Chamberlayne / VUU / Northside

RiverYuppy

1 hour ago, WyldKat99 said:

I'm not quite sure the source of this information...but as HBCU grad of VSU, I TOTALLY disagree with the notion that "There's just not as much of a reason for HBCUs to exist anymore as they once were" is completely nuts. In fact, HBCUs have grown exponentially over the past several years...in my opinion, due to the climate of today's society. Seems comfort plus education is more important than ever. And just to set the record straight, theres plenty of schools with egos that give the school bad names (the list is long).  #VSUTrojans #VUUPanthers🔶🔷🔴⚫

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/applications-to-hbcus-rise-dramatically-as-nationwide-college-enrollment-falls

Yes, they've increased a large percentage the past couple of years, but that's easier to do after total enrollment numbers across all HBCUs were at a 20 year low in 2017.  If you've historically had around 5000 students and slowly dwindle down to 1000, then have a 30% increase in enrollment over 2 years, you're still only at 1300, the long term trend is still there.  The recent increases may also be a pandemic blip.  

"There's just not as much of a reason for HBCUs to exist anymore as they once were" at one time 90% black college students attended HBCU's, now it's around 11%. I think that speaks for itself.

Also I didn't say the school had an ego, I said I've heard some administrators had egos of the type they prioritize those egos over the school itself.

Edited by 123fakestreet

• 2 weeks later...

We've had plenty of discussion previously about this multi-family project on Brookland Park Boulevard. Nice to see it's underway and going forward, full steam ahead. 

Good project update by Jonathan Spiers in today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/05/05/development-underway-on-21m-apartment-project-on-brookland-park-blvd/

BrooklandParkApts1.jpg

Enterprise76apts2a.jpg

Screenshot (176).png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rooster said:

I love how they incorporated that piece of the old church! makes the space more interesting and unique

I'm just glad this project is moving forward and isn't getting short-circuited or truncated by current economic uncertainty. This apartment building will go along way to jumpstarting economic growth along Brookland Park Boulevard and this part of the Northside. There are other large-scale apartment projects either under way or in the hopper in the Northside - a lot of potential growth about to happen in this part of town. Very happy to see this.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

There's several projects around town that appear to be cancelled or on permanent hold.  We hear the big announcements of plans, then we just never hear anything else, there's never an announcement they got cancelled.   One of these is 711 Danw St, the former school bus maintenance lot. The lot got cleared about a year ago and it has sat idle since then, I assume this project is no longer happening?

2 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

There's several projects around town that appear to be cancelled or on permanent hold.  We hear the big announcements of plans, then we just never hear anything else, there's never an announcement they got cancelled.   One of these is 711 Danw St, the former school bus maintenance lot. The lot got cleared about a year ago and it has sat idle since then, I assume this project is no longer happening?

Quite a few projects are on hold pending interest rates leveling off/coming back down. Quite a few of the bigger projects (deeper pocketed developers) are moving forward. I don't think we've seen too many cancelations. Typically if a project that's been publicly announced and is in the pipeline gets torpedoed or -- at best -- truncated, RBS will report on it. I think what we're seeing is just a longer delay in projects getting started than was the case in, say, 2021 or 2022.

At this point, I wouldn't worry. Mind you, that's not saying RBS necessarily will catch EVERY project that falls by the wayside - but at this point, I don't think there have been many flat-out cancellations. Even the Project Formerly Known as the Admiral has only been "stopped" pending either full sale of the property (which is shovel-ready, btw, with all permits in place) - OR - a co-developer buying in and coming onboard to team with the current developer and get the project launched. But to date, it hasn't been fully "canceled".

There's a lot of project "stasis" happening this year - but there have been a TON of surprises in the last month or two of developments that are moving forward. AND - the big home-run hitter - the Avery Hall towers planned for the Manchester riverfront - is moving forward - their SUP request goes before the Planning Commission on June 5th. And that project was basically sitting idle for MONTHS.

Here's another one: how long did the Soda Flats sit idle before finally taking off late last year? 

All of that said - best advice is patience - something that's admittedly difficult for ALL of us here in our RVA/UP community. (It certainly is for me!)

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don’t like to say these words as they are becoming more and more likely. Debt default? How much gets canned with a default? Not just Richmond but even the most booming cities metros across the country. I don’t even see the Raleigh’s Nashville’s or charlottes surviving it.

10 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

How do you know 711 Dawn St got cancelled? They applied for a demolition permit just 2 months ago. 

Including the apartments near Six Points in Highland Park, this development in Brookland Park consisting of commercial space and apartments is underway. It replacing the old self-service car-wash will be a huge facelift for the area.

Additionally I heard through the grape vine that same developer found a restaurant for the old convenience store on Brookland Park and North Ave. So two of the largest development on Brookland Park seem to be underway. 

Just last Tuesday I went to the opening day of Slay Burgers on Brookland Park. They started on that place in 2020. It took 3 years, but I can finally get a great burger in my neighborhood. 

Additionally the neighborhood's housing is really chugging along. Take a look at the corner of Carolina & Highland St. An abandoned house was razed and two beautiful homes were put up on the lot. Here is one house that replaced it and a second one is close to being finished.

Or take a look at these three houses that are being renovated. One of them just hit the market.

As someone who has lived in an "up-and-coming" neighborhood for almost a decade--I totally understand the wanting things to happen sooner. But the changes to Northside are much deeper than simply new apartment buildings and those changes are chugging along. Within three blocks of my house there are four houses for sale, a new one under construction, 5 being renovated from abandoned or distressed status. My street has gone from having ~20 abandoned/distressed houses to ~5 since I moved here. The groundwork for new developments has been laid and a slight lull isn't going to un-renovate those 20 houses on my street to remove that groundwork. 

To paraphrase Mark Twain, the rumors of Brookland Park's demise have been greatly exaggerated!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

A few updates.

Here is the maps view of Roane and Dawn Street circa 2019. The building has had a nice update. Also the lot across from it is pending zoning change to B-7 with Dodson Properties listed as the payee.

IMG_0466.thumb.jpeg.07b18d0c7c40f1dfc01f249976b7012a.jpeg

IMG_0467.thumb.jpeg.ceb96fc710e111132fd45738aaf81ad1.jpeg

The old church on Brookland Park is underway to having apartments put up.

IMG_0455.thumb.jpeg.a7dbedd24bd14ae99f7f95a43a01eaef.jpeg

IMG_0457.thumb.jpeg.43dc29e8f8a6f6dffbfd651647cda56d.jpeg

There is also a development under way where the old National Guard building was demolished in ~2016 here.

IMG_0460.thumb.jpeg.69f34d6d10ee209eea842f7e1fb57cc9.jpeg

Two mixed use buildings on Brookland Park have also had their foundation set.

IMG_0464.thumb.jpeg.707093dad6fe0b36eede4c121a8a6172.jpeg

Also The Sphere next to the Spectrum in the VUU / Post Office area looks completely done.

IMG_0468.thumb.jpeg.2739cbbaeff5460d8b4057ceda73235c.jpeg

The homes on Lombardy that lead to Northside are also pretty close to finishing up.

IMG_0470.thumb.jpeg.8f687657129c0274cf7de960244a9f1f.jpeg

Some additional notes for Northside. I'm expecting soon for the building at the corner of North Ave and BPB to be renovated into a restaurant soon. I'm unsure what might go on the second floor.

The buildings across from it currently house a jersey printing company. However the owner listed both buildings for sale on loop net. I recently saw the listings on loop net come down and a moving truck out front of the building. So I'm assuming a buyer was found and he is moving shop.

Also Tabol Brewing's building is up for sale. I'm hoping that something good goes in its place. They had a unique concept, but it just was a miss. Something good going there to help draw more people to the area would also help with sparking more growth in Northside.

Those townhouses/rowhouses on Lombardy are AMAZING!! OMG! SO reminiscent of what's in Baltimore. How I wish we had more of these in the near Northside. Wow!

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

Also Tabol Brewing's building is up for sale. I'm hoping that something good goes in its place. They had a unique concept, but it just was a miss. Something good going there to help draw more people to the area would also help with sparking more growth in Northside.

Tabol said they may remain the tenant. They don't seem to show any sign of closing, they are still promoting and having regular events.   BPB *really* needs a brewery, my hope is the building is sold and turned into something even better, and Tabol relocates down the street to BPB.

• Like 1

The townhomes are nice, though I hope they have good insulation. They are directly next to the highway and there is no sound barrier between them and the highway.

On 6/9/2023 at 7:20 PM, 123fakestreet said:

Tabol said they may remain the tenant. They don't seem to show any sign of closing, they are still promoting and having regular events.   BPB *really* needs a brewery, my hope is the building is sold and turned into something even better, and Tabol relocates down the street to BPB.

It would have been great if the original brewery plan for BPB came to fruition. I like the mixed-use project that has replaced it though.

Selling the building only to turn around and pay enough rent for the buyer to turn a profit doesn't make too much sense to me. The advertisement for the spot doesn't make it sound like they're a lock as a tenant.

Perhaps they could move into the movie theater? I have to imagine they have to have something lined up if they're going to move though. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Permits have been filed.   2 Commercial spaces and 1 residential unit on the 1st floor.  9 residential units on floors 2 and 3.

image.png.86bb4a5122d3568a6291324cfd21364f.png

Glad to see this happening! We walked through it a year or two ago when thinking (dreaming) about a potential event space - its really cool inside but a real mess. Theyve got alot of work to do, I hope some of the features of the theater (like the concave wall where the stage is) are preserved in the commercial spaces...

• Like 1

Jonathan Spiers has a great update in today's RBS about the progress of construction underway in the huge expansion of Westminster Canterbury. This development is really coming together nicely.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/07/12/project-snapshot-new-buildings-rise-at-westminster-canterbury/

Westminster1-700x394.jpg

Westminster2-VibrancyBldg-700x393.jpg

Westminster9-Clubhouse2-700x394.jpg

Westminster5-Village-700x394.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

Some serious work being done today at the church conversion project right by 6 Points, the whole road was closed off for several blocks.

The apts on BPB also finally had some work done after sitting there for months. The pad was poured the other day. Of course now it's just sitting there again. But there was *some* progress.

Coolness!!

Any chance for some... image.jpeg.a0b5b2a1287b70f76af3c8392a48c48f.jpeg ??

On 8/14/2023 at 2:14 PM, 123fakestreet said:

Some serious work being done today at the church conversion project right by 6 Points, the whole road was closed off for several blocks.

The apts on BPB also finally had some work done after sitting there for months. The pad was poured the other day. Of course now it's just sitting there again. But there was *some* progress.

Concrete needs to cure.  Sometimes additives can be used to speed up cure time.  

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Concrete has cured! Walls were going up as I was driving out of town last Saturday. I'm NC for the week and will try to snap a couple pictures when I get back.

According to Richmond BizSense the townhome development in South Highland Park has broken ground.

The Six Points corridor really hasn't had any great retail come to it yet. Developments like these that bring in many new households with expendable income increasing the demand for retail. I would love to see a quality restaurant (or some sort of retail) move in like we have seen on the Brookland Park corridor.

I'm really excited for the future of the intersection of North Ave and Brookland Park. We had not seen much go on there since the apparel maker moved in. However, it looks like they're moving out and we're going to get a few new tenants. There is a woodworker that does bespoke furniture who is moving his studio and showroom where an old food mart used to be. There is a tattoo studio that is moving from Jackson Ward to where the apparel designer used to be. And there is a bike shop moving next to Manchu on the other side of the road. If they all come on line this year (and they seem to be) that means two abandoned in that intersection will have been renovated and occupied.  Additionally the tattoo studio will transform their building from a warehouse to a retail center which will bring additional foot traffic to that intersection.

Unfortunately I still haven't heard any word of what is to happen to the large building on the corner of North Ave and Brookland Park though. Hopefully the developer does not leave it vacant for long.

I'm looking forward to when I get home this weekend to see how things have progressed!

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

An update on Brookland Park

The church -> apartments project is coming along!

Here are two I grabbed with my drone.

DJI_0001.thumb.JPG.999092c3e3d80696adf7739bc01a577e.JPGDJI_0002.thumb.JPG.bd070b4bbbe60e52b5b55eede9971268.JPG

Here is a picture from behind. Here is the same location on google maps before the construction started to give you a feel for how much this is changing it.

1751262625_Screenshot2023-09-09at5_07_44PM.thumb.png.7f9ae347c358ef35281e13cba6748e3c.png

apartments_behind.thumb.jpg.3872f04e51053f403999edde090af17b.jpg

The mixed use project replacing the old car wash on Brookland Park is having the concrete slabs set.

concrete_slabs.thumb.jpg.d72fa3ac7165e6cdf8a0790131266342.jpg

An old abandoned food mart seen here is getting turned into a studio for a boutique furniture maker who will host events and non-profit stuff.

771101274_Screenshot2023-09-09at4_53_38PM.thumb.png.9a22ccaf2b48bf986dfb888b82fc7f77.png

matchbox.thumb.jpg.d6cafc30b19d0b44577abeb22cbd35c9.jpg

The unit next to it used to be a jersey manufacturer but it is apparently going to be remodeled into a tattoo studio. The photos of the artists on their site are pretty cool.

Across the street next to Manchu an abandoned building is being redeveloped into a bike shop. You can see it here.

The old 

127965140_Screenshot2023-09-09at4_59_00PM.thumb.png.c6e90ed8fb7098c751e1e254e89accaf.png

The new is already looking a lot better. But I imagine it's going to be even so much better when they take the boards off the windows!

bikeshop.thumb.jpg.a407f2d15fac443d917f0aa064c41070.jpg

I also saw a permit pulled today for a complete reno of one more abandoned building on Brookland Park.

I'm really excited for 2024 in Brookland Park. I think Fuzzy Cactus coming to the corridor is what really sparked things and I think 2024 is when we're going to see it really hit a critical mass. There will be more nice new freshly renovated places than there are abandoned places!

Now hopefully soon we can start seeing some things come to Highland Park as well!

Great photos, @RiverYuppy!! Top-notch work - and all 100% worthy of some silver hardware! (Congratulations! Just make some room in your home to tote home your official silver port-a-potty trophy!) Great stuff!

Fully agreed - the synergy of what's happening over in Brookland Park is just astounding. Wonderful to see. This corridor is really coming together and the entire neighborhood will benefit. As you said, 2024 will be a real watershed year for that part of Northside. Loving every single minute of this!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...