Civic Theatre Renovation

joeDowntown

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow they really are renovating that whole block. It's amazing the things you miss when you're 2000 miles away. Will there be any kind of retail going in that area or is it going to be offices for the theatre company. Or will they remain largely empty.

Wow they really are renovating that whole block. It's amazing the things you miss when you're 2000 miles away. Will there be any kind of retail going in that area or is it going to be offices for the theatre company. Or will they remain largely empty.

Theatre offices along Division, and there is a new nail shop and tax accountant in the retail space facing Monroe Center.

I saw this on Mlive this morning:

"In recognition of Fred Meijer's lead gift for the $10 million restoration of the 103-year-old theater, the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre board has approved renaming the building Meijer Majestic Theatre."

For the complete story go to http://www.mlive.com/newslogs/grpress/inde..._08.html#177859

n1254330091_30032894_4422.jpg

n1254330091_30032895_4895.jpg

Just to keep you all informed, A Chorus Line is going very well. Rehearsals have been underway for a couple weeks now. I got a tour of the inside of the new theatre.. They put up a new curtain with gold lining to match the seats. Very elegant.

Also! The sidewalks around the entrances are heated! No shoveling this winter...

Just to keep you all informed, A Chorus Line is going very well. Rehearsals have been underway for a couple weeks now. I got a tour of the inside of the new theatre.. They put up a new curtain with gold lining to match the seats. Very elegant.

Also! The sidewalks around the entrances are heated! No shoveling this winter...

Heated sidewalks, that will be great. No one should slip on any ice in the area. Thanks for the updates BoywithDreams and Welcome on your first posting :thumbsup:

The windows look excellent :shades:

Also, for those of you who have been "out of the loop"..

Marvin Hamlisch will be coming to open up the new theatre, "A Grand Night At the Majestic" on Wednesday, September 20th. Mr. Hamlisch was the original musical composer for the Broadway Production which opened in the 1970s.

marvinHamlisch.jpg

Also, some pictures from GRCT.org :

http://www.grct.org/features/renovation/

:thumbsup:

I saw this on Mlive this morning:

"In recognition of Fred Meijer's lead gift for the $10 million restoration of the 103-year-old theater, the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre board has approved renaming the building Meijer Majestic Theatre."

For the complete story go to http://www.mlive.com/newslogs/grpress/inde..._08.html#177859

I love the new name. Wasn't the theatre originally called the Majestic?

edit: YES it was (WZZM video)

Indeed, it is a great name. the Majestic sounds so cool.

Looking at the pics that Civic has up:

pic003.jpg

What are these black triangular things? I assume it is some sort of catwalk for lighting. This is the one thing that I think looks kind of crappy. I remember that I hated the squares that they chopped out of the plaster and how unfinished and shoddy it looked. Whatever they are doing hasn't improved it much (I hope there is finish work to be done).

The interior paint job looks fantastic!!

Joe

Indeed, it is a great name. the Majestic sounds so cool.

Looking at the pics that Civic has up:

pic003.jpg

What are these black triangular things? I assume it is some sort of catwalk for lighting. This is the one thing that I think looks kind of crappy. I remember that I hated the squares that they chopped out of the plaster and how unfinished and shoddy it looked. Whatever they are doing hasn't improved it much (I hope there is finish work to be done).

The interior paint job looks fantastic!!

Joe

I love the old time look of the stage. I can almost hear an old Whilitzer Organ playing right now.

FYI:

The theatre has ALWAYS been called "The Majestic Theatre"...

Grand Rapids Civic Theatre is just a corporation using the Majestic Theatre Facilities.

So now, instead of Majestic, it's Meijer Majestic. But it will always be "Grand Rapids Civic Theatre".

P.S. - The new curtain is a dark maroon color with gold lining, and the carpet is also dark maroon, as well as the seats.

Get ready for a color change to those green baywindows. Division will get a really nice facelift.

Sure would be nice to see Azar's building get fixed up.

Nice color change sfloria, and thanks for the interior updates:

237872816_7469401afc_b.jpg

(you can see the old color to the right)

It appeared that they either had a show last night, or were giving more tours, because people were streaming out of the back entrance when I went by. With the makeover to the Civic (Majestik), it really makes the rest of the neighborhood look out of place now.

239998310_16a39abc50.jpg

Curbs are in and the so is the snow-melt system:

239998315_12df8b0084.jpg

This looks great! I like the lanterns in the atrum entrance. In my opinon one of the last pieces of the puzzle is the lot across the street. If not the the mixed use high rise Rizzo posted, then it seems the best use for the lot would be a parking structure. Parking for the Keeler, Kendell and the Meijer Majestic, and retail on the street! I think someone here before said the foot print is big enough to support a ramp.

That lot is definitely big enough for a ramp mp.

The rejuvenated Division side. What a great surprise to find as you're travelling up Monroe Center.

"We had turned our back on downtown," Tinker said. "We're no longer going to ignore our prime location. We're using that corner to tell people where we are. The new Division Avenue entrance will make it easier for people to dine downtown before a show."

- Bruce Tinker, Civic Theater's Artistic and Executive Director

246473604_4ad0343c19_b.jpg

246475513_17564bef4b_b.jpg

Here is an article today on Mlive about the Civic re-opening:

Quote:

"A bit of that majesty returns to downtown Grand Rapids this week with the opening of Grand Rapids Civic Theatre's newly named Meijer Majestic Theatre"

The complete article is here:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

Archived