Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Would this be in addition to the "plans" for all the property GVSU bought on the north side of the freeway?  Or in place of them?

At the NOBL board meeting tonight, GVSU's Manager of Operations said this deal would allow GVSU to focus its current attention on a smaller footprint, higher-rise building (including an integrated parking structure) on Michigan and delay attention on larger footprint, lower-rise buildings north of the freeway.

Sounds like a smart decision to me. Expand across the expressway once the surface lots have been developed. It wouldn't feel like much of a 'campus' with one building on one side of the expressway and buildings on the other side.

Joe

With MSU starting construction as early as February and with GVSU adding a facility here maybe even next year, the Medical Mile is about to become quite a gauntlet of buildings. Hang on.

Jade Pig has already sold that garage to MSU.  The Bagel Beanery afaik is owned by Martha's Vineyard. The McDonald's in the middle of everything appears to be owned by McDonald's and not owned by a franchise.

Here's a map of the major players in that section of Michigan.

GjYWC0g.jpg

Edited by Gorath

Martha's Vineyard owns the property at the corner of Michigan and Lafayette? That's almost like a winning lottery ticket they can cash in at any time.

They own that corner, the land next to McDonald's, and the Bagel Beanery Corner. I believe Terra Firma was working with them on the parcel next to McDonald's (that terrible Starbucks proposal). Maybe we should all sit down with them and pitch some development ideas (whoever is interested).

Who owns 320 Michigan, the spot between LMCU and the Kamell Chamelly/AMOCO gas station?  It's not CWD is it?  Speaking of Starbucks, I was thinking that the Old Kent Bank at the NW corner of MI and Lafayette would be a good spot for one.  It has plenty of space for sit down, and a drive thru.  Does Spectrum own that?

The name of the owner for 320 Michigan according to tax records is "Interstate WSHE Corp".  Not sure what that is, but there is an Interstate Warehousing of MI out in Hudsonville that deals with meat packing.  Maybe they are related, but it seems unlikely.  The better indicator of who owns 320 Michigan is the owner mailing address on the tax records which points to "Prime Development"

Edited by Gorath

The name of the owner for 320 Michigan according to tax records is "Interstate WSHE Corp".  Not sure what that is, but there is an Interstate Warehousing of MI out in Hudsonville that deals with meat packing.  Maybe they are related, but it seems unlikely.  The better indicator of who owns 320 Michigan is the owner mailing address on the tax records which points to "Prime Development"

Which is this developer:

http://mibiz.com/news/real-estate/item/21797-park-it-elsewhere-developer-asks-gr-to-reconsider-parking-lot-along-grand-river

I believe old Marcel Burgler used to own an advertising agency in GR back in the day.  He was always considered an "interesting" person.  From advertising to real estate development is a curious career development.  More power to him.

I believe old Marcel Burgler used to own an advertising agency in GR back in the day.  He was always considered an "interesting" person.  From advertising to real estate development is a curious career development.  More power to him.

A developer named Burgler. It's like Lemmen Chevrolet. :)

I met him once, I think he has an accent?

• 1 month later...

I used to work there when the spectrum real estate division was in the building. Surprised they moved the c-suite there. It's a great building but is showing its 'age' (relative to the renovation).

Joe

Sounded like they had made a lot of renovations to it. I haven't been in there in probably 5 or 6 years.

Confirmed, SHMG Cs. Also business development vps among others. I'm told we have options on all the leases in the building and we take them on when others leave or expire. Building is nice, no complaints.

Ah yes, SHMG. I misheard the person who told me, thought they meant Spectrum Health (hospital group).

That seems like it would open up some possibilities for those tenants to take over spaces in other buildings. Not sure who's left in there? People Design? Full Circle Marketing? C2AE?

• 9 months later...

GVSU is planning to put up a 80,000 sq ft medical building near the corner of Lafayette Avenue NE and Hastings Street NE. They're going to start taking down houses next spring and it should be done by the summer of 2018 costing a little over $30 million.

"The building will be a four-story building with 14 labs, and numerous classrooms and offices for faculty and staff as well as study spaces."

http://woodtv.com/2015/10/23/development-continues-along-medical-mile-in-gr/

GVSU is planning to put up a 80,000 sq ft medical building near the corner of Lafayette Avenue NE and Hastings Street NE. They're going to start taking down houses next spring and it should be done by the summer of 2018 costing a little over $30 million.

"The building will be a four-story building with 14 labs, and numerous classrooms and offices for faculty and staff as well as study spaces."

http://woodtv.com/2015/10/23/development-continues-along-medical-mile-in-gr/

There ya go. Do we still think it will look like this? Seems like there were some other angles of the building around here somewhere..

Hastings-Lafayette-aerial01.jpg

Never mind, sounds like this design was before GVSU bought the properties:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/11/gvsu_seeks_to_expand_on_medica.html

Although it sounds similar, 80,000 sf, 4 stories, labs...

Edited by GRDadof3

There ya go. Do we still think it will look like this? Seems like there were some other angles of the building around here somewhere..

Hastings-Lafayette-aerial01.jpg

Never mind, sounds like this design was before GVSU bought the properties:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/11/gvsu_seeks_to_expand_on_medica.html

Although it sounds similar, 80,000 sf, 4 stories, labs...

It won't look like that...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...