Monroe Ward / Oregon Hill

whw53

• 2 weeks later...

@RVABizSenseMikehas reporting in today's RBS about Douglas Development's sale of the little two-story building at 402 E. Grace, next door to the Grace Place apartment building currently being renovated on the northeast corner of 4th and Grace. Buyer Mark Bare is planning to renovate the building as a mixed-use development with three apartments on the second floor and commercial space on the first floor.

Mike's article included a brief update on Douglas' Harper Flats project, a sweet-looking reno at the southeast corner of 2nd & Broad.

Lots of small but good stuff happening.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/12/with-larger-projects-underway-douglas-development-sells-small-grace-st-building/

402 E. GRACE

402-e-grace1-Cropped-2048x1152.jpg

Screenshot (3267).png

HARPER FLATS

harpers-flats-douglas-2048x1536.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

City Council is considering a proposal to allow the city attorney to ask a Richmond judge to allow VCU Police to expand its authority into Oregon Hill and Randolph. According to WRIC-TV 8 News, RPD would still carry primary law enforcement authority for serious matters, but VCU Police would handle lesser issues such as loud music or house parties. The VCU Police coverage area would extend south from the Downtown Expressway to the cemeteries and go as far west as S. Allen Ave and as far east as S. Second Street in south Monroe Ward.

From WRIC-TV 8 News:

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/richmond-looks-to-expand-vcu-polices-jurisdiction/

4-1.webp

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

VPM has closed on the deal to purchase the Arts District site of their new downtown public broadcasting headquarters and studios. According to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS - the public media nonprofit payed $4.2 million for the site at 13-17 E. Broad Street. The five-story, 53,700 sq foot building is slated to break ground this spring. VERY exciting to see this project moving forward - and even more exciting that there will be live broadcast media returning to downtown after an absence of at least six decades.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/01/10/vpm-spends-4m-to-buy-site-of-future-downtown-headquarters/

vpm building rendering broad street

Just thinking ahead - since groundbreaking is scheduled for the next few months. Given the location and how tight the construction site might end up being, what's the over/under that we see a boom crane on this project? It would be so cool for another boom crane to pop up over downtown, what with the two big ones at the CoStar site.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

VPM has closed on the deal to purchase the Arts District site of their new downtown public broadcasting headquarters and studios. According to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS - the public media nonprofit payed $4.2 million for the site at 13-17 E. Broad Street. The five-story, 53,700 sq foot building is slated to break ground this spring. VERY exciting to see this project moving forward - and even more exciting that there will be live broadcast media returning to downtown after an absence of at least six decades.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/01/10/vpm-spends-4m-to-buy-site-of-future-downtown-headquarters/

vpm building rendering broad street

I think this is going to look great on that block - I love the angled roof

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rooster said:

I think this is going to look great on that block - I love the angled roof

It's a sweet design, no question. Very sharp looking. Very "big city" (I know - I throw that term around about certain buildings - but it just has that look and feel to it). More importantly is what having the entire VPM operation (HQ, office, broadcast, print, web, etc.) -- plus studios for WCVE/WCVW and Virginia public radio etc. downtown -- and on Broad Street at that -- will mean for the Arts District in particular and downtown in general. This is a big step up for downtown - and I think it has a TON of potential. I can't wait for this project to get rolling and to see what the ripple effect will be for downtown. I might've said this before - but I honestly do believe this is a much bigger deal than it may appear to be on the surface and could very well be one of the most consequential and important developments downtown in years (if not decades). The dividends it will pay down the road are potentially enormous.

COROLLARY: The synergy that's building in the Arts District is tremendous - and this whole district seems poised to take off over the next few years. What with the YMCA redevelopment (including new construction at Foushee & Grace), the Bank Street Advisors' eight-story apartment building at Madison and Broad, VCU's absolutely EPIC CoStar Center for Arts and Innovation slated to rise at Belvidere and Broad, and the VPM media center on Broad between Foushee and N. 1st Street - with just these four developments alone, if they all are built at (roughly) the same time, the Arts District will take several steps forward. I can't help but hope these projects will serve to catalyze adjacent areas - and if interest rates and construction costs indeed DO come back down during 2024, perhaps the project formerly know as The Admiral at 2nd and E. Marshall could get taken out of moth balls and somehow - miraculously - get built. Perhaps, too, Tom Papa will move forward on at least one of the double-digit-floor residential buildings he's been planning for the Grace Street corridor as well.

Just seems like the Arts District is about to get RED HOT in terms of development in the very near term.

QUESTION: Does anyone know the status of the Bank Street apartment building at Madison and Broad? We haven't heard anything on that one in quite a while.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

I think this is absolutely great. Why is a major region news outlet all the way out in Chesterfield instead of in the capital?

This will incentivize workers to live in higher density housing in the Arts District, or even in neighborhoods like Church Hill, Manchester, Scott's Addition, The Fan, Northside, etc. It will also mean their lunch outings will create demand for new restaurants in the Arts District. Plus the various people who would want to visit the VPM HQ (such as for interviews, collaborations, live events) will add to demand for hotels  entertainment in the Arts District.

Now if only other significant companies would move downtown... I would love to see Capital One make a significant investment in the city like CarMax did.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

I think this is absolutely great. Why is a major region news outlet all the way out in Chesterfield instead of in the capital?

This will incentivize workers to live in higher density housing in the Arts District, or even in neighborhoods like Church Hill, Manchester, Scott's Addition, The Fan, Northside, etc. It will also mean their lunch outings will create demand for new restaurants in the Arts District. Plus the various people who would want to visit the VPM HQ (such as for interviews, collaborations, live events) will add to demand for hotels  entertainment in the Arts District.

Now if only other significant companies would move downtown... I would love to see Capital One make a significant investment in the city like CarMax did.

It's a good question. Without knowing the actual history - and so far, my limited research isn't turning up much in terms of details - my guess would be either the land was donated or obtained cheaply with some kind of grant money. In short, the property was available. I'm not sure if WCVE and WCVW always had their studios in Bon Air - I recall going on school field trips in the very early '70s to see the Channel 23 studios - and all of us (who were like 8, 9, 10 years old) thought it was SOOOO cool that it was located at "23 Sesame Street".  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some office location shuffling that (hopefully) portends bigger and better things to come: Jonathan Spiers has reporting in Tuesday's RBS that the city's Department of Social Services is moving from the Marshall Plaza building at 900 E. Marshall to the Richmond Times-Dispatch building at 300 E. Franklin. This frees up the triangular, horrifically low-slung (as in UBER short/flat) Marshall Plaza building to go hasta la bye bye with the site slated to be redeveloped into something hopefully bigger and better as part of the larger overall City Center redevelopment district. This part of City Center would include a new John Marshall Courts building across 9th Street from the Marshall Plaza site.

it would definitely be great to see something of some decent size, density and massing replace this squat building. We gotta go vertical, folks!

From Tuesday's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/23/citys-social-services-move-to-fill-up-largely-empty-times-dispatch-building/

times-dispatch-700x523.jpg

DSSbldg1.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Some office location shuffling that (hopefully) portends bigger and better things to come: Jonathan Spiers has reporting in Tuesday's RBS that the city's Department of Social Services is moving from the Marshall Plaza building at 900 E. Marshall to the Richmond Times-Dispatch building at 300 E. Franklin. This frees up the triangular, horrifically low-slung (as in UBER short/flat) Marshall Plaza building to go hasta la bye bye with the site slated to be redeveloped into something hopefully bigger and better as part of the larger overall City Center redevelopment district. This part of City Center would include a new John Marshall Courts building across 9th Street from the Marshall Plaza site.

it would definitely be great to see something of some decent size, density and massing replace this squat building. We gotta go vertical, folks!

From Tuesday's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/23/citys-social-services-move-to-fill-up-largely-empty-times-dispatch-building/

times-dispatch-700x523.jpg

DSSbldg1.jpg

ADDITIONAL REPORTING:

Here is additional reporting from Tuesday's RT-D. One interesting nugget: the planned new courthouse building will cost roughly $300 million and is planned to be built by 2029. Depending on the footprint of where-ever this new municipal building actually is - as is depicted in the conceptual renderings in the City Center SAP - this new structure could have some decent size (height and massing) to it. 

From Tuesday's Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/local/government-politics/richmond-social-services-shamin-times-dispatch-building/article_33ea9652-0111-11ef-87e4-cb4223a468db.html

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2