Charlotte/Raleigh Highrise Building Booms

JacksonH

22 hours ago, KJHburg said:

These proposed building maps are all very interesting but we all know some of those towers won't be built anytime soon.  But they are fun to look at and in the case of Raleigh many required rezonings so that means those sites are now available for taller buildings.    Every booming city is slowing down due to the national interest rate m arket and construction financing markets which are not so good now.  But like I said they are fun to look at!  And at least in Raleigh Nashville and Charlotte and Austin we have lots of proposals some cities would struggle to have more than a couple.  

This is about a 20 year build out for a lot of these projects.  With the economy the way it is there will be some casualties no, no doubt, especially from the smaller developers. Many of these projects come from out-of-town big boy developers. Most of these projects are in close to the core and that despite not having a viable mass transit plan. I think that may have spurred a lot of development because folks can just walk, uber or bike to work. Some of these buildings are being built with no parking.

7 hours ago, norm21499 said:

How in the heck does Nashville have so many approved and proposed high-rises!?

A lot of this has to do with the housing shortage as many of these towers are residential in nature. There are also a lot of hotel towers too. The hotel occupancy and ADR are out of sight here. Ask Keven when he wants to get a hotel downtown and how much they are. You might as well be trying to book a hotel in NYC. three hundred a night in about the average for a room in the downtown average right now in the shoulder season. If there is a special event a $1000 a night is not out of the question. Ask Keven how far out he stays. 

There are also big developers with multi tower projects in the works. Tishman Speyer with a 2 tower, RMR out of Boston with a 10-tower project, Hines with an 8-tower project, Centrum out of Chicago with a 3-tower project, The Congress Group out of Boston with a 3-tower project, Bosa out of Vancouver w/ a 3 building high-rise project, & Portman Holdings with a 3-tower project. All of the land is bought and paid for. Other developer such as Lincoln, Highwoods are also planning multiple tower projects. SW Value Partners with a 9-tower project under construction. There have also been several dual tower projects completed with more still proposed from entities out of NYC and Miami, Chicago and other cities. Our local developers other than GBT, & Giarratana have sort of stopped building here, Giarratana has 3 high rises under construction, 2 approved, and 2 more in the works. The local developers are sort of priced out. Southern Land is doing projects in Charlotte and Philadelphia for example however they do have a low-rise campus planned in E Nashville.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Nashville's tourism industry convention goers and just plain tourists just dwarfs Charlotte's for sure.  There is no comparison and they do need more hotels as their room rates are sky high all the time downtown.  But without a transit system to speak of people who want to visit or have business downtown stay downtown.  Whereas in Charlotte you can stay south of Southend or in the University area and ride a train into the city.  I tell people they have surpassed New Orleans as a go to location to party and have bridal parties of all kinds there.  It is like putting a Key West and New Orleans together with a country twist and you have major tourist destination.  Yes I stay routinely 20 plus miles out due to the price and the cost to park a car downtown is very expensive.  I think Nashville is a great adult destination but I really would not call it a family destination.  Charlotte with its theme park Carowinds and Whitewater center is more of that. 

Speaking of the tourist dollars, Nashville is the number one tourist destination in the state now surpassing Gatlinburg bringing in over 9.97 billion dollars a year now. That is a third of the total for the state. Shelby (Memphis) and Sevier (Gatlinburg) counties combined do not even match the Davidson County totals now bring in around 7 billion combined.

Parking is another issue as there is no longer free parking downtown as the parking is enforced 24/7 now. A few of us still know where free parking is! Valet parking in the hotels is around $50 per night. NYC prices.

With a new mayor now, He has promised to introduce a voter transit referendum in his first term. But we have to get a funding plan in place first without new property taxes as the last mayor raised taxes by some 30 something percent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

Omni Hotel & Resort will be the hotel brand for the 500 room hotel project for the Raleigh Convention Center. Will likely be in the 25 to 30 story range though to be honest anything is better than an empty parking lot. 

Here are some convention center hotel projects they have completed in the near past, expect this one to be similar:

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 1.58.49 PM.png

Update:

"Omni Hotels and Resorts plans to build a 550-room hotel featuring a rooftop pool, spa, and meeting space. It will be built on a parking lot across from the Martin Marietta Center for the Performing Arts. The 27-story hotel will be about as tall as the Truist tower. Raleigh city council selected the developer to build a new luxury hotel downtown to allow for bigger conventions."

Man this quote "The 27-story hotel will be about as tall as the Truist tower" shows how little the author knows about building heights. I would expect this hotel to be more than 100 feet shorter than Hannover Square. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Man this quote "The 27-story hotel will be about as tall as the Truist tower" shows how little the author knows about building heights. I would expect this hotel to be more than 100 feet shorter than Hannover Square. 

WRAL journalism has gone way downhill. Their reporting on Vinfast is also garbage, with no investigative lens and just functioning as a propaganda arm for Vinfast. The small Chatham Journal Newspaper has done more investigative reporting / has higher quality Op-Eds on the plant and Vinfast's shenanigans.  

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

The design of this hotel is subject to change, it's just an initial render of what the developer can do.

One city council member did express the need for height and build material quality so those comments will influence the design the hotel when that process gets started. 

Given that the Raleigh Convention Center expansion timeline has been accelerated this hotel needs to be built ASAP. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A clarification to my post above...........most of what I have been told about is all forms of residential including many high-rises with retail in downtown or very close. I was told a goal was to increase density specifically in downtown and the city was encouraging developers to build "up" to the extent possible. I was told that as Wake County was now the most populated county out of market developers had been looking for projects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...