Eastside Developments

westsider28

Since development on the Eastside of town is starting to heat up, I thought I'd make a separate thread for it.  It would be for developments near/beyond the east edge of the City, and in the Converse and Clifton areas.

@SpartanCould you move the existing conversation on these topics from the Greater Spartanburg thread?

Update on the Clifton Mill development (aka "Project Chestnut"):  I found a sale/lease agreement on tonight's County Council agenda that has more details about this project, including a site plan (below).  The County will sell the main site to the developers, while they will lease 2 other portions.  The project will have 240 apartments, a relocated park/playground, a segment of The Dan trail, and a boathouse for kayak put-in/take-out on the river.  The developer will partner with the County on a $1.5 million improvement to 900 feet of River Drive near the intersection with Clifton Glendale.  The developer will also build parking and restrooms across the river on Goldmine Road (to serve Clifton Beach?).  Oh yeah, the developer is M-Peters Group, the same ones proposing the 3-tower East Main project.  They're betting big on Spartanburg, clearly.

1703970505_CliftonMillaptssite1.thumb.jpg.5ef83ef30de3ea6782d2b8eb38e3f357.jpg

442549897_CliftonMillparksite.thumb.jpg.816b5da568a1d094874de32cd8b00b06.jpg

417864040_CliftonMilltrailspur.thumb.jpg.eee8aef81ea48a625a77eff4521bd9c6.jpg

• Like 1

Love the fact that this is getting developed. That area is in desperate need of some meaningful development, but... why would you lay out the site that way?! 
You've got the river right there, why not turn the buildings in such a way that the entire side faces the river, and not across a parking lot. God I hate that they've put parking closest to the river. What a waste. 

My opinion. 

6 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Love the fact that this is getting developed. That area is in desperate need of some meaningful development, but... why would you lay out the site that way?! 
You've got the river right there, why not turn the buildings in such a way that the entire side faces the river, and not across a parking lot. God I hate that they've put parking closest to the river. What a waste. 

My opinion. 

There might be a flood plain closer to the river.  Plus this way almost everyone gets an angled view of the river, rather than half with views / half with no views (see article below).

Herald-Journal just put out an article on this development.  They mentioned the above^ about views. It's a $60 million development.  Also, "The redevelopment will also include 7,000 square feet of commercial space with intention to incorporate a riverfront restaurant and a place for kayak rentals."  That's awesome!  We were hoping for that, and I'm sure it will be super popular with those views.

There are also some renderings in the article.  It's a pretty modern style, which I'm not a huge fan of.  But it will be a great development overall, should jumpstart that area, and will likely become a destination.

1227001016_CliftonMillaptsrendering.jpg.298cc51e4b975580aa6c875e539f8fe5.jpg

2136159952_CliftonMillsite-color.jpg.61442607f6336ea866ea8df0500cea0c.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, westsider28 said:

There might be a flood plain closer to the river.  Plus this way almost everyone gets an angled view of the river, rather than half with views / half with no views (see article below).

Herald-Journal just put out an article on this development.  They mentioned the above^ about views. It's a $60 million development.  Also, "The redevelopment will also include 7,000 square feet of commercial space with intention to incorporate a riverfront restaurant and a place for kayak rentals."  That's awesome!  We were hoping for that, and I'm sure it will be super popular with those views.

There are also some renderings in the article.  It's a pretty modern style, which I'm not a huge fan of.  But it will be a great development overall, should jumpstart that area, and will likely become a destination.

Totally hear you on the angled views, but even still... move them closer to the bank (if possible of course), I just hate seeing parking lot getting the best real estate. 100% agree on the blah modern design. But all of that being said, this is awesome. That area needs this desperately, and this, Converse Mill and all of the other development on the East Side should spur a complete revitalization of Clifton and that would be fab! Clifton has such cool topography, I can only imagine how amazing it could be if properly developed. 

• Like 2

Here's a new article about the Clifton Mill development by the Post and Courier.  It says the project will start in early-2022.  They also have a higher resolution rendering, and the tan-colored material on the apartments seems to be brick.  So at least it's a high-quality material.  The article and a post from PAL mentioned that the developer and county will partner to build a pedestrian bridge over the Pacolet River that will connect the trail on the Clifton Mill property to a longer trail connection planned between Glendale and Clifton.  That's a wide crossing, so it will likely be a substantial bridge.  Exciting!

1979858029_CliftonMillaptsrenderinghires.thumb.jpg.305fa1a5375a7d674f98545f28839c1b.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Here's a new article about the Clifton Mill development by the Post and Courier.  It says the project will start in early-2022.  They also have a higher resolution rendering, and the tan-colored material on the apartments seems to be brick.  So at least it's a high-quality material.  The article and a post from PAL mentioned that the developer and county will partner to build a pedestrian bridge over the Pacolet River that will connect the trail on the Clifton Mill property to a longer trail connection planned between Glendale and Clifton.  That's a wide crossing, so it will likely be a substantial bridge.  Exciting!

This and the E. Main project (Both M Peters Group) are honestly the most exiting projects to be proposed in a while. Can't wait to see it come together. Fingers Crossed.  

Edited by Spartanburg Dude
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 8:20 AM, Sparkleman said:

Not sure if its been mentioned or not but Star Lanes (a fixture on the east side since the 1980's will close at the end of the month for....a Circle K convenience store. Not sure that's what the doctor ordered but that's what we are getting.

Well that's in my back yard. And that SUCKS. :(

1 hour ago, Sparkleman said:

I heard it also might become a QT which is slightly better but not much.

A QT or even Circle K would be an improvement at this intersection.  The bowling ally and parking lot has been looking run down for years now (at least its exterior) and both strip centers across Main and Webber are shabby and in need of upgrades.  If not for Mon Ami...

Moreover, this area needs an attractive and well lit c-store.

If I lived out there I'd be pleased.  

Edited by roads-scholar

5 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

A QT or even Circle K would be an improvement at this intersection.  The bowling ally and parking lot has been looking run down for years now (at least its exterior) and both strip centers across Main and Webber are shabby and in need of upgrades.  If not for Mon Ami...

Moreover, this area needs an attractive and well lit c-store.

If I lived out there I'd be pleased.  

I live right there, and though that side of 29 very much is in need of a store/gas station... I would have MUCH rather have seen the bowling alley updated/upgraded/refurbished and the parking lot cleaned up and repaved.
The plaza across Webber is a dump, and needs a major facelift along with the one across main (that one could use a wrecking ball.) My issue with gas stations/c-stores is that it's a riff-raff gathering point at night. Look at the Marathon on 29 and Drayton, or the Speedway on 29 and Plainview. Stop by one of those after dark. Not good. 

Edited by Spartanburg Dude

1 hour ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

I live right there, and though that side of 29 very much is in need of a store/gas station... I would have MUCH rather have seen the bowling alley updated/upgraded/refurbished and the parking lot cleaned up and repaved.
The plaza across Webber is a dump, and needs a major facelift along with the one across main (that one could use a wrecking ball.) My issue with gas stations/c-stores is that it's a riff-raff gathering point at night. Look at the Marathon on 29 and Drayton, or the Speedway on 29 and Plainview. Stop by one of those after dark. Not good. 

Agree that riff-raff does congregate at c-stores but the people at QT "generally" keep that stuff under control.  It's not perfect but better than most. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, Spartanburg Dude said:

This and the E. Main project (Both M Peters Group) are honestly the most exiting projects to be proposed in a while. Can't wait to see it come together. Fingers Crossed.  

Today the M Peters Group provided the Downtown Business Council with an overview of this impressive project.  We learned that along with the apartments River Road will be widened and landscapes, a walking path will be constructed, a riverfront restaurant will be built, and Clifton Beach (across the river) will be improved.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Today the M Peters Group provided the Downtown Business Council with an overview of this impressive project.  We learned that along with the apartments River Road will be widened and landscapes, a walking path will be constructed, a riverfront restaurant will be built, and Clifton Beach (across the river) will be improved.  

So needed! We live in Hillbrook and very much welcome this development, the future development it will stimulate as well! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Saw in the paper this morning that owners of 2721 & 2751 East Main (between Foster's Garden Center and Ingles, across from Dollar General) are requesting a rezoning from B-1 to B-1 PDD to build townhomes "with more flexibility and creativity" than base B-1 allows.  Here's the ~3.7 acre site:

es-ths.jpg.203e9a5987c2cbac79970a136bde4458.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The huge Ellison development (Mark III, 116 townhomes and 445 SFHs, off East Main near Broome HS) is requesting $360,000 from the Steve Belue Infrastructure Fund to go toward rebuilding Meadowbrook Drive through this development ($1.2M total cost).  You can see details in this document: Ellison - Meadowbrook Rd.pdf  This development will have relatively decent connectivity to existing roads (by county standards).

823433218_EastsideM3devmap.thumb.jpg.52fe3a61835aa9e5c2b24c33904a59b4.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 12:21 PM, westsider28 said:

Saw in the paper this morning that owners of 2721 & 2751 East Main (between Foster's Garden Center and Ingles, across from Dollar General) are requesting a rezoning from B-1 to B-1 PDD to build townhomes "with more flexibility and creativity" than base B-1 allows.  Here's the ~3.7 acre site:

es-ths.jpg.203e9a5987c2cbac79970a136bde4458.jpg

According to Monday's agenda, City Council will have first reading to rezone this land from B-1 to B-1 PDD for East Main Townes.  Planning Commission unanimously recommended approval.  Here's the site plan (30 units):

1788934113_EMainTownes.thumb.jpg.9d87c50dbf8f2224c16de361994e62b2.jpg

• Like 1

Cross-posting from the Greater Spartanburg Development thread.

According to the County Planning Dept update, there are plans for a 445-unit townhome development on 85 acres off Floyd Rd behind the new Berkeley subdivision called "Hallbrook Townes".  The site is 237 acres total, so more development (probably SFHs) is likely planned there as well.  We're gonna need a Floyd Rd widening, and we really need another Cannons Campground - Hwy 221 connection (widen Police Club Rd?).  Also need more/better connections between Skylyn / Cannons Campground and East Main over the RR tracks.

hallbrook.jpg.a4cef15b08358cbb6b9157fd2e20681b.jpg

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

Will they annex in to the city?

Seems unlikely that any significant road improvements will come, and I'm not confident in the County or SCDOT's ability to address the long term situation (see western Spartanburg County)

I've given up on understanding the annexation situation.  It's within a mile of city limits, but it's not contiguous.  And townhomes seem to be treated like SFHs (i.e. the City doesn't want them, based on an instance on the west side).

The only hope for road improvements is an extension of the penny sales tax in 2024, and even then the improvements would be pretty far in the future.

• 1 month later...

I found a real estate listing that indicates that an upgrade/renovation is planned for the Webber Square shopping center (home to Mon Amie).  Extensive improvements planned include: façade and site improvements, shared patio and greenspace.  It also shows Burrito Hub prominently in the renderings, which suggests they're already signed on?  Not sure if it would be an additional location or relocation.  Listing 1 , Listing 2

749926517_WebberSqsiteplanalt.thumb.jpg.2bf3d722cbff7cdf5ac80ec0d94e81c6.jpg

253691532_WebberSqrender1.thumb.jpg.728dbc4bc2a2239051ab8929a6c5af1d.jpg

Seems like this would be a nice improvement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, westsider28 said:

I found a real estate listing that indicates that an upgrade/renovation is planned for the Webber Square shopping center (home to Mon Amie).  Extensive improvements planned include: façade and site improvements, shared patio and greenspace.  It also shows Burrito Hub prominently in the renderings, which suggests they're already signed on?  Not sure if it would be an additional location or relocation.  Listing 1 , Listing 2

749926517_WebberSqsiteplanalt.thumb.jpg.2bf3d722cbff7cdf5ac80ec0d94e81c6.jpg

253691532_WebberSqrender1.thumb.jpg.728dbc4bc2a2239051ab8929a6c5af1d.jpg

Seems like this would be a nice improvement.

That center is a mess!  Glad someone will fix it up.  I see the adjacent bowling alley is now closed.  Heard a rumor it will be replaced by a Circle K or Quik Trip.