whw53

The Andrew Mellon Foundation has generously donated $11 M to the city to develop an interpretive center as part of the Shockoe Bottom Heritage Campus dedicated to the Bottom's role and history as a slave-trade hub. The center will be located at the northern-most end of Main Street Station's train shed on the ground floor.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/21/city-awarded-11m-grant-for-shockoe-interpretive-center-at-main-street-station/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Child2021 said:

20230107_123136.jpg

20230107_123132.jpg

20230107_123214.jpg

Thanks, @Child2021for taking and posting these. You must've been reading my mind - I was wondering how much progress there'd been on the Bakery Lofts. 

So they're using a crawler crane and not a tower or a mini - a bummer, but then again, these are the same developers who built the Icon on Scott's Addition - and they used a crawler crane there as well, if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Thanks, @Child2021for taking and posting these. You must've been reading my mind - I was wondering how much progress there'd been on the Bakery Lofts. 

So they're using a crawler crane and not a tower or a mini - a bummer, but then again, these are the same developers who built the Icon on Scott's Addition - and they used a crawler crane there as well, if I remember correctly.

Hoping it’s there waiting for the tower crane pieces to show up. Can’t tell if there’s a pad there to receive the tower base, doesn’t look like it, but can’t really tell. How many floors is this one?

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hike said:

Hoping it’s there waiting for the tower crane pieces to show up. Can’t tell if there’s a pad there to receive the tower base, doesn’t look like it, but can’t really tell. How many floors is this one?

It’ll probably be all precast, which is why there is no tower crane. Oh well, at least we’ll get 12 stories out of it!

• Like 3

On 1/7/2023 at 7:35 PM, I miss RVA said:

That's how it was with the Icon - and Historic Properties -- the developers for Bakery Lofts -- also built the Icon.

I was looking at this thing this weekend thinking it was too short but I guess it is the same equipment:
image.thumb.png.4ff834a71e0b29be036856e1cbd9f6dc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

I was looking at this thing this weekend thinking it was too short but I guess it is the same equipment:
image.thumb.png.4ff834a71e0b29be036856e1cbd9f6dc.png

I think the shortness of the equipment for the Bakery Lofts may be an optical illusion based on angle of photo, location of the photo relative to the position of the crane, etc. At distance, I'd be willing to bet the Bakery Lofts crawler and the Icon's crawler are the same size/height, since the buildings are slated to be the same size/height.

Edited by I miss RVA

21 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I think the shortness of the equipment for the Bakery Lofts may be an optical illusion based on angle of photo, location of the photo relative to the position of the crane, etc. At distance, I'd be willing to bet the Bakery Lofts crawler and the Icon's crawler are the same size/height, since the buildings are slated to be the same size/height.

This is the angle I had before seeing it posted here already.  It looks like a shorter boom to me.  Looking back at The Lofts, it looks like they used a smaller darker-color crawler for the garage and then switched to the taller yellow one after the foundation was poured for the tower.
20230107_122948.thumb.jpg.2bab514e25102cff6a7d726f9d42dc99.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is the angle I had before seeing it posted here already.  It looks like a shorter boom to me.  Looking back at The Lofts, it looks like they used a smaller darker-color crawler for the garage and then switched to the taller yellow one after the foundation was poured for the tower.
20230107_122948.thumb.jpg.2bab514e25102cff6a7d726f9d42dc99.jpg

Good call on that one, Ice! And great photo! Thanks for taking it and posting! 

That would make sense then (switching crane sizes). Historic Properties is probably following the exact same game plan for the buildout of the Bakery Lofts as they did for the Icon. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

The wall from the old picture is now a  elevator / stair shaft towering a couple of feet in the air.

Thanks for the update, @Child2021:tw_thumbsup: You are truly awesome, my friend! 

Holy wow!!! These folks aren't playing around. 

Man - I'm praying that the Project Formerly Known as the Admiral will get underway SOON!! We NEED this one to get started like yesterday for a LOT of reasons. I could say a LOT more about what my concerns are but, for now, I'll refrain.

Edited by I miss RVA

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

A 36-Unit, 5 Story building is being planned between Cedar and 20th on Broad.

image.jpeg.0410931408ea8bc80436d2317a45cc35.jpeg

Great looking infill for that block. And to you point about that long-standing townhouse project at 21st and Broad, @whw53- fully agreed. I'd love for a developer to swoop in and get that one going. Lots of potential for that stretch of E. Broad.

• Like 1

Somehow that convenience store has now become a 7-11 so that may not happen for some time.  I have never seen one in that format.

The Exxon at Broad and AA recently became a 7-11 as well. Not only have I never seen a 7-11 in that "format" but there is already a normal 7-11 caddy corner across the street.

• Like 1