Chamberlayne / VUU / Northside

RiverYuppy

7 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Okay but it's not that simple.

On one hand people want hand outs. One the other hand people need to go make more money.

That's black and white, 1 and 0, left or right. Whatever you want to call it.

There is a gray area to this: People shouldn't just have handouts (who is even realistically saying this?) but they also should be able to live on a wage. The problem these days is people have to get roommates past their 30s after working a decade. What type of society do we want where people have to rent in their 30s with roommates and they're  not making enough money after a decade of work? Yeah, I already imagine a response of dog whistle 'THEY ARE LAZY!" so to get ahead of that I ask "Is EVERYONE lazy?!" People that can't buy a home are being too lazy?  Did our real estate market go up because people suddenly stopped being lazy?

OR maybe jobs aren't paying enough to keep up with living expenses. MAYBE mega investment firms are buying up property to rent and constructing 300 rental unit buildings and then they are price colluding / price fixing to jack up rents because they are starting to monopolize one of the most unhumane industries to price gouge: living space. MAYBE we are losing our neighbors homes because they can't pay the taxes anymore since taxes are $10k a year but they bought their home for $10k in 1972 (literally, my neighbor) then an investor comes in and buys it for cheap and now the neighborhood is full of renters paying cash to some guy in an office in Albuquerque who doesn't even know he owns property in RVA nor does he care because all he cares about is that his excel sheet shows that he made an extra 1.23% profit this year more than expected.

OR maybe people just asking for handouts and are lazy, yeah okay.  C'mon, what logic is this.

edit: behind the beotchs did a fun podcast on the rental market price fixing - they talk about how it's better to leave some units empty than to drop prices, as long as they raise prices on other units

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-beotchs-29236323/episode/part-one-why-is-the-rent-104321463/

edit: i own rental property in RVA. I am part of a problem but we need a major systematic fix here by our governments. I'd be happy to sell my properties but it will just get scooped up. Already sold 1 this year and made sure it was to a family to help the neighborhood, and not the 3 investors trying to get into the market area.

you know I can see where it maybe hard for a lot of people In their 30s to get a roomate but the way I see it you do what you have to do to survive. I keep seeing the government wants control of the rental market. I’m going to say this the day that happens you will have zero control of your property the government will tell you what to do with it. I don’t want that at all. Do I think wages and the cost of things are really messed up m? Yes I do. I’ll tell you why things are so Damn expensive, think about every industry In the entire country. Think of how many taxes are put on them right now. I wouldn’t want to own or run a company at all In this current day. You would be surprised how many taxes and rules and regulations are put on a business. If you take a good amount of those off then guess what they can pay everyone more and they can charge consumers less because there’s not as many taxes rules and regulations put on a business. People say oh but it’s not that easy but guess what yes it is. If you just get to get people to think about it more then we could really feel a lot better about ourselves. You know why boomers got so far ahead In life? It’s because when they owned a business they didn’t have all of these absurd taxes rules and regulations put on them. So then they could pay their employees more and not have to charge the consumer so much for goods they sell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

you know I can see where it maybe hard for a lot of people In their 30s to get a roomate but the way I see it you do what you have to do to survive. I keep seeing the government wants control of the rental market. I’m going to say this the day that happens you will have zero control of your property the government will tell you what to do with it. I don’t want that at all. Do I think wages and the cost of things are really messed up m? Yes I do. I’ll tell you why things are so Damn expensive, think about every industry In the entire country. Think of how many taxes are put on them right now. I wouldn’t want to own or run a company at all In this current day. You would be surprised how many taxes and rules and regulations are put on a business. If you take a good amount of those off then guess what they can pay everyone more and they can charge consumers less because there’s not as many taxes rules and regulations put on a business. People say oh but it’s not that easy but guess what yes it is. If you just get to get people to think about it more then we could really feel a lot better about ourselves. You know why boomers got so far ahead In life? It’s because when they owned a business they didn’t have all of these absurd taxes rules and regulations put on them. So then they could pay their employees more and not have to charge the consumer so much for goods they sell. 

I don't see RVA imposing anything even remotely close to what NYC did 40 and 50 years ago with rent control. Given that NY had to be bailed out because it was going broke, we all know how well THAT worked out back then. 

The good news is inflation IS inching down. As fast as we want it? Of course not. But it IS coming down -and while interest rates are still higher than we'd like them, they're nowhere near where they COULD be, God-forbid! I was listening to some economists earlier today who were discussing how while there's still fear we could slip into a recession, there ARE signs that we actually might avoid a recession, and rather settle into a soft landing  with inflation continuing to come down - employment remaining strong - good GDP - and other economic vital signs remaining reasonably strong. 

The ballgame's not over at all on this yet. 

As for the Boomers - and George Carlin spoke to this back in the 80s and 90s - you know why they got where they did? ONE OF THE REASONS (and there were MANY that are WAY beyond the scope and intent of this forum) is because they were given EVERYTHING on an effing silver platter by their post-war-generation parents and grew up to be spoiled brats who have gone through life with an inflated sense of entitlement that their parents - who shouldered the burdens of both the Great Depression AND World War II (and did so without complaint) - NEVER -- EVER -- HAD.  And at age 60, I'm on the tail end of the Baby Boomer generation - and rather than be offended, I actually agree with Carlin 100%. He was right.

10 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Okay but it's not that simple.

On one hand people want hand outs. One the other hand people need to go make more money.

That's black and white, 1 and 0, left or right. Whatever you want to call it.

There is a gray area to this: People shouldn't just have handouts (who is even realistically saying this?) but they also should be able to live on a wage. The problem these days is people have to get roommates past their 30s after working a decade. What type of society do we want where people have to rent in their 30s with roommates and they're  not making enough money after a decade of work? Yeah, I already imagine a response of dog whistle 'THEY ARE LAZY!" so to get ahead of that I ask "Is EVERYONE lazy?!" People that can't buy a home are being too lazy?  Did our real estate market go up because people suddenly stopped being lazy?

OR maybe jobs aren't paying enough to keep up with living expenses. MAYBE mega investment firms are buying up property to rent and constructing 300 rental unit buildings and then they are price colluding / price fixing to jack up rents because they are starting to monopolize one of the most unhumane industries to price gouge: living space. MAYBE we are losing our neighbors homes because they can't pay the taxes anymore since taxes are $10k a year but they bought their home for $10k in 1972 (literally, my neighbor) then an investor comes in and buys it for cheap and now the neighborhood is full of renters paying cash to some guy in an office in Albuquerque who doesn't even know he owns property in RVA nor does he care because all he cares about is that his excel sheet shows that he made an extra 1.23% profit this year more than expected.

OR maybe people just asking for handouts and are lazy, yeah okay.  C'mon, what logic is this.

edit: behind the beotchs did a fun podcast on the rental market price fixing - they talk about how it's better to leave some units empty than to drop prices, as long as they raise prices on other units

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-beotchs-29236323/episode/part-one-why-is-the-rent-104321463/

edit: i own rental property in RVA. I am part of a problem but we need a major systematic fix here by our governments. I'd be happy to sell my properties but it will just get scooped up. Already sold 1 this year and made sure it was to a family to help the neighborhood, and not the 3 investors trying to get into the market area.

I did read this whole thing and agree with some points  but you lost me at “we need a major systemic fix here by our governments” in regards to the housing/rental makets. 
The government overreach is already borderline illegal in most arenas.  “Fix” and “more govt” in the same sentence is a recipe for disaster lol.   Astounds me how so many are so willing to hand over more individual liberties in exchange for corrupt, inefficient, career driven politicians to save us.   What’s the most precarious phrase in the English language?  “I’m from the government and I’m here to help”.  

Edited by Virginian11
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Virginian11 said:

I did read this whole thing and agree with some points  but you lost me at “we need a major systemic fix here by our governments” in regards to the housing/rental makets. 
The government overreach is already borderline illegal in most arenas.  “Fix” and “more govt” in the same sentence is a recipe for disaster lol.   Astounds me how so many are so willing to hand over more individual liberties in exchange for corrupt, inefficient, career driven politicians to save us.   What’s the most precarious phrase in the English language?  “I’m from the government and I’m here to help”.  

Ronnie could certainly spin a phrase back in the day, couldn't he? 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Virginian11 said:

I’ve always said when the government touches something it’s messed up within minutes the second someone opens their mouth.  I’m not sure what the solution is for the rent other than to start cutting taxes among taxes that’s related to the industry. We are already in debt but that’s for elsewhere and another place and another time. I just can’t figure out when does doing the same thing over and over get anyone in any results. As they saying goes when you do the same thing over and over and get no results it’s called insanity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Virginian11 said:

Appreciate your post - I don’t share the same faith you do (both parties are ridiculous caricatures of themselves) but agree in theory with your words as the way it SHOULD BE-  my apologies, however; I’ve taken this thread in the wrong direction, my friends.  Back to RVA development!  

Same here sorry everyone. Back to the good stuff. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Virginian11 said:

When the free market has failed us, it's the government's duty to act to protect it's citizens.  The gov'ts main job is to put guardrails on unfettered capitalism and big business run amuck to protect everyday people.  Unregulated industry poisoned our waters, so the gov't stepped in and created the Clean Water Act. I'd like to think that was an undebatable good thing but these days I'm not sure people think that anymore.

Housing costs are running wild and people are fed up.  As another poster noted, in this country the gov't is the people, and if things continue this way the people are going to demand the gov't act.  If you don't want the gov't to step in then the market needs to get its act together and fix itself. 

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Hike said:

Governments have laws, rules, procedures - people or individual(s) follow them, however convoluted the process may seem, people are doing their jobs. 

My favorite example of this was when I worked at a local gov't and we would bid out jobs.  Contractors would complain it was too hard doing business with us, too much red tape.  Uh, a lot of that stuff is required because YOUR trade group advocated for it. 

You wanted to give priority to local contractors? OK well guess what, now you have to prove you are a local contractor when you bid.  You wanted a transparent bid process so you could see what you needed to fix if you lost a bid? OK well guess what, now all bids and evaluations need to be documented step by step.  You wanted a clear deadline on when bids are due so others can't underbid you at a later date? OK well guess what, now the bid has to arrive before a precise time and stamped or it is nonresponsive and will not be included in the evaluation process.

People get the gov't they ask for, then complain about it being inefficient, incompetent, or worse some evil entity out to get everyone.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

As a recovering Libertarian, THANK YOU.

It took me too long to realize just saying "GOV.T IS NOT THE ANSWER" is just an excuse not to try to fix issues and an easy way out of the conversation when you don't know how to argue a good solution. 

Housing is overpriced? Let free market handle it

People are hungry? Let free market handle it

War? Let free market handle it

Slavery? Let free market handle it

Tax cuts for the rich? Let the gov.t do that one ;)

You and my wife both tell me I don't know how to argue a good solution.  I feel right at home!  :tw_smiley:Appreciate you, man!   And for the record, I do agree with a lot of your points! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

My favorite example of this was when I worked at a local gov't and we would bid out jobs.  Contractors would complain it was too hard doing business with us, too much red tape.  Uh, a lot of that stuff is required because YOUR trade group advocated for it. 

You wanted to give priority to local contractors? OK well guess what, now you have to prove you are a local contractor when you bid.  You wanted a transparent bid process so you could see what you needed to fix if you lost a bid? OK well guess what, now all bids and evaluations need to be documented step by step.  You wanted a clear deadline on when bids are due so others can't underbid you at a later date? OK well guess what, now the bid has to arrive before a precise time and stamped or it is nonresponsive and will not be included in the evaluation process.

People get the gov't they ask for, then complain about it being inefficient, incompetent, or worse some evil entity out to get everyone.

George Carlin's take on this from the '90s is absolutely CLASSIC - and 100% spot on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

As a recovering Libertarian, THANK YOU.

It took me too long to realize just saying "GOV.T IS NOT THE ANSWER" is just an excuse not to try to fix issues and an easy way out of the conversation when you don't know how to argue a good solution. 

Housing is overpriced? Let free market handle it

People are hungry? Let free market handle it

War? Let free market handle it

Slavery? Let free market handle it

Tax cuts for the rich? Let the gov.t do that one ;)

Meh. It goes both ways - both parties now are consumed with the opposite take - every problem is now a government problem that only a new government solution and program can answer. As someone between a small 'l'' libertarian to a neo-liberal myself I emphasize more targeted services for government programs - not broad based interventions. Which apart from the anarcho-capitalist fringe has a strong tradition from classical liberal up to libertarian thinkers. I don't know many pro-war or slavery libertarians  - liberal movements through history have historically been allied with pacifist and abolitionist groups - or how tax cuts could be initiated by anyone else but the collector. Housing is the one area where long time libertarian messaging is gaining ground - the realization that government impositions on land and land use , building codes and tariffs o n materials etc. have distorted the market so extremely to make some of our cities unavailable to whole classes of people. I'm more interested that local\state government take deep economic considerations into account when they make decisions - not that they shouldn't have certain decisions in their purview at all. 

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Meh. It goes both ways - both parties now are consumed with the opposite take - every problem is now a government problem that only a new government solution and program can answer. As someone between a small 'l'' libertarian to a neo-liberal myself I emphasize more targeted services for government programs - not broad based interventions. Which apart from the anarcho-capitalist fringe has a strong tradition from classical liberal up to libertarian thinkers. I don't know many pro-war or slavery libertarians  - liberal movements through history have historically been allied with pacifist and abolitionist groups - or how tax cuts could be initiated by anyone else but the collector. Housing is the one area where long time libertarian messaging is gaining ground - the realization that government impositions on land and land use , building codes and tariffs o n materials etc. have distorted the market so extremely to make some of our cities unavailable to whole classes of people. I'm more interested that local\state government take deep economic considerations into account when they make decisions - not that they shouldn't have certain decisions in their purview at all. 

I don’t think anyone is pro slavery and I guess whatever some defines as slavery nowadays I don’t think we have slavery anymore even though people say we do. I do feel there are other countries in the world who do and yes I’m looking at you china. Here we may have problems but not like the rest of the world does. At least we are able to fly out of the country without having to worry about being murdered. At least we aren’t censored to the news from other parts of the world. I will say there are lots that can be worked on. My main concern is the cost of things and the cost of living vs wages. The only way I see that ever being fixed is cutting taxes and cutting regulations and fees on industries that it is tied to. I’m 100000 percent against rent control it will make the whole country a giant slumlord. Yes interest rates are high but I will say this all of this inflation and everything going sky high was self inflicted. It should have never happened in the first place. But like I said this discussion needs to end and go into off topic. Can we get a mod to move this? It’s getting really off topic in here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

But like I said this discussion needs to end and go into off topic. Can we get a mod to move this? It’s getting really off topic in here. 

Agreed - it's beyond the scope and the INTENT of this forum (RVA UP).

We now return to our REGULARLY-SCHEDULED RICHMOND programming... already in progress! :tw_smiley:

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 7:35 PM, Brent114 said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the Westminster site now has a tower crane (I believe the other two crawler cranes there have been mentioned?).  

Also found this construction update from their website and photo grabbed an image of the crane being assembled from it. 

https://youtu.be/iuXPArQY1G8

FA56DFDD-19F1-4755-9F42-6D515EDF7663.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hike said:

Also found this construction update from their website and photo grabbed an image of the crane being assembled from it. 

https://youtu.be/iuXPArQY1G8

FA56DFDD-19F1-4755-9F42-6D515EDF7663.jpeg

WOWZERS!!!!!!!!!!! Thank SO much for grabbing this and posting it! 

Holy moly - the engraver is gonna be busy with all the names going on this week's OFFICIAL RVA/UP YDM SILVER PORT-A-POTTY trophy.  I agree with @Shakman-- only one trophy per week - but we can certainly have multiple names engraved for multiple award winners.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

WOWZERS!!!!!!!!!!! Thank SO much for grabbing this and posting it! 

Holy moly - the engraver is gonna be busy with all the names going on this week's OFFICIAL RVA/UP YDM SILVER PORT-A-POTTY trophy.  I agree with @Shakman-- only one trophy per week - but we can certainly have multiple names engraved for multiple award winners.

You should have differed award categories like the espys or the Oscar’s? Best quality crane photo. Best view of a crane. Could be a fun weekly award type of tbing. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Downtowner said:

You should have differed award categories like the espys or the Oscar’s? Best quality crane photo. Best view of a crane. Could be a fun weekly award type of tbing. 

This is VERY true!! Maybe we can do something along those lines. I definitely want to make the OFFICIAL SILVER PORT-A POTTY trophy for the RVA UP YOU DA MAN award a weekly thing. Like you said, just a little something fun for us to enjoy every week. I like the category idea -- we'll have to come up with something to make that work.