Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

My only problem is 70% of what city government does is on that list...kind of vague.

Would be like if you hired a new football coach and in his first public press conference he says "I have assembled a fine staff of assistant coaches and during our first meeting we came up with a priorities list. We are going to focus on making the offense score more points, making the defense prevent more points, and our special teams will improve as well." While true, it is what any coach would do, it is kind of vague and tells you nothing of what they are even going to TRY to do.

I agree with you. I decided not to comment about that since I'm always so negative about Jordan's actions. I was glad to see someone else come in and say it better than I could have.

I am also so weary about this whole lead by committee thing. It is good to have wise counsel, but it is not always a given that the counsel will be wise or that the leader would listen to it. I hope he has some own good personal ideas that go beyond the whole loop idea.

A consultant company just released a report for how to cultivate the Fayetteville economy. It actually had many good points. Eva Klein & Associates was paid $150,000 for this report by our city and the UA, so for some reason I feel like I could have told them the same stuff for free (or for like $149,000) however they may have some people listen to them. It outlined 6 goals for success and I highly suggest you read about it.

Economic Stimulus Plan for Fayetteville

On infrastructure for innovation and fostering the sustainability intiative:

...the city needs to create a $100 million venture capital fund or provide matching funds for faculty research grants in sustainability.

On the region's allure:

...Fayetteville is not an island and that if Northwest Arkansas cities stay divided and waste resources competing against each other, there's no way any of them will succeed.

The most perceptive (and yet possibly obvious) statements:

(Klein) added that Fayetteville's two extremes, people who want to grow and develop no matter what kind of development it is versus people who like Fayetteville the way it is and feel that too much change would be bad, need to come together in the middle for the city's best interests.

Klein said less council interaction with the development process and more responsibility on the Planning Commission level would simplify it and allow developments that follow all the city's guidelines and mesh with its future planning to go through without being held up at the council because one individual is against the development.

It's surprising that the current WAC exists at all. It was built against a lot of opposition back in the late 80's due to neighboring businesses and residents thinking that it would cause their property values and so their taxes to increase, which indeed happened. It also spurred the redevelopment of of the decaying Dickson Street area to great sucess. The original plan was for the WAC to have over 2500 seats, which may have precluded the current debate of expanding the

WAC out of Fayetteville. A compromise between the city, UA and citizens led to the construction of the current facilty, which for it's time was a HUGE step above the performing arts spaces available in NWA.

I had always heard that the Waltons had donated $10 million towards the WAC but after some research it's turns out they only donated $5 million. The rest was financed by the City of Fayetteville and the University of Arkansas. If this information is wrong I'd welcome anyone to provide correct figures.

I don't think anyone would see the current facilty as an achitectural wonder or what should be copied. It and the Nadine Baum Studios would be a good compliment for a new building housing a larger theater that would also fit in with the rest of Dickson Street's buildings. It could incorporate other building materials much as the Lofts at Underwood Plaza has done. A new structure on the lot across West Avenue from the WAC could be an architectural marvel that all of NWA could take pride in much as the Crystal Bridges visual arts museum will be in Bentonville.

After reading on and on about the building of a new Performing Arts Center in NWA, I have many questions as to why certain people, groups, organizations, UA aren't stepping in. Now I know only a very small group (Waltons) are able to donate that amount needed to build this thing, but the one that I'm surprised by the most is the University of Arkansas! With the amount of money this University has, it is really stupid that they don't build their own facility. Not only would it help the music department down there, (which needs it) but the University would make ton's of money. The only reason Juanita K. Hammons Hall was built here in Springfield is because of the University and of course Hammons. What many of you don't know is that the city actually tried to pass a city tax to build a Civic Center before but it failed due to the city already having 2 theaters downtown with over 1,200 seats. Now I know Fayetteville doesn't have that luxury but if they want the Center to stay on Dickson the University and the city needs to step up to the plate TOGETHER and make this thing happen. The only way to keep it on Dickson is to raze the current and build anew. I have seen the site that the Waltons Arts Center sits on and its no smaller than the one Hammons Hall is on up here, and let me remind you that Hammons Hall has 2,300 seats. It can be done but the people need to speak out, and the University needs to get off their arse and do something as well.

After reading on and on about the building of a new Performing Arts Center in NWA, I have many questions as to why certain people, groups, organizations, UA aren't stepping in. Now I know only a very small group (Waltons) are able to donate that amount needed to build this thing, but the one that I'm surprised by the most is the University of Arkansas! With the amount of money this University has, it is really stupid that they don't build their own facility. Not only would it help the music department down there, (which needs it) but the University would make ton's of money. The only reason Juanita K. Hammons Hall was built here in Springfield is because of the University and of course Hammons. What many of you don't know is that the city actually tried to pass a city tax to build a Civic Center before but it failed due to the city already having 2 theaters downtown with over 1,200 seats. Now I know Fayetteville doesn't have that luxury but if they want the Center to stay on Dickson the University and the city needs to step up to the plate TOGETHER and make this thing happen. The only way to keep it on Dickson is to raze the current and build anew. I have seen the site that the Waltons Arts Center sits on and its no smaller than the one Hammons Hall is on up here, and let me remind you that Hammons Hall has 2,300 seats. It can be done but the people need to speak out, and the University needs to get off their arse and do something as well.

I wonder if the WAC decides to build their main theater in Benton County if the city might try to do something on it's own or team up with the university as well. The university does have a theater on campus but I believe it's pretty small. I guess it's one of those things that's been put on the back burner. There's always other things to spend money on and no big need to build something when they can use the WAC facilities already in place.

A consultant company just released a report for how to cultivate the Fayetteville economy. It actually had many good points. Eva Klein & Associates was paid $150,000 for this report by our city and the UA, so for some reason I feel like I could have told them the same stuff for free (or for like $149,000) however they may have some people listen to them. It outlined 6 goals for success and I highly suggest you read about it.

Economic Stimulus Plan for Fayetteville

There are a lot of good ideas in that study and it certainly gives some guidance on what the city should concentrate it's economic development efforts on. It was especially encouraging to hear that retaining the main facility of the WAC and attracting the NWA Science Museum were seen as most important goals. Investing in education is another important goal as is creating the jobs for those who will be getting the education.

The one statement about Fayetteville's political extremes, "She added that Fayetteville's two extremes, people who want to grow and develop no matter what kind of development it is versus people who like Fayetteville the way it is and feel that too much change would be bad, need to come together in the middle for the city's best interests.", if quoted corrrectly, is misleading. I think the phrasing misrepresents what the situation is. I'm not aware of anyone who advocates the city growing and developing no matter what type of development it is. It sounds more a charge that the other extreme levels whenever thay see some proposal they don't like.

At the other extreme isn't a view that they like the city the way it is and too much change would be bad- rather it is that they would like the city to be the way they nostalgicaly see it was 50 years ago, even if that city never really existed. It's not that they think too much change is bad but that any change whatsoever is bad- only the most superficial change is acceptable They would like to see the city, especially the central part of town, be kept as a museum piece that is untouchable.

I think the majority of Fayetteville's residents feel that managed growth that is between the two extremes is the correct path for the city. The outspoken minority that is against all development often seems to think they represent all of the city and that is untrue. Those developers advocating growth have no illusions that they represent all the city- they see opposition from every corner no matter what is proposed.

Edited by zman9810

There are a lot of good ideas in that study and it certainly gives some guidance on what the city should concentrate it's economic development efforts on. It was especially encouraging to hear that retaining the main facility of the WAC and attracting the NWA Science Museum were seen as most important goals. Investing in education is another important goal as is creating the jobs for those who will be getting the education.

The one statement about Fayetteville's political extremes, "She added that Fayetteville's two extremes, people who want to grow and develop no matter what kind of development it is versus people who like Fayetteville the way it is and feel that too much change would be bad, need to come together in the middle for the city's best interests.", if quoted corrrectly, is misleading. I think the phrasing misrepresents what the situation is. I'm not aware of anyone who advocates the city growing and developing no matter what type of development it is. It sounds more a charge that the other extreme levels whenever thay see some proposal they don't like.

At the other extreme isn't a view that they like the city the way it is and too much change would be bad- rather it is that they would like the city to be the way they nostalgicaly see it was 50 years ago, even if that city never really existed. It's not that they think too much change is bad but that any change whatsoever is bad- only the most superficial change is acceptable They would like to see the city, especially the central part of town, be kept as a museum piece that is untouchable.

I think the majority of Fayetteville's residents feel that managed growth that is between the two extremes is the correct path for the city. The outspoken minority that is against all development often seems to think they represent all of the city and that is untrue. Those developers advocating growth have no illusions that they represent all the city- they see opposition from every corner no matter what is proposed.

I have to agree with you. I just have a hard time understanding these people who want no growth and want to try to keep things exactly the way they are now. That type of planning just doesn't work. If you stifle all growth you just end up with a stagnant town. Often times I think you end up with a better chance of making your city go backwards. I'm trying to even think if there are any successful cities that effectively cut off all growth and managed to stay a nice city. Planned growth is the way to go. You have to allow for growth and the best way is to simply plan ahead and try to develop things in the best possible way.

I have to agree with you. I just have a hard time understanding these people who want no growth and want to try to keep things exactly the way they are now. That type of planning just doesn't work. If you stifle all growth you just end up with a stagnant town. Often times I think you end up with a better chance of making your city go backwards. I'm trying to even think if there are any successful cities that effectively cut off all growth and managed to stay a nice city. Planned growth is the way to go. You have to allow for growth and the best way is to simply plan ahead and try to develop things in the best possible way.

The old adage from business, IIRC, is "If you ain't growing, you're dying."

The current facility is owned jointly by the City of Fayeteville and the University of Arkansas. The Walton Arts Center is the group that has a contract with the city and UA to operate there- the contract actually says that it has to remain in the city. That is why the new facilty planned is being called an expansion and not a new Walton Arts Center and why they are saying that programing will continue at the current facility.

I agree that the City and UA need to do whatever is necessary to keep the Walton Arts Center's main facilty in Fayetteville and if that isn't possible, to terminate the contract with WAC and either operate their own performing arts center or find another group to contract with. An expansion on a smaller scale with a single larger theater would be less expensive and could sit on the city owned parking lot directly to the west of the current facility.

I think plans are in somewhat of a holding pattern right now. I'd be surprised to hear any final decision in the next year or two.

Edited by zman9810

• 3 weeks later...

Steve Clark the new Chamber of Commerce president has an interesting idea. He wants to move the Washington County fairgrounds down to Drake Field and use the current space to build a national treatment center for toxic illnesses. It's proximity to the interstate and also to Washington Regional would be a good location for something like that. I'm not sure what the chances of having something like this come about. The NCTR (National Center of Toxicological Research) is located in the state down towards Pine Bluff. Having another complimentary facility in the state would be a good fit. A number of years ago when Clark ran for governor he had plans to do something similar down in Little Rock. But now that he's up here, he's brought the idea back out. Clark seems to want to really push to get something going in the health care industry here in Fayetteville. A nice idea to help things along with the satellite campus of UAMS coming to Fayetteville.

Sometimes I wonder, do we even have an urban planner? And even if we did, is there anyway we could fund the revitilization of college ave, east 6th / mlk, and southside fayetteville or are we just going to let suburban developers have their way with it?

Um... Have there way with it, with restrictions... Of height, material, use, intent, and a few others... But other then that they are welcome to use as they wish. Good and bad points to both ways.

As for the moving of the Fair Grounds. That does sound like a good idea. Problems of course, how would that actually affect the area? Would it be appropriate usage of the land? Will the facility be appropriate for the millions of $ the land is worth? I do like any additions to our Health system, hard to go wrong with that. Also, I thought Drake field was wanting to expand? That would put a small damper on things (by the way, Fayetteville needs to absorb Greenland. That would give us room to do what we need. It is not even a city anymore, just an extension of Fayetteville, just like Johnson). I have more to say on this but I am still job searching so I am trying to keep things simple.

http://www.nwanews.com/nwat/News/72819/

Edited by Snaple4

When I was out taking pictures around the Square I noticed it looked like AG Edwards was out of the building across the street from the David Adams Bldg. I can't remember if that building was for sale or for lease. Anyone heard anything about it?

That's the one I'd like to see what is under that modern skin. I bet it's beautiful old building. strmchsr should know all about it..........

Edited by zman9810

That's the one I'd like to see what is under that modern skin. I bet it's beautiful old building. strmchsr should know all about it..........

I believe AG Edwards is now Wachovia and is located in the AMA Building that was the old Fayetteville Public Library. Pagnozzi Charities had an office in the AG Edwards location, but apparently the landlord is hurting and has asked them to start paying substantailly higher rent, as he had basically donated the space to them as a charitable write off.

When I was out taking pictures around the Square I noticed it looked like AG Edwards was out of the building across the street from the David Adams Bldg. I can't remember if that building was for sale or for lease. Anyone heard anything about it?

AG Edwards moved out a while back. The city is leasing some space in there currently but there is still some space available as far as I know.

I found a photo online that I think has that old building in it. The picture says it's the NE corner of the square but in the background looks like the County Courthouse at the end of Center Street, which would make the building on the left corner this building. Anyway, if it is, it would be great to have someone take that building and restore it to it's original facade.

This photo came from Epodunk and hopefully is ok to post here. I read their terms of use and noncommercial personal downloding is permitted. If I'm wrong please delete it, Mith.

ar_fayetteville01.jpg

AG Edwards moved out a while back. The city is leasing some space in there currently but there is still some space available as far as I know.

Guess I hadn't noticed. I've just been referring to that building as the AG Edwards Bldg. Guess we'll have to start calling it something else. I just wasn't sure if they were leasing the building or perhaps even trying to sell it. I do agree with zman, it would be great to see that building underneath the 50's facade.

I found a photo online that I think has that old building in it. The picture says it's the NE corner of the square but in the background looks like the County Courthouse at the end of Center Street, which would make the building on the left corner this building. Anyway, if it is, it would be great to have someone take that building and restore it to it's original facade.

ar_fayetteville01.jpg

I've seen an old picture in some Fayetteville brochure that showed a bit of the building as well. Unfortunately I haven't seen it in quite a while and can't remember what brochure it was. I wonder if it's feasible to ever try to restore it. A while back ago someone was trying to restore the old Ozark Theater building near the Old Courthouse. But the building was in such bad shape under the more modern facade that they couldn't totally restore it. Unfortunately though unless activity picks up on the Square it's hard to see anyone wanting to spend the money to try to restore it to it's original form. Anyway thanks for the pic.

Here's an image of the plan for future street improvements in north Fayetteville. It was discussed in one of the topics related to the NWA Mall area but I'm not sure which one- so I'll post it here. It shows a future extension of Joyce Blvd. to I540 with an interchange and a new road coming off Gregg Ave. running parallel to I540 to Main Drive in Johnson. This would help access to the NWA Mall area tremendously.

scan001001.jpg

Edited by zman9810

Here's an image of the plan for future street improvements in north Fayetteville. It was discussed in one of the topics related to the NWA Mall area but I'm not sure which one- so I'll post it here. It shows a future extension of Joyce Blvd. to I540 with an interchange and a new road coming off Gregg Ave. running parallel to I540 to Main Drive in Johnson. This would help access to the NWA Mall area tremendously.

scan001001.jpg

Interesting thanks for posting the pic. I'm trying to figure out where that one road that appears to go over the Fulbright Expressway connects up past the edge of the picture. Would it head straight south to Drake or follow the southern edge of the interchange and head west to Garland? Also looks like this new road off I-540 goes right through Zero Mtn.

Interesting thanks for posting the pic. I'm trying to figure out where that one road that appears to go over the Fulbright Expressway connects up past the edge of the picture. Would it head straight south to Drake or follow the southern edge of the interchange and head west to Garland? Also looks like this new road off I-540 goes right through Zero Mtn.

I'm not sure where that southbound road ends. It looks like it is angling to parallel the railroad tracks so intersecting with Drake is the likely spot. Anf yeah, the Joyce extension goes through Zero Mtn- not sure how that wouold work either. There is a lot of acreage to work with so I imagine it was thought out well enough to cause the least disruption.