Baby Bi-Lo site redevelopment downtown

gman430

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

Personally, I'm not saying that 6-8 stories would be inappropriate. However, saying that you should be able to replicate the size of the Landmark building simply because you're 'a block away' would produce a strange dynamic, IMO.  There's also a HUGE different between being at the corner of Main/Academy versus being at the corner of Park/Townes -- a distinction that nobody is making in this conversation.  

Ok. I see your point now. Distance wise it is really closer to 3 or 4 blocks away, based on a typical DT grid distance.

The creek running underneath the site along with the terrible soil conditions there are two very good reasons at to why you won’t see a high rise built here. Nothing can get built where the creek easement is located which is why the middle of the site has no building on it in the proposed plans. 40,000-60,000 cubic yards of soil is going to have to be removed from the site which is going to cost the developer millions of dollars before construction can begin also. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

The creek running underneath the site along with the terrible soil conditions there are two very good reasons at to why you won’t see a high rise built here. Nothing can get built where the creek easement is located which is why the middle of the site has no building on it in the proposed plans. 40,000-60,000 cubic yards of soil is going to have to be removed from the site which is going to cost the developer millions of dollars before construction can begin also. 

All true, but the soil will be replaced regardless, so the creek is the real impediment.  A 7-8 story building here on the Academy side of the property would not be out of place IMO,  given what is nearby and the topography.  Something as tall as the Landmark building would not be though.    

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Did it even get approved?  It never went before any board that I recall. There was opposition to the height from neighbors. 

It never went before any board for approval. They had a neighborhood meeting way back in June but that was it. Even with the opposition to the height, the proposed project is still in compliance with the new development code. I guess the neighbors there would rather have an empty shopping center with homeless people everywhere. Baffles me as to why.

Edited by gman430

• 3 months later...