Jackson Ward / Gilpin

whw53

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I know I'm being a pest about this one - and we're about 45 days in, give or take. Has anyone seen/heard of any movement? As of January 3rd, groundbreaking was slated to happen within 60 days, give or take, and building permits have been filed. But I'm not going to exhale until shovels start turning dirt and this building gets underway. I've been hoping against hope we'd get to the boom crane portion of this project before the Parc View crane comes down - I'm doubtful now that we'll see both cranes over the skyline simultaneously. :tw_confused:

The next Jackson Ward development meeting is happening soon and will have an update... I think within this month.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

The next Jackson Ward development meeting is happening soon and will have an update... I think within this month.

Thanks, @ancientcarpenter. This project is taking SO long to get started - I know they've had a lot of issues with one of the developers bailing -but holy moly,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Nice!! This is new or has it been in the pipeline for a while? Looks "familar" - but perhaps I'm thinking of a different project (maybe it was on Leigh Street?) I honestly can't remember.

I like the design.

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Nice!! This is new or has it been in the pipeline for a while? Looks "familar" - but perhaps I'm thinking of a different project (maybe it was on Leigh Street?) I honestly can't remember.

I like the design.

This is the 200 block of W. Marshall project, right next to Gallery 5.

Yes, this goes before CAR very soon but it is likely to fail unless they start communicating better to HJWA. As much as I like this development, there is a lot of pushback from the association on lack of almost any resemblance to the historic neighborhood besides using some brick here and there. 

6 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Yes, this goes before CAR very soon but it is likely to fail unless they start communicating better to HJWA. As much as I like this development, there is a lot of pushback from the association on lack of almost any resemblance to the historic neighborhood besides using some brick here and there. 

Since it's going to the CAR, safe to say it's within the boundary-drawn O&HD?

So what does HJWA actually want a 3 story apartment building to look like? There isn't much to go by in JW multi family wise unless they mean to adopt design elements from Broad Street.

Or should they tack on a milk bottle to fit in with the Dairy across the street?

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

So what does HJWA actually want a 3 story apartment building to look like? There isn't much to go by in JW multi family wise unless they mean to adopt design elements from Broad Street.

Or should they tack on a milk bottle to fit in with the Dairy across the street?

Or perhaps a question should be asked is this: is it conceivable that HJWA simply DOES NOT WANT a 3 or 4 story apartment building in the boundary-drawn O&HD, regardless of what it looks like? I know it's too easy to always assign "height" as a culprit - but how often do we hear pushback so often based on "it's out of scale"? Not saying this is the issue - but even at four stories, this building is STILL measurably shorter overall than the old Richmond Dairy Building (and not just the Milk Bottle turret). Is it strictly "character"? If so - WHAT design elements does the neighborhood association insist be incorporated - and HOW do they propose a developer actualize those elements without incurring undue additional construction costs? 

@ancientcarpenter- what specifically are you hearing on the ground from the association?

Screenshot (3068).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

At first height was an issue but from what I remember he did set it up in the back and most were happy about it. I believe it's the "up to the sidewalk" that is the issue.

I've been really busy with family and work stuff. Let me find out more details before we all pull out our paper swords :tw_joy:

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

@ancientcarpenter yea' id be curious what you can find out. nice to have someone on the inside there - i couldn't stomach those meetings any longer. a lot of the people there seem confused, selfish and sort of stumble thru the conversations related to development or do not understand the planning process. Additionally they lack an appreciation for allowing new types of people and building preferences into the neighborhood - the organization seems to represent an elite old guard that are largely content with Jackson Ward's degraded state as long as they have their walled gardens to fall back to. I wasn't impressed and was sort of embarrassed to watch developers and people from planning have to explain basic things to that group or take complaints over trivial design matters. Compare that to Scott's Addition\ Boulevard Association, Shockoe Partnership, and Manchester Alliance which are largely pro-growth, pro-business and seem to be stocked with people who are more knowledgeable in general and are more open to the community.

Anyway - if it's 'up to the sidewalk' that's the issue then that's dumb because the first floor is a retrofit per this plan and is already at the sidewalk. This stretch of Marshall has a lot of older industrial buildings that have been rehabbed that this design actually meshes well with. 

Anyway, Un related ... well related in that we r talking JWard - Here are some picks from today of the Cameo House development...

20230219_092004.jpg

20230219_092050.jpg

Great pics - and what you're describing of the HJWA members - ugh... yeah. That's the old-school Richmond mindset that has made me sick to my stomach from as far back as I can remember. Unfortunately, this mentality basically holds by one very simple tenant - "We want NO new development of ANY kind. Period." image.png.075babef767386dcab7fdac751170d54.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 9:48 PM, ancientcarpenter said:

Personally, I don't mind that it's a contrast. I kind of hate when something new tries to imitate older buildings because they typically end up looking like cheaper versions. I just don't see the value in that. I am definitely not in favor of razing older buildings and would like to see more restored, but new / modern and old / historic can coexist nicely.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Good sign. GRTC stop at 2nd and Marshall is closed as of tomorrow for construction until 2025.

http://ridegrtc.com/news-initiatives/news-updates/stop-117-2nd-marshall-closure

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Ooo, wait…that’s the building formally known as the Admiral!  If so, that is a great sign that things are moving along!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I heard this mentioned yesterday in a traffic report.   I thought I heard them say 2nd and Main and I’ve been trying to figure out what this could be.  2nd and Marshall is an amazing development. The two year closure must mean this is a go! 

yippie! 

image.png.51d8245fe57974b9c0eab03ed328cb6c.png!!!

I wonder if there will be a media-covered groundbreaking - or - will construction fencing just simply go up, equipment be rolled in and dirt be turned as a matter of course?

Guys: two quickies:

1.) Can we keep some eyes/ears open and feet on the ground to bogart when construction fencing goes up and equipment starts getting moved in for the Project Formerly Known as The Admiral? GRTC closing the bus stop is a super good sign. Hoping we'll see some activity on-site soon.

2.) Any word yet on the five-story development that's slated for 2nd and Leigh? Recall the building that the HJWA were getting their knickers in a twist about regarding design, parking, etc. @ancientcarpenter- have you heard anything regarding this development from the association? @whw53& @rjp212-- have you guys seen any paperwork for permits filed by chance?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I cut down 2nd street from the expressway all the way to Jackson everyday headed to work (in the biotech park) and will snap a pic if I see any movement :) There are often detours at 2nd crossing broad because of the renovations happening at those 2 beuatiful buildings on either side Broad. This work seems slow but fairly constant and you can start to see progress. These sat derilict for way too long. 2nd street will be quite impressive when all this work gets finished....

Thank you - welcome to UP btw :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rooster said:

I cut down 2nd street from the expressway all the way to Jackson everyday headed to work (in the biotech park) and will snap a pic if I see any movement :) There are often detours at 2nd crossing broad because of the renovations happening at those 2 beuatiful buildings on either side Broad. This work seems slow but fairly constant and you can start to see progress. These sat derilict for way too long. 2nd street will be quite impressive when all this work gets finished....

Humble thanks, @Rooster!!  There may be a Silver Port-a Potty in your near future as well, kind sir. 

100% agreed on 2nd Street. The future looks really amazing for this once and future grand dame of Richmond streets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/03/07/jackson-ward-project-site-put-up-for-sale-approved-plans-included/

Challenging environment right now with construction costs and access to capital. 

I was shocked (a little bit) to read this because I thought there were recent indications that construction was about to start!  The good thing is that SNP is not totally out…they will partner with another developer…if another steps up.