Civic Theatre Renovation

joeDowntown

I like what I'm seeing of this project so far. Just a couple of questions. First, is the wall being enclosed by the atrium going to be blown out? With the wall there, the atrium seems kind of nerrow. Secondly, when is the completion date? I'm eager to see the finished product.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what I'm seeing of this project so far. Just a couple of questions. First, is the wall being enclosed by the atrium going to be blown out? With the wall there, the atrium seems kind of nerrow. Secondly, when is the completion date? I'm eager to see the finished product.

Well, I can't help you with the completion date, but regaurding the brick wall, what you see is what you will get...with the exception of two more doors cut to make the "decorative" staircases functional.

However, I don't think that the narrowness is a problem. First, the atrium can't be deeper without taking over the sidewalk. Also, the three large openings have already done a great deal to open the lobby into the atrium. It really isn't an area that people are going to spend alot of time; its function is to contain the new stairs to the balcony and provide a grand entrance and slight extention of the lobby. But in regard to a grand entrance, I think even this narrow entrance will create a great effect.

One more side note:

I am going to reserve judgement until its completion, but I would have liked to see a glass roof as well so the the entire atrium would have a transparent quality that doesn't block any of the view of the original building.

• 2 weeks later...

What is this on the east side of the theater? There's an "A" over the door and a big sign on the wall that has an "A" in a beer stein and "33 Sheldon NE".

The sign next to the door says "Cheeseburgers, chilidogs, meatloaf sandwiches, and assorted sandwiches". Is this a restaurant?

194184514_c4309ced31.jpg

What is this on the east side of the theater? There's an "A" over the door and a big sign on the wall that has an "A" in a beer stein and "33 Sheldon NE".

The sign next to the door says "Cheeseburgers, chilidogs, meatloaf sandwiches, and assorted sandwiches". Is this a restaurant?

I believe it is an "alternative" lifestyles bar.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

seinfeldnv3.jpg

A quick google search seems to support your belief.

No that there's anything wrong with that..

As dbrok said above, there's a nice piece in the June or July issue

of Grand Rapids Magazine talking about the history, the move,

the ambience, the crowd, etc.

Someone told me they have a show scheduled for the first week of September.....good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Link:

Wood TV - Civic Theatre Video

I like the paint job in the Theatre. I've always marvelled at the plaster job and wondered why it was all white. Not anymore :thumbsup:

Joe

They're also painting the exterior trim detail on the tan building on the corner of Monroe Center and Division Joe (above the nail shop). Check it out! That whole little block is going to finally have a little pizazz.

Archived