The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what region of buckhead is being compared to rodeo drive? the only part i can think of that may be dense enough to warrant heavy street retail is the area right around phipps. (unless you are talking about the malls, which shouldnt really be compared to rodeo)

also, midtown mile is being designed around the magnificent mile in chicago, which includes: Gucci, Chanel, Bulgari, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, etc. etc.... so i think the *aim* definitely is upscale... also, while buckhead undoubtedly has the higher end condos at this point, there are a number of high end hotels planned for the be quite attractive to high end retailers.

I'm not crazy about it. Buildings with windows that shift around at random are a pet peeve of mine. It's quite unfortunate for me that I have to look out at Palmer House from my bedroom since it is one of the worst offenders.

However, it's just a personal preference and I can see how others would like the building. I'm just glad to see more housing. It worries me every time I see a "mixed-use" development with a million sq ft of retail and then a couple hundred housing units that could never ever on their own support the retail being built.

what region of buckhead is being compared to rodeo drive? the only part i can think of that may be dense enough to warrant heavy street retail is the area right around phipps. (unless you are talking about the malls, which shouldnt really be compared to rodeo)

also, midtown mile is being designed around the magnificent mile in chicago, which includes: Gucci, Chanel, Bulgari, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, etc. etc.... so i think the *aim* definitely is upscale... also, while buckhead undoubtedly has the higher end condos at this point, there are a number of high end hotels planned for the be quite attractive to high end retailers.

As already mentioned the Buckhead Village is what they have been planning for a few years. The first phase was to close the clubs.

The Midtown Mile, though I hope it is very successful, I can assure you it will not have the retail that Buckhead offers. Atlanta can not support two Gucci's, LV's, etc. It was said on another forum that Atlanta shouldn't try to be like another city; what good is it when people come visit Atlanta and the first thing they say is the real thing is in Chicago. I totally agree, why immulate another city and not even come close to being on the same caliber?

As already mentioned the Buckhead Village is what they have been planning for a few years. The first phase was to close the clubs.

The Midtown Mile, though I hope it is very successful, I can assure you it will not have the retail that Buckhead offers. Atlanta can not support two Gucci's, LV's, etc. It was said on another forum that Atlanta shouldn't try to be like another city; what good is it when people come visit Atlanta and the first thing they say is the real thing is in Chicago. I totally agree, why immulate another city and not even come close to being on the same caliber?

What would you suggest, ATLLA? If we can't support retail on the Midtown Mile, what do you think it is better suited for?

If you're suggesting that the Midtown Mile could support retail, just not ultra high-end retail, what type of stores could you envision there?

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I have just been viewing instead of engaging in the conversation. So I would like to "Step Back In" If you will.

This is from the Latest Business Chronicle. Related Group of Florida (Cityplace Buckhead) Have Other Projects planned for the Buckhead Area. (I will type the first few paragraphs Verbatum):

Miami Firm Plans 500 More Condos

By Lisa R. Schoolcraft

A Miami developement firm with plans to build 3,800 luxury condominium units in Buckhead is already looking at two more projects that would add at least 500 units.

The Related Group of Florida expects to begin construction of the first condo tower in the more the $2 billion CityPlace at Buckhead, on 19 acres near the intersection of Roxboro and Kingsboro roads in Buckhead, in about nine months, said Jorge M. Perez, CEO and chairman of The Related Group, who visited Atlanta Nov 7.

"We are also looking at two large jobs with over 500 each, both in Buckhead," he said. "With those projects, one straight condo and the other a hotel with condo units on top, we have more than enough to hold us in the Atlanta market."

Perez wouldn't divulge much about the pending projects, which are not yet under contract, but did say the hotel would be a new flag in Atlanta.

For now, the focus is still CityPlace at buckhead, expected to include 1,860 condo units, 28 townhouses, and 110,000 square feet of retail and commercial space.

The first building of Cityplace will have 250 condo units. It is a priority of theirs to get that started as well as the townhomes. They are not concerned with Atlanta's softening condo market. Construction (on Cityplace) is to begin mid to late 2007.

I threw together and end of the year project update. Its not likely we'll see much new through the holidays though there is talk of The Atlantic breaking ground this month.

O=Office Space, R=Residential, H=Hotel, E=Exhibit Space

B=Buckhead, M=Midtown, D =Downtown

Under Construction

1. 3344 Peachtree - 48 stories, O/R, 650 ft B

2. The Mansion on Peachtree - 42 stories, H/R, 580 ft B webcam

3. Twelve Centennial I - 39 stories, R, D webcam

4. ViewPoint I - 36 stories, R, M webcam

5. 1010 Midtown - 35 stories, R M

6. Terminus 100 - 33 stories, O, B

7. 10 Terminus Place - 32 stories, R B

8. Gallery - 27 stories, R, B webcam

9. 45 Allen Plaza/W Hotel - 26 stories, H/R, D webcam

10. Lenbrook Square - 25 stories, R B

11. Aqua - 24 stories, R, M

12. Mezzo - 22 stories, R B

13. Parc @ Buckhead - 20 stories, R, B

14. Two Peachtree Point - 18 stories, O, M *nearing completion

15. Americas Mart II - 18 stories, E, D webcam

16. 201 17th Street - 17 stories, O, M

17. Onyx - 16 stories, R M

18. Twelve Centennial Hotel - 16 stories, H, D webcam

19. GSU Dorms - 15 stories, R, D *topped out

20. 55 Allen Plaza - 14 stories, O, D *topped out webcam

21. Hilton Garden Inn/Park Pavillion - 14 stories, H, D

Proposed/Planned

1. 14th Street mixed-use tower- 59 stories, O/H/R M *Rumored to become a Ritz hotel w/ design changes

2. Trump Towers Atlanta I - 48 stories, R M *Construction start in '07

3. 50 Allen Plaza - 34-48 stories, O D

4. The Atlantic - 46 stories, R M *48 units sold

5. The Stratford Hilton - 43 stories, H/R B

6. Post @ Allen Plaza - 42 stories, H/R D

7. One Midtown - 40 stories, O M *'07 construction start planned

8. 12th & Midtown Phase II - 40 stories, H/R M *'07 construction start planned

9. Hines Peachtree Tower - 40 stories, H/R M

10. Allen Plaza tower - 40 stories, R D

11. Allen Plaza tower - 40 stories, R D

12. Cityplace A - 40 stories, R B*Construction start in '07

13. Cityplace B - 40 stories, R B

14. Cityplace C - 40 stories, R B

15. Cityplace D - 40 stories, R B

16. Cityplace E - 40 stories, R B

17. Cityplace F - 40 stories, R B

18. Cityplace G - 40 stories, R B

19. Cityplace H - 40 stories, R B

20. Terminus 4 - 40 stories, R B

21. Terminus 5 - 40 stories, R B

22. Twelve Centennial II - 39 stories, R D

23. Aries - 38 stories, R D

24. Trumps Towers Atlanta II - 38 stories, R M *Construction start in '07

25. 3630 Peachtree South Tower - 36 stories, O/R B

26. ViewPoint II - 33 stories, R M

27. ViewPoint III - 33 stories, R M

28. Tower @ Phipps I - 32 stories, R B

29. Tower @ Phipps II - 32 stories, R B

30. 1163 West Peachtree - 32 stories, R M '07 construction start planned

31. The Stratford Residences - 32 stories, R B

32. 12th & Midtown Phase III - 20-30 stories, O/H/R M

33. The Premiere @ Fox Plaza - 30 stories, R M *Site clearing underway

34. Atlantis Tower - 29 stories, R D

35. St Regis Buckhead - 26 stories, H/R, B ~construction start delayed

36. Palomar Hotel Atlanta - 26 stories, H M *'07 construction start planned

37. 3690 Peachtree - 25 stories, R B

38. Post @ Allen Plaza Apt building - 23 stories, R D

39. Terminus 200 - 22 stories, O B

40. Luxe - 22 stories, R M

41. Cityplace I - 20 stories, R B

42. Phipps Tower - 20 stories, O B

43. The Brookwood - 19 stories, R B

44. 271 17th street - 18 stories, O M

45. Buckhead Place - 16 stories, R B *Site clearing underway

46. Days Inn condos I - 15-20 stories, R D

47. Days Inn condos II - 15-20 stories, R D

48. Prominence Two - 14 stories, O B

49. Astoria @ Aramore - 14 stories, R B *35% sold

50. 1753 Peachtree - 14 stories, R B

51. One Museum Place - 13 stories, R M

52. Fox Plaza Tower II - O/H/R(?), unknown height M

As many already know, the development that Integral was going to build at the intersection of Centennial Olympic Park Drive and Ivan Allen Blvd has been cancelled. Integral has put the property on the market. The company handling the sale has come up with the following conceptual drawings for the site:

cpe-north.jpeg

cpe-north_above.jpeg

cpe-south.jpeg

cpe-northeast.jpeg

cpe-sp-lower.jpeg

cpe-sp-upper.jpeg

If someone did build this plan, I expect that the office building (the orange building) would be taller. The plaza is weird in that they already have a wide walkway into the property but it is an odd shaped lot due to the Techwood-Springs tunnel so it looks like they're trying to find something to do with the left over triangles of space.

I don't like that the tall tower is about 15 feet from the frontdoor of Sheltering Arms. I don't think highrises should crowd two story buildings. If the highrise was put on the corner instead, it would work better. Of course it would block my personal view of Midtown but my name isn't Mary Norwood. It's more appropriate on the corner because the building across the street is eight stories instead of two and Ivan Allen is four lanes instead of the narrow driveway that would divide the tower from Sheltering Arms. Also because of the exit of the Techwood-Springs tunnel, the tower wouldn't actually be straight across the street from another building.

A couple of notes on these images.

They are conceptual rather than an actual proposal from a developer.

The red areas are retail... I don't think they actually mean that the walls will be red

The Union Mission in some of the images has been replaced by a couple of midrise buildings in a totally different configuration from the existing buildings. Is this creative liberty or do they know something the rest of us don't?

The roads in the images haven't been updated for the changes from West Peachtree Place-Alexander to Ivan Allen.

Though it has a funky 70s feel to it and the color is certainly there a code rather than actual design, I do think the orange wall mixed with the smoked glass for the office space is cool looking.

Condo guru sees Atlanta looking up

Urban units to be hot: Miami builder will put prediction to a test with CityPlace at Lenox Square.

By Julie B. Hairston

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/09/06

Despite concerns among some metro Atlanta real estate professionals that the city may be overbuilt with condominiums, Miami condo mogul Jorge Perez says the current construction frenzy is only the outset of Atlanta's urbanization trend.

Perez, president and CEO of the Related Group, is betting big money on his opinion, having recently won rezoning of a 19.5-acre site near Lenox Square. He plans to break ground on the first of a mixed-use village with nine high-rises in mid-to-late 2007. The project, CityPlace, will also feature a series of pocket parks and townhomes along the border.

"We've been looking at Atlanta for quite a long time," Perez said during an interview at the offices of Smallwood Reynolds Stewart Stewart, a local firm involved in the design for CityPlace at Buckhead. "It is one of the most dynamic and growing markets for condominiums in the country."

Perez and his Related Group have a reputation for high-quality construction and a "sophisticated" marketing program that has made it a model company for urban development, said William Hardin, an associate professor in the School of Business Administration at Florida International University in Miami.

Full article:

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/business...perez1209a.html

Archived