heard much how that conversion was handled and where the association fees are at. That is a relatively new building so I would think it would take some time for the maintenance expenses to come into play.

• 3 weeks later...