OPINION: Does COVID-19 Mark the Top of the Orlando Building Boom?

Jvest55

56 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm retired so I pretty much stay home all the time anyway,  

Ergo, no big lifestyle change for me other than that I might start doing my grocery shopping late at night, even after midnight, in order to avoid  close proximity to people. 

One of the advantages of being a Walmart shopper I guess. 

FYI, some Walmarts are closing at night now instead of staying open.

Just now, JFW657 said:

I was kind of expecting to hear that.

I’m not sure it matters. When I order online to pickup at Target they text me back a few seconds later saying, “oops, we’re out of that” and last night the Eola Publix looked like one of those old Soviet Union grocery store pics with empty shelves.

Normally, I’d assume this would pass as they ramp up for the demand surge but if the folks in the supply chain can’t report to work for fear of being exposed to the virus this could get interesting.

43 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m not sure it matters. When I order online to pickup at Target they text me back a few seconds later saying, “oops, we’re out of that” and last night the Eola Publix looked like one of those old Soviet Union grocery store pics with empty shelves.

Normally, I’d assume this would pass as they ramp up for the demand surge but if the folks in the supply chain can’t report to work for fear of being exposed to the virus this could get interesting.

We might all be relying on community food banks before long.

Pre-assembled boxes of you-get-what-you-get items based on what's available.

It's past time for the grocery stores to begin implementing limits on certain items.

All items if it gets that far.

• Like 1

Looks like yet more people out of work.

No more cash toll collections on the local expressways until the bug is dead.

If you don't have SunPass they'll do the pay by plate thing and you'll get a bill in the mail.

I would imagine they'll waive the usual extra administrative fees. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, W7edwin said:

The fact republicans and libertarian politicians are suddenly clamoring for UBIs is telling me something. .. we're not bouncing back anytime soon 

I haven't heard of them clamoring for UBI, just a one time stimulus check (and that from republicans, not libertarians). Any citation of any Republicans who want a UBI now?

6 hours ago, aent said:

I haven't heard of them clamoring for UBI, just a one time stimulus check (and that from republicans, not libertarians). Any citation of any Republicans who want a UBI now?

Everything I’ve seen from Republicans is “temporary UBI.” 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Looks like yet more people out of work.

No more cash toll collections on the local expressways until the bug is dead.

If you don't have SunPass they'll do the pay by plate thing and you'll get a bill in the mail.

I would imagine they'll waive the usual extra administrative fees. 

Welp looks like we just went from testing to full bore implementation.

On the topic - when does a boom technically end?  A completely stop?   

Assuming Society and others don’t stop mid construction, I could see more projects continuing to go up even if at a slower pace.   “Meds and Ed’s” man.   Two hospital districts with UCF in between.

On 3/21/2020 at 1:30 AM, Jernigan said:

On the topic - when does a boom technically end?  A completely stop?   

I would argue a boom ends when important economic metrics turn bearish.

One would need to look at the stock market, employment rates, vacancy rates, lending and credit markets for example. Orlando has been booming because people have been moving to smaller cities from larger cities. I am not sure if people who are on the brink of losing their job, or have already lost one, will take a gamble and move to our city beautiful right now. With a cash crunch going on with essentially all businesses, nobody will agree to pay such expensive leases in our newly built buildings, and I don't see regular people splurging on luxury rentals with amenities that can't even be used. We are just a couple weeks into this... 

There's an eye-opening thread on Reddit where people talk about the situation they are in. Lots of just regular folk in hard times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/flgaml/people_who_lost_their_job_due_to_this_crisis_what/

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

Holy crap!  What bank was this?  I'm about to get the ball rolling on refi to replace mine at my 4.38%

Homebridge Financial. The market is so crazy right now that the rates are fluctuating by the day by a lot. I know someone who works at that bank and told him to give me a call when the rate drops in the 2s so he can lock it in.

Edited by orange87