Charlotte Crane Count

CLT Development

25 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Charlotte has stretch-out room because it's a younger/newer city, like many sunbelt places, and not because it's trying to grow in a "disproportionately suburban" way.

First, Charlotte is experiencing an outsized amount of residential construction, permitting 10,903 units through June of this year, making it #6.  Again, that's just absolute numbers of construction making it number 6, and not even the number of new units as a proportion of existing.  As a boom city, it is drawing a very diverse resident profile inclusive of both urbanists and suburbanites, young and family and old.  It has given its real estate industry the flexibility to deliver as wide a variety of product as possible to accommodate the booming desire to be here.

In addition, 56% of its new residential units permitted this year were single-family, with the balance as multi-family.  And anyone living here can see that much of our multi-family is clustering in the usual spots in and around center city and in various places along the blue line, and also clustering as infill in places like South Park where office parks are infilling with residential to make them mixed-use with tons of pedestrian interconnectedness.  In Atlanta, the single family proportion of permits was also 56%.  In Dallas-Ft Worth, it was 62%.  In Houston, it was 67%.  In Tampa, it was 54%.  In DC, it was 50%.  

It's not like Charlotte is some major outlier or some modern urbanizing laggard like you're making it out to be, and in many cases, the sheer number of multi-family units we're building outnumber the units being added in older, historically dense cities and as a % of existing multi-family stock, our numbers are through the roof.  We're growing and urbanizing just fine.  We're a credibly large city with a massive airport with award-winning planners and corporate employment base that punches well above its weight.  We're a city that straddles the line between two states and are effectively the capital, the heartbeat and the crown jewel of the integrated Carolinas region of the country totally 16 million plus in population.  We're under intense pressure to rapidly urbanize and yet we attempt to bridle it a bit in the name of responsible and thought-through growth.  At the end of this intense pressure to grow and build, we don't want to wake up and find ourselves having sacrificed all our natural resources and conformed our wetlands and floodplains to some urbanist's wet dream only to wake up and confront environmental disaster, a hollowed out skeleton of our former selves in all our green natural splendor and charm, left with the fortunes and outlook of a Newark, NJ.

That’s off topic. I was just responding to Larry Singer that I don’t think Charlotte is misfairly represented or maliciously left off of list, etc. 

If you want to talk about Charlotte’s growth over the decades, or other markets, the coffeehouse is probably more appropriate. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

That’s off topic. I was just responding to Larry Singer that I don’t think Charlotte is misfairly represented or maliciously left off of list, etc. 

If you want to talk about Charlotte’s growth over the decades, or other markets, the coffeehouse is probably more appropriate. 

I'm correcting the record on Charlotte's growth as being just as urban as anywhere else and fully entitling it to representation on any crane list that's out there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, RANYC said:

I'm correcting the record on Charlotte's growth as being just as urban as anywhere else and fully entitling it to representation on any crane list that's out there. 

Your record is wrong. And Charlotte isn’t maliciously omitted or lacking representation. Especially on a list that only has a few areas anyway.

Do you think Charlotte is the only city being treated unfair or something or are there other areas too that aren’t getting their dues? Charlotte constantly gets high accolades in many reports and within the media (that I see, at least). And the same is true for various booming sunbelt cities like Atlanta, Houston, Raleigh, etc.  Someone asked why people have a certain image of Charlotte despite its booming, the answer is because its growth has been pretty low dense and sprawling over the decades. Thats literally a huge key to charlottes sustained growth; low cost of living, plenty of space, great place to raise kids, growing economy, etc. That’s the answer…  I assumed you knew about NYC given your username, but maybe I assumed wrong. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Your record is wrong. And Charlotte isn’t maliciously omitted or lacking representation. Especially on a list that only has a few areas anyway.

Do you think Charlotte is the only city being treated unfair or something or are there other areas too that aren’t getting their dues? Charlotte constantly gets high accolades in many reports and within the media (that I see, at least). And the same is true for various booming sunbelt cities like Atlanta, Houston, Raleigh, etc.  Someone asked why people have a certain image of Charlotte despite its booming, the answer is because its growth has been pretty low dense and sprawling over the decades. Thats literally a huge key to charlottes sustained growth; low cost of living, plenty of space, great place to raise kids, growing economy, etc. That’s the answer…  I assumed you knew about NYC given your username, but maybe I assumed wrong. 

Are you not recognizing the density growth along the LRT?  In my opinion, Charlotte's growth hasn't been much different than most other sunbelt cities, but the LRT transformed or at least changed that aspect 10-fold.  In terms of low cost of living, plenty of spaces, great place to raise kids.....that is the key for any place that really wants to grow.  You can only be so "urban" even in NYC and most people simply do not want to live in a dense urban city.  Access to it for amenities as needed and commuting/ working in it, sure.  But living in it, NO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

Are you not recognizing the density growth along the LRT?  In my opinion, Charlotte's growth hasn't been much different than most other sunbelt cities, but the LRT transformed or at least changed that aspect 10-fold.  In terms of low cost of living, plenty of spaces, great place to raise kids.....that is the key for any place that really wants to grow.  You can only be so "urban" even in NYC and most people simply do not want to live in a dense urban city.  Access to it for amenities as needed and commuting/ working in it, sure.  But living in it, NO.

I do recognize that, yeah. On the growth along the Blue Line, the growth relative to peers and a vast preference for people who do want lower cost of living, space, etc. all as you stated. Especially the last couple sentences (access to urbanity but not necessarily living in it. That’s really been a key to the urbanization of sunbelts IMO. For a lot of people, it’s the best of both worlds have access to walkable urbanity but still having your lower cost and larger homes. All of the growth occurring in metropolitan areas is going to give rise to nice urban districts)

I don’t disagree with anything you said at all. 

(Though I still think there’s plenty of demand for urban living that supply just can’t keep up with given certain zoning laws etc pricing out so many families or working folks, etc.) 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

39 minutes ago, MarcoPolo said:

Great work all!  Looks like we are getting close to a final number.  

While we tabulate and cross check, I'm sleuthing about to make sure other City candidates for inclusion, are, lol!  Miami, and the South Florida metropolitan area, North America's version of Dubai, most certainly will give Toronto a run for its money.   Austin, is another peer City that may join the list.... and believe it or not, Mexico City and Monterrey (Mexico), may both crack into it as well.  

Some of you may already know this, but others will be surprised to discover that Monterrey has quite a Texan vibe about it, in terms of skyscrapers.   Just south of Texas and on the main commerce corridor linking the US and Mexico, this beautifully sited City has developed an impressive collection of tall buildings, including one currently under construction that will top off at 1,559ft.  Yep, you read correctly!   This figure does include a spire, however the main structure is just over 1,300ft tall.   With the spire, I believe it will be the 4th tallest structure in the western hemisphere after the CN Tower in Toronto, 1 WTC, and the Willis Tower, and just inching above Central Park Tower in NYC.   How's them tortillas!  Kidding aside, the carnita asadas in Monterrey are pretty damn delicious! 

Monterey is quite the industrial and business center many of their buildings designed by US architects including DudaPaine of NC.    Here is the tower you spoke of  quite impressive  RISE | The rise of an icon. (risetower.mx)

• Like 2