A new tower for Columbia?

Spartan

Hmmm, that looks very similar to a massive project that is under way right now in Columbia as part of the USC campus. :D

Very good. :) I must've misunderstood the statement because this comment:

I agree entirely that we need to get beyond USC, but all of the housing developments across Columbia for USC are very sprawlicious (Ie University commons, college suites, all the new ones across the river).

led me to believe that there was a massive amount of suburban style development (i.e. sprawl) going on around the campus. My mistake.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good. :) I must've misunderstood the statement because this comment:

led me to believe that there was a massive amount of suburban style development (i.e. sprawl) going on around the campus. My mistake.

Ahh, thats an easy mistake. Check out a map of Columbia. The area west of the Congaree River is decidedly less urban in character than the area to the east (downtown). Developments related to the university such as student oriented housing/apartment complexes are the same as you would find around colleges anywhere or any suburban part of Columbia for that matter.

Downtown is characterized by a strong street grid and the USC area itself is very urban. If you check out the thread on the USC/Guignard Master Plan you will see the type of developments we are talking about. Its looks very similar to the development you posted abuot earlier.

I didn't mean to mislead anyone... but the Greek village (and others) just bothers me. It look like a wonderful suburban neighborhood, just in the middle of the city. I mean, it looks strikingly similar to my parents neighborhood outside G'vegas. It, in my opinion, it just doesn't belong where it is. It should have been on down assembly beyond or near the current USC baseball stadium removed from a major artery into the city (Blossom). That area is going to look very out of place once and if innovista really takes off.

The private sector is just really missing out around campus and the student crowd. Adesso is too high for most us to pay and there are a lot of college students who would be willing to pay slightly elevated rent for the location (just not that of a condo in Adesso)

I didn't mean to mislead anyone... but the Greek village (and others) just bothers me. It look like a wonderful suburban neighborhood, just in the middle of the city. I mean, it looks strikingly similar to my parents neighborhood outside G'vegas. It, in my opinion, it just doesn't belong where it is. It should have been on down assembly beyond or near the current USC baseball stadium removed from a major artery into the city (Blossom). That area is going to look very out of place once and if innovista really takes off.

The private sector is just really missing out around campus and the student crowd. Adesso is too high for most us to pay and there are a lot of college students who would be willing to pay slightly elevated rent for the location (just not that of a condo in Adesso)

It seems to blend in with its environment (colessium, strom thurmond center, etc.) IMO. The area looks pretty urban being that its mostly paved with sidewalks fronting the houses. It's not like the houses are cookie cutter subdivision types. If those houses are similiar to your parent's, then your parents must live in a very huge house (with 2+ stories).

Also, speaking of Adesso, while I was eating lunch on the River Walk today, I noticed that it will be visible in the city's skyline (especially when coming from Cayce across the Blossom street bridge). So that's one big point (or small one) for Columbia's skyline.

• 1 year later...

Super Pope, I agree completely. The Greek Village looks ridiculous, especially where it is. I much rather have the old warehouses back that used to line the streets, and like you said, they could build the village further out on Assembly or elsewhere. The old warehouses could have been converted into a cool additional entertainment or shopping district. I used to love going to the huge antique mall in one of them before USC ruined it. :angry:

I can't say i like the Greek village that much and sure it does stand out as being awkward where it is currently, but it won't for long. As the Innovista masterplan start to take place [especially the stadium and converting the coliseum parking lot to green space] it will blend in more. I hate the antique mall is gone too, but from what i was told...that building was on its last leg anyway...it was sad to see it go because my grandmother use to like going there.

Most schools that have greek villages that I have been to tend to have rows of large house looking things crammed near each other like that. Its not enough to be unique, but probably enough to impress impressionable potential freshmen.

• 1 month later...

I THINK COLUMBIA IS READY FOR A NEW TALLEST TOWER. ALSO COLUMBIA NEEDS TO STOP LIMITING THEM SELFS. A COOL 60 STORY TOWER THAT IS PLACED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY SKYLINE ufiles1086.jpgcomcast-center-phila-topoff-245x400.jpgAND ALSO HAVE A SECOND TALLEST TOWER IN COLUMBIA THAT HAVE SOMETHING UNIQUE AND NOT JUST A BIG BOX THAT LOOKS TOO MODERN.philadelphia65.JPG

While I woud love to see this happen, I have to respect market demands. I don't know if Columbia could support something like this without a major corporate relocation a la Bank of America in Charlotte to achieve something like that.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i also recommend a new tower be built along sumter but closer to richland street. we need a tower to help fill in the gap between main and boa. hopefully the next project will also be a signature tower for the capitol city.

That close to my idea my idea puts in on sumter st also but between the meridian. on lady st . im planning to display that to the mayor when i get up with him for me meeting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived