The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiosity, why do skyscrapers around here tend to be shorter than they are in other big cities? I was glancing over the list of new construction in Toronto and Chicago, and nearly everything is 45+ stories. Here we tend to see a lot more buildings in the 20-30 story range. Is it just that Atlanta is not as intensely developed and that we still have huge amounts of undeveloped land in the city?

It doesn't matter to me since I'd personally rather see Atlanta develop with midrises, but the contrast caught my eye.

I think its mostly economics... cost of land, price per sf, etc that make taller buildings not only possible but a neccessity in those cities. Its really only those cities and Miami that are building a bunch of really tall buildings

As you've said in Atlanta there is still soooo much room for development that it probably becomes less economically feasible after a certain height.

I think its mostly economics... cost of land, price per sf, etc that make taller buildings not only possible but a neccessity in those cities. Its really only those cities and Miami that are building a bunch of really tall buildings

As you've said in Atlanta there is still soooo much room for development that it probably becomes less economically feasible after a certain height.

Just out of curiosity, why do skyscrapers around here tend to be shorter than they are in other big cities? I was glancing over the list of new construction in Toronto and Chicago, and nearly everything is 45+ stories. Here we tend to see a lot more buildings in the 20-30 story range. Is it just that Atlanta is not as intensely developed and that we still have huge amounts of undeveloped land in the city?

It doesn't matter to me since I'd personally rather see Atlanta develop with midrises, but the contrast caught my eye.

More future towers

-The other project by Related Group that was mentioned in an article posted earlier will be behind Lenox Mall overlooking GA 400. It will be a joint venture between Simon and Related and will have around 700 condos (aimed at a younger demographic than Cityplace) in two towers called Lenox Towers.

Lenox mall owner in deal to build condos nearby - AJC

-Met Life has filed an application with the Atlanta Regional Commission for the property across the 17th street bridge from Atlantic Station currently known as Midtown Heights. The planned development will include 350 condos, 655,000 sf office space, and 30,000 sf of retail.

Has anyone projected the amount of office space that will be in downtown and midtown combined assuming all projects come to fruition?

I'm predicting a HUGE increase in MARTA ridership with all the new jobs (hopefully) and condos planned. I think in the next 10 years, the investment in heavy rail will have paid off, and it will be near capacity, and hopefully the idea of BRT will have been revised to something more capable of handling the huge increase in ridership.

^^ Dont know anything about that site but someone did say that soil samples were being taken on one of those lots.

Has anyone projected the amount of office space that will be in downtown and midtown combined assuming all projects come to fruition?

I'm predicting a HUGE increase in MARTA ridership with all the new jobs (hopefully) and condos planned. I think in the next 10 years, the investment in heavy rail will have paid off, and it will be near capacity, and hopefully the idea of BRT will have been revised to something more capable of handling the huge increase in ridership.

The proposed BRT to Cobb County that was supposed to connect to the 10th St. Station (I think). I think that it will be way over capacity.

While 10% is certainly healthy growth....living in Boston has shown me a whole different side to rail useage. 2.5 minute headways with everytrain in rush hour filled to standing room capacity. I truly think that at least MARTA's North line will achieve this kind of ridership.

For comparison, Boston's downtown has 50M sq ft of office space and about 260k workers, and is served by 3 heavy rail lines and 4 light rail lines, and 2 BRT lines. I'm just curious what downtown/midtown will have in terms of office sq. ft. assuming the current building boom all pans out.

^Downtown Atlanta has only one section. I think what you were trying to get at is how many business districts are there in Atlanta. The answer to that question is three: Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead. Unfortunately there is also more to it then that. Perimeter Center has a fairly impressive skyline as does the Galleria Area, however those areas are not in the city limits of Atlanta.

I think the Hilton is supposed to be about the same height as the Mansion, about 48 stories. The project also contemplates a condo tower of about 40 stories behind the hotel. The Paramount, which is also about 40 stories, is right behind the Mansion.

Archived