Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Back in December the city passed an ordinance to allow cluster-style cottage developments. The first cottage style housing development might be coming up soon. If approved it would be near Deane and Lewis in northwest Fayetteville. Basically the city is allowing higher density in exchange for certain designs including types of windows, roofs and porches. I'm all for more density, so this sounds like an interesting idea for me. Even though this one proposed development isn't anything very big at all, or course there's already people in that neighborhood who don't like the idea. I'll be curious to see some of these plans come out and see exactly what they'll entail.

Back in December the city passed an ordinance to allow cluster-style cottage developments. The first cottage style housing development might be coming up soon. If approved it would be near Deane and Lewis in northwest Fayetteville. Basically the city is allowing higher density in exchange for certain designs including types of windows, roofs and porches. I'm all for more density, so this sounds like an interesting idea for me. Even though this one proposed development isn't anything very big at all, or course there's already people in that neighborhood who don't like the idea. I'll be curious to see some of these plans come out and see exactly what they'll entail.

That sounds very similar to how some old neighborhoods were done. The most expensive places had good sized lots and big houses, and the neighborhoods immediately around them had "cute" houses that were kinda packed in a bit closer. Where I live (Hillcrest, in Little Rock) is very much like that with the cottage/bungalow style being popular and the houses being very close to each other. I like how these neighborhoods look, I think it'd be a good move to use a mechanism like that to increase density while still preserving style and single family homes.

The intent of the ordinance is to allow smaller, more affordable housing stock to develop within the city, while maintaining a high level of design and aesthetic. I like the form-based codes and this ordinance for that reason. I'm interested to see how it turns out, although I will admit that I would be very skeptical if this was happening next door to my own home.

This may have been already posted, but I keep mentioning this to friends, and business owners, and they act like they have never heard or seen anything about this.

http://www.accessfayetteville.org/government/strategic_planning/documents/Downtown_Master_Plan/06_Chapter_3_043004.pdf

This is Fayetteville's downtown master plan. They intend for it to be done in the 2025-2030 range (Ive seen both listed)

I have no idea what happened with that. I tried to paste a pdf file here.

It's the city's downtown master plan. It's from 2004, but the plan was to be completed in 2025-2030.

These drawings seem awesome

Idk if this is still set to happen, cause every time I mention this, people act like they have never heard or seen anything about this

That plan is more a guide to future development than anything else. The roads and infrastructure changes are relatively minimum to the scope of the overall plan. The form-based zoning that is required to get to that plan is only being adopted piecemeal.

I don't think the current planning commission and city administration seem too enthusiastic about moving towards that layout as a goal. Seems to me like they scoff at some of it because it was the vision of the previous mayor and staff. The reality is it was the vision of residents who gave their input via a charette process.

This may have been already posted, but I keep mentioning this to friends, and business owners, and they act like they have never heard or seen anything about this.

This is Fayetteville's downtown master plan. They intend for it to be done in the 2025-2030 range (Ive seen both listed)

Welcome to the forum. :) A lot of this was started as the Downtown Masterplan 2020 by previous mayor Coody. Then the city eventually modified the plan as the one you mentioned. All of this was done before the current economic conditions so I imagine a number of people have forgotten about it by now.

IN the last couple of weeks or so I'd noticed there seemed to be more helicopter activity in the city. I finally found out someone's selling helicopter rides somewhere in northern Fayetteville. Sounds like an interesting way to see the city. Might be tempted to give it a try sometime.

Drove through Colt Square today and that Marlon Blackwell addition to the Montessori School is going to be kind of impressive for that area. Its sitting on built up ground, and it is also two stories tall. Kinda surprised me how dominant that building will be on that parcel.

I've always thought Colt Square had a lot of potential as a new urbanist kind of site. Its quiet enough that I could see townhomes/flats working on some of those parcels, or mixed use buildings with ground floor offices, too. A little tangent, but thats what I think every time I go through there.

I've also heard that in that same general area on Elm Street, the Legacy Ventures group is going to be doing another cottage development, like the one that recently passed on Deane Street. I think that's a great spot for something like that. Its close to the university, but still affordable enough so that new projects aren't too expensive to get off the ground.

Drove through Colt Square today and that Marlon Blackwell addition to the Montessori School is going to be kind of impressive for that area. Its sitting on built up ground, and it is also two stories tall. Kinda surprised me how dominant that building will be on that parcel.

I've always thought Colt Square had a lot of potential as a new urbanist kind of site. Its quiet enough that I could see townhomes/flats working on some of those parcels, or mixed use buildings with ground floor offices, too. A little tangent, but thats what I think every time I go through there.

I've also heard that in that same general area on Elm Street, the Legacy Ventures group is going to be doing another cottage development, like the one that recently passed on Deane Street. I think that's a great spot for something like that. Its close to the university, but still affordable enough so that new projects aren't too expensive to get off the ground.

Sounds interesting. It's been a while since I've been over to Colt Square. I need to head over sometime and check it out.

Not Fayetteville, but I don't know where to post. West Fork news. It was just released that we will be getting a Harps in the town of West Fork. The article also mentioned something about a "big bix retailer" buying 5 acres in town as well.

I was just wondering if any of you "in the know" might be able to find out who this big box retailer might be?

Thanks!

Mark Zweig announced via Facebook that he is going to be designing and building several homes in the so-far vacant Summit Place development in mid Fayetteville. This is the hillside behind the new Kum & Go off Township and College. Cool that Mark will be doing these, as those homes will be visible from below, and he always does such a nice job. Another infill project for central Fayetteville, new life, new blood in the heart of town.

• Like 2

Mark Zweig announced via Facebook that he is going to be designing and building several homes in the so-far vacant Summit Place development in mid Fayetteville. This is the hillside behind the new Kum & Go off Township and College. Cool that Mark will be doing these, as those homes will be visible from below, and he always does such a nice job. Another infill project for central Fayetteville, new life, new blood in the heart of town.

Great to hear and have to agree with you, he does a great job and these should be a very nice addition to that area.

The Modus guys who are doing the two big mixed-use projects off Dickson have just submitted preliminary plans for "Project Cleveland" which, if approved, will be a five-story urban-style apartment building across Cleveland Street from Maple Hill residence halls. There's an article at Nwaonline if you have a subscription. 200 units, wrapped parking garage, and a streetside cafe. This one will be their third ground-up development and isn't scheduled for completion until August 2014.

I wish these guys well as they are following the smart-infill, urban development ideas to the letter. Its amazing how much new, quality density we are getting in and around downtown Fayetteville and the university campus.

What I like most about what the Modus guys are doing is that they are tearing down old apartment buildings and putting up new ones. With all the new apartment projects coming online in the next couple of years, I think it's smart that they are REPLACING older units in areas that need some revitalization in prime locations. IMO this will give them a strategic advantage over cookie-cutter designed larger complexes that are on the outskirts of town. I guess we'll see if it works out.

What I like most about what the Modus guys are doing is that they are tearing down old apartment buildings and putting up new ones. With all the new apartment projects coming online in the next couple of years, I think it's smart that they are REPLACING older units in areas that need some revitalization in prime locations. IMO this will give them a strategic advantage over cookie-cutter designed larger complexes that are on the outskirts of town. I guess we'll see if it works out.

Very good point! The renderings look quite impressive on this development. It looks quite a bit taller than 5 stories, maybe 6-7 in some areas.

Totally agree. Infill is good, smart infill that brings up the appeal of areas around them is even better. Sounds like we could use the Modus guys down here in Little Rock...

Of course I've got to agree with you guys on this project and Modus. Although I'm sure there are people out there who don't like how they're putting in higher density projects in. But I'm really looking forward to seeing some of these projects come along.

I know its not a comparison some people in Fayetteville like or think is positive, but these developments they are doing remind me of some of the denser developments in Austin. The campus area is going to look very different in about three years. All for the better, IMO.

The NWA Business Journal had a interesting article recently about the large number of projects aimed at students. It seems there is concern that all the different developers are indentifying the same need and the boom will result in an oversupply of units. This could lead to vacancies, lower rents and unfinished projects. It would seem that the projects closer to campus would have the upper hand in attracting students but those units may be higher rent and so some students would be more attracted to outlying complexes. Hopefully supply and demand will even out before it gets out of hand.

I know for certain that the plans showed at the city meeting where these were approved showed a retail space at the corner of Lafayette and West, and also at the corner of West and Maple. The plans might have changed, but that is what was approved.

The documents requesting the new zoning category for "campus edge" developments like the one at Cleveland Street also specifically request "eating places" as a use included in the zoning. Their intent seems to be to put a cafe in that one, too.

That might not strike you as "mixed use" fully, but they aren't just apartments from the documents I've seen. There is intent to provide small amounts of commercial space.

Edited by wmr

Great to hear and have to agree with you, he does a great job and these should be a very nice addition to that area.

Gee, thanks, Guys. I started a new topic on this project where i can share more info on it. I am really excited about what we'll be doing up there!

M