Chamberlayne / VUU / Northside

RiverYuppy

16 minutes ago, whw53 said:

To top it all off - huge rezoning filed today to B7 for almost entire stretch of Lombardy between Graham and Overbrook. Both sides. Roth Jackson is the consultant which follows a pattern of meanin this site is gonna go UPPP  ^^^ 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/ec0d279a-0858-4dd9-9491-6ac19956056f

Screenshot 2023-10-03 173721.png

Wow - and this is literally just a block or so south of the new mixed-use building at the far north end of Lombardy. Holy moly!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

To top it all off - huge rezoning filed today to B7 for almost entire stretch of Lombardy between Graham and Overbrook. Both sides. Roth Jackson is the consultant which follows a pattern of meanin this site is gonna go UPPP  ^^^ 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/ec0d279a-0858-4dd9-9491-6ac19956056f

Screenshot 2023-10-03 173721.png

They should cap this off by eliminating that tail end of Seminary. No reason for the road to continue there. That's more land that can be put to use and taxed, and less maintenance for the city.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

UPDATE:

@RVABizSenseMikehas reporting in today's RBS about this proposed development. Very exciting possibilities for this stretch of N. Lombardy, to have a pair of five-story mixed use buildings rise across the street from each other, particularly with the proposed six-story building a block north on Lombardy in the works. Like what we've been seeing in the Brookland Park area, this section of the Northside is ripe for redevelopment and could very well be poised for some explosive growth in the next few years as, indeed, developers really have their eyes on this part of town. The Northside is really starting to take off in multiple locations, and it will be pretty amazing to see these locations bloom as the redevelopment takes hold.

Here's hoping these projects get swift approvals (whether involving re-zoning requests or SUP filings) and can move into the action phase of groundbreaking and construction sooner rather than later.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/09/two-5-story-buildings-eyed-for-former-animal-motel-site-on-lombardy/

lombardy-animal-motel-Cropped-2048x1152.jpg

lombardy-car-site-2048x1536.jpg

Screenshot (3256).png

BOOM. If VUU can get its act together on their gateway building this corridor thats long been a major opportunity area could be completely flipped from blight to nearly 100% redeveloped in just a year or 2.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

BOOM. If VUU can get its act together on their gateway building this corridor thats long been a major opportunity area could be completely flipped from blight to nearly 100% redeveloped in just a year or 2.

image.png.38af476a1236ee323016e6e9597d28cf.png!!!  You know it!! Sounds like we need a new mantra that applies to neighborhood resurrections such as this (the VUU-area of the Northside): FBTB - "From Blight To Boom".

Loving seeing this. I might be wrong, but this drives home even more how much we need that north-south PULSE line running right through the VUU area, regardless of whether the line goes into/through downtown or merely skirts downtown via Belvidere Street. Imagine how much more redevelopment would be spurred on with the PULSE line there. Wow...

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/19/downtown-tattoo-shops-move-to-brookland-park-blvd-adds-to-activity-in-the-northside-neighborhood/

Article talks about it a bit like it's old news (focus is the tattoo parlor moving in), and I knew they were renovating the building on the corner of North Ave and BPB, but I didn't know they were expanding it that much and adding apts across the street.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some income-based housing is on top for the western end of Bellevue. @RVABizSenseMikehas reporting in today's RBS that 78 apartments in a pair of three-story buildings are planned for an undeveloped parcel adjacent to Imperial Village (the former Imperial Plaza) at 3940 Rosedale Avenue. Interestingly, of the 78 units planned, only five would be of the one-bedroom variety - a marked change from almost all of the new market-rate multi-family residential construction in RVA. According to Mike's reporting, the developers hopeful to have financing finalized and be underway with construction by next summer. No zoning variances are needed - and a POD has been filed with the city and awaits approval.

Glad to see this in the pipeline.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/16/78-unit-bellevue-gardens-income-based-apartment-project-eyed-next-to-imperial-village/

bellevue-gardens-map1-Cropped.jpg

bellevue-gardens-drawing.png

Screenshot (3399).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

It would be great to see that section of Lombardy get redeveloped.  The current corridors to Northside are all pretty rough, though AA Boulevard is certainly turning around.

I would love for VUU to get started on the gateway building, but I won't be holding my breath. They're currently in permitting trouble with the city. Also the last project they started in 2018 is still going.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2023 at 10:55 AM, RiverYuppy said:

I would love for VUU to get started on the gateway building, but I won't be holding my breath.

Boy am I happy to eat those words!

It looks like the VUU/Chamberlayne area really is about to start to kick off! This will have a multiplier effect for Brookland Park as well, as it is what people mostly see when traveling to BP.

Some recent developments. It looks like permits were pulled for the mixed-use apartments across from the abandoned church -> apartments renovation on Brookland Park.

I also saw some permits pulled for the five-story building set to replace the old animal motel.

Unfortunately the lot where the planned five-story building across from Tabol Brewing is now up for sale. 

I will try to get out and get some pictures soon. There is also an abandoned church that caught fire (next to the one being rehabbed into apartments) recently. It was such a massive fire you could see burnt debris from it a quarter mile away. It will be interesting to see what comes of it, as it is on a pretty substantial lot.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

I also saw some permits pulled for the five-story building set to replace the old animal motel.

Been wondering if there would be some movement on that soon, really glad it's not dead as it will be HUGE for the Lombardy corridor. 

Unfortunately it looks like the other development not far from Tabol on the old school bus maintenance lot at Chamberlayne & Tazwell is dead as well. Absolutely nothing happened after the demo and a for sale sign has been up for quite a while.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Boy am I happy to eat those words!

It looks like the VUU/Chamberlayne area really is about to start to kick off! This will have a multiplier effect for Brookland Park as well, as it is what people mostly see when traveling to BP.

Some recent developments. It looks like permits were pulled for the mixed-use apartments across from the abandoned church -> apartments renovation on Brookland Park.

Unfortunately the lot where the planned five-story building across from Tabol Brewing is now up for sale. 

I will try to get out and get some pictures soon. There is also an abandoned church that caught fire (next to the one being rehabbed into apartments) recently. It was such a massive fire you could see burnt debris from it a quarter mile away. It will be interesting to see what comes of it, as it is on a pretty substantial lot.

Permits were "pulled" - what does "pulled" in this context mean? That the permits have been invalidated? Sorry for the uneducated question - I'm just confused as tot he context.

It means the permits  have been issued (or are close to being issued, the trigger has been pulled on them).  Not sure what “pulled” means exactly but I know from residential construction that “permits pulled” means I can start working on a project. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

It means the permits  have been issued (or are close to being issued, the trigger has been pulled on them).  Not sure what “pulled” means exactly but I know from residential construction that “permits pulled” means I can start working on a project. 

Thanks, @Brent114-- that's good to know - and I was hoping it meant that and not the opposite. Whew... So that means two of the projects for this part of town are on the verge of getting underway. SWEET!!!

Much appreciated, my friend! :tw_thumbsup:

On 1/12/2024 at 10:33 AM, RiverYuppy said:

Are you sure this is correct lot? I believe the 5 story across from Tabol was at the intersection of Dawn & Tazewell. Looks like attempt at filing demo plans occured last week - 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/eb6f2bde-d775-4160-97d6-0357f2bca88c

Site is 711 Dawn St.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2024 at 5:59 PM, whw53 said:

Are you sure this is correct lot? I believe the 5 story across from Tabol was at the intersection of Dawn & Tazewell. Looks like attempt at filing demo plans occured last week - 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/eb6f2bde-d775-4160-97d6-0357f2bca88c

Site is 711 Dawn St.

Good catch. I believe I pasted the wrong link.  I went back to loop net to find the correct one and the listing appears to no longer be up.

I was able to find the listing here on LongAndFoster.com

This 0.551-acre site is currently improved with two conjoined office/industrial structures and a parking lot at the corner of Tazewell and Dawn Streets that was previously zoned M-1 Light Industrial. Permits are being pulled to demolish the current improvements onsite. Rezoning to B-7 Mixed-Use Business District designation allowing the proposed mixed-use development has already been done. Plans are available for a mixed-use building with 47 one- and two-bedroom units in three residential floors over ground level podium parking and 1,200± square feet of commercial space as well as a total of 52 dedicated parking spaces. Geotechnical study, environmental study, market study and appraisal are complete as well as city approval and special use zoning approval have already been secured. Don't miss this fantastic development opportunity appraised to be an incredible investment!

Also some more looking indicates that 711 Dawn St. was in foreclosure back in March/April.

I would love to see the project come through. I've been waiting for years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Next to the church being redeveloped on Brookland Park, there was another abandoned church behind it. Unfortunately it caught fire recently, so I grabbed some pictures of it and the one being developed.

I'm hoping the burnt church doesn't sit there for ages and some sort of redevelopment happens sooner than later.

The fire was so big that when walking to it I could see debris of burnt wood wafers 6 inches long as far as 5 blocks away from it!

Also I meant to get more pictures for y'all elsewhere today but it was so cold my hands were freezing up operating the drone.

DJI_0006.JPG

DJI_0007.JPG

DJI_0008.JPG

The new building looks amazing - and wow - it got built VERY quickly. I'm super impressed. VERY sorry about what happened to the church in the next block - man oh man - that's heartbreaking. I'm with you - hopefully that location will get redeveloped quickly and that burned-out hull of the old building won't just sit there.

And - unquestionably - some OFFICIAL RVA/UP Silver Hardware is coming your way. Mazal Tov!! Well done!

Screenshot (2877) - Copy.png

Edited by I miss RVA

23 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Next to the church being redeveloped on Brookland Park, there was another abandoned church behind it. Unfortunately it caught fire recently, so I grabbed some pictures of it and the one being developed.

I'm hoping the burnt church doesn't sit there for ages and some sort of redevelopment happens sooner than later.

The fire was so big that when walking to it I could see debris of burnt wood wafers 6 inches long as far as 5 blocks away from it!

Also I meant to get more pictures for y'all elsewhere today but it was so cold my hands were freezing up operating the drone.

DJI_0006.JPG

DJI_0007.JPG

DJI_0008.JPG

Great pictures, I heard about this fire but didn't know it was so close to the new development. I'm sure the GC and project owner were freaked, lucky the fire didn't jump over, that unfinished building would have gone up like tinder.

• Like 1

One of the developments approved for Lombardy in the VUU/Chamberlayne area popped up on LoopNet.

The add states that they already have a special use permit to build the building but are looking to sell it to someone who will finish the project. Very similar to what was going on with the Dawn St. apartments across from Tabol.

Hoping it doesn't get scrapped.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

One of the developments approved for Lombardy in the VUU/Chamberlayne area popped up on LoopNet.

The add states that they already have a special use permit to build the building but are looking to sell it to someone who will finish the project. Very similar to what was going on with the Dawn St. apartments across from Tabol.

Hoping it doesn't get scrapped.

Ugh. I was thrilled about this one. How often are projects picked up after a sale? Slightly more than never?

45 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Ugh. I was thrilled about this one. How often are projects picked up after a sale? Slightly more than never?

Oy vey... this is becoming too much of a trend - projects get announced, SUPs get approved, everything's ready to go... I guess except financing? And the developer pulls the plug, puts the property and papers on the market. So add this one to the project formerly known as The Admiral, the one on the western edge in Scott's Addition - and now these two on the Northside.

What the heck is going on? Is not the construction economy starting to become a bit more friendly - or is the turnaround still too slow at this point? (Meaning - interest rates haven't come down yet, etc.)

So this is at least four projects that were in the pipeline that this has happened two in the last year plus. I'm worried that the older two (the one in Scott's and the Admiral) are beyond salvageable and we won't ever see those - hopefully these two on Northside won't meet that fate.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like VUU moving fairly quickly with the first step of their 10 year plan. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/02/05/vuu-lands-40m-investment-plans-up-to-200-homes-at-brook-and-overbrook/

Apts and homes to go in along Overbrook. Not a critical area but some nice infill there. Expected to start construction by the end of this year and be done in 2025.

• Like 3