The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree...it really "cheapens" the IBM tower in my opinion...makes it looks much less tall and graceful.

Speaking of PFVS...these images were on their website for something called "Atlanta Sports Tower"

06.jpg

01.jpg03.jpg

I've never heard of this....has this ever been rumored, or is it purely conceptual?

Yeah, but it's nice to get some more modern looking buildings into the downtown area. With this and Twelve not to far away, downtown won't look so 80s anymore.

That's a great looking building and I hope it gets built. I think it will also add a little density to the skyline if it's on the other side of the aquarium.

• 2 weeks later...

Another interesting rumor

Rumor has it that Tivoli properties, developer of Aqua and Mezzo, has landed Mandarin oriental for a hotel (and condo I assume) in a 40-story tower on Peachtree on the parking lot next to 1100 Peachtree and the Atlanta women's club. There's supposed to be a Smallwood, Reynolds rendering floating around for the project.

I think I speculated some time back that Mandarin Oriental would likely be looking at Atlanta, but for a developer more upscale than Novare of Daniels. This seems like the right fit and the right location. My only concern is SRSS as the architiect. Its time for new firms to make their mark, and certainly, a project of this caliber deserve something a bit more cutting edge. Regardless, this is a huge coup, as MO's are pretty much creme de la creme or at least equivalent to St. Regis's. Also, assuming that Delta wins the Shanghai flight, I suspect having a MO (which is even more highly regarded in the Orient) could help entice Chinese leisure travel to Atlanta.

I think I speculated some time back that Mandarin Oriental would likely be looking at Atlanta, but for a developer more upscale than Novare of Daniels. This seems like the right fit and the right location. My only concern is SRSS as the architiect. Its time for new firms to make their mark, and certainly, a project of this caliber deserve something a bit more cutting edge. Regardless, this is a huge coup, as MO's are pretty much creme de la creme or at least equivalent to St. Regis's. Also, assuming that Delta wins the Shanghai flight, I suspect having a MO (which is even more highly regarded in the Orient) could help entice Chinese leisure travel to Atlanta.

Wow.....that's an amazing amount of development. I really hope that as the surface parking lots disappear, and land values continue to rise, that some of the owners of the office buildings that have those horrible 80's style open spaces and plazas, will look to maximize their value and infill these spots with low and midrise buildings.....there are just some really suburban site plans that will stick out like a sore thumb as these newer properties are built with a much more urban streetscape.

It turns out that not only is the rumor true but Mandarin Oriental is also moving their US developments offices to Midtown.

Lots of other new in this weeks ABC

-Midtown Heights...Metlife's mixed use project is now called Metropolitan Center and plans to break ground in August. It'll include a 27-story office tower and a luxury apartment tower in the 30-story range.

-Trump Towers plans to break ground June 1. As a side note Wood Partners may do more Trump projects in Seattle and LA.

-One Museum Place, John Weiland's modern luxury condo project plans to begin demolition also on June 1 with construction starting after Labor Day.

-12th & Midtown plans to break ground on the 40-story office tower in the spring.

Here's a map showing the location of the Mandarin. 1010 is under construction, 1075 Peachtree, Phase II of 12th & Midtown, plans to break ground in spring.

Archived