A new tower for Columbia?

Spartan

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres the Detailed Drawing of the Palmetto Spire. not too much. and trust me this idea is kinda cool. i will give more How and where it would look like in the City Skyline.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4535504442/

Not bad. An(other) observation deck would be a cool thing, maybe with a rooftop restaurant like the other one whose name escapes me at the moment.

Heres the Extended Idea Put together. its 2 Complex. i included a Map so you can see where im talking about.http://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4535109857/

Columbia ECO Plex and and Cola METRO. A Complex of Riverside Condos Businesses Hotels and Apartments and Of Course Entertainment.

Is this proposed for the Columbia side of the river? Because you know there's already a big riverfront park planned.

Not bad. An(other) observation deck would be a cool thing, maybe with a rooftop restaurant like the other one whose name escapes me at the moment.

I believe the rooftop restaurant you are thinking of is in Capstone and rotates. Don't know the actual name of the restaurant though. Has anyone ever eaten there / is the food any good?

Is this proposed for the Columbia side of the river? Because you know there's already a big riverfront park planned.

On the Riverside but not near the Innovista Project. its Further Down the Riverfront somewhere near The William Brice Stadium. Side of hte Riverfront.

OH Ok now i know whats your talking about. No this Part is Pass Interstate 77. Look at the Map i posted just above the Picture.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

It's becoming more and more conceivable that a new tower will be built in the next 1-3 years downtown. With the Palmetto Center to be transformed into private dorms and Aflac's announcement to substantially grow and likely expand downtown. When you take the Palmetto Center out of the available office space equation the occupancy level abruptly goes up from 77.33% to roughly 90%, this would make downtown ALOT more attractive for a new class A office tower, possibly even a new tallest.

It's becoming more and more conceivable that a new tower will be built in the next 1-3 years downtown. With the Palmetto Center to be transformed into private dorms and Aflac's announcement to substantially grow and likely expand downtown. When you take the Palmetto Center out of the available office space equation the occupancy level abruptly goes up from 77.33% to roughly 90%, this would make downtown ALOT more attractive for a new class A office tower, possibly even a new tallest.

Yeah me too. lets hope if a new tower do go up downtown that it has a dynamic design that will change the city's skyline forever. i rather not see another big box. but if it is a box i hope they add curves and sharp points.

it might be more then one towers in downtown. also you got to remember we have Innovista for Innovative designs in buildings and everything. Green street might be a new spot for a new skyline. maybe that corridor might turn into another Main st for Columbia in the coming years. maybe 10-15 years from now.

I just emailed Holder Properties from their website to make sure they are aware of Aflac's needs and told them Columbia needs a 30-story tower with a game-changing look.

Nice i might just email them also so they can look at it. I hope they will look into my design if they do look into this. I would love to get reconition for my idea.

Why not just move AFlac to the Palmetto Center? It would have to be cheaper to convert office space to a different office user than to convert it to residential. Aflac could probably get the building for a song, which would allow for a significant renovation. It would probably be a lot quicker than building new too.

Why not just move AFlac to the Palmetto Center? It would have to be cheaper to convert office space to a different office user than to convert it to residential. Aflac could probably get the building for a song, which would allow for a significant renovation. It would probably be a lot quicker than building new too.

Yeah i was thinking that also. but i mean who wouldn't want to see a new tower in downtown anyway. i would improve the skyline at the same time improve business in downtown.

think about it palmetto center into a residents and a New tower for Aflac. imagine all the new stores and restaurants that would open in downtown to handle all the new people. its a win win situation

For some reason I feel like the Palmetto Building to dorm is not really a serious proposition. It seems like every once in a while there is a big idea like this thrown out, but they never seem to come to fruition (at least in Columbia). As much as a new tower would be great, I don't see Aflac building one with such a glut of office space downtown and out in the suburbs if that's something they would consider.

For some reason I feel like the Palmetto Building to dorm is not really a serious proposition. It seems like every once in a while there is a big idea like this thrown out, but they never seem to come to fruition (at least in Columbia). As much as a new tower would be great, I don't see Aflac building one with such a glut of office space downtown and out in the suburbs if that's something they would consider.

The city's staff has requested that the proposal for the Palmetto Center be deferred. It might be put on next month's agenda.

http://columbia.sc.gov/cocextranet/assets/File/PlanningDevelopmentServices/BoardsCommisions/Agendas/PDS_BoZA_2012_04_10_Agenda.pdf

I completely agree. It would be nice to see the duck at the top of the building and it would pretty much replace all of the employees lost with the SCANA relocation.

I think it would take some work to bring the building up to class A office space, but I agree Aflac would be a good fit. City staff had asked for a deferral on the private dorm zoning and the zoning signs were removed, but I see today they're back on the building. The request is for an exception to the rule that there can be only 150 beds per acre.

• 10 months later...

So far, looks as though the proposal to turn the Palmetto Center into dorms is very much a real possibility, and the newly merged SCBT bank, maintaining headquarters in Columbia, will obviously need more space. I foresee a new tower of at least 20 stories with the bank and Aflac as the main tenants.

Archived