The Coronavirus thread

"Gov. Roy Cooper issued a new stay-at-home order on Tuesday to limit the spread of coronavirus, ordering most businesses to close at 10 p.m. each night, starting Friday.

The order will require all restaurants, bars, personal care businesses and most retailers to be closed between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. Alcohol sales for on-site consumption will have to end at 9 p.m."

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/new-pandemic-stay-at-home-order-to-close-nc-businesses-at-10-pm/19419179/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

Thank you for posting this.  It truly puts this whole situation into perspective - crystal clear perspective for some!  Well hopefully.  Remember - this is still a hoax to a lot of people.

Indeed. Can someone PLEASE explain to me how 70+% of republicans think the election was not fair?  Plus, in the context of this thread, that they don't think masks help or even believe COVID  is a hoax. It's easy to chalk this up to really dumb people but obviously there must be some pretty "normal" people in this group. I mean 70% of Republicans!!! I simply cannot wrap my head around it and without understanding it how can we fix it? In a way, banning false stories from TV - aka Oann, Fox "personalities, Newsmax etc..  via the FCC, could resolve a lot of it but it goes against our culture. Dangerous times. Democracy and a free press should not make this inevitable.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

recommend you listen to the NYT podcast "The Daily" on how the Trump admin has passed on 200M doses of vaccine leaving us without enough to vaccinate the country. Last night on the newshour Azir said they didn't want to put all their eggs on one basket in case it fails. Well, guess what? The deal was only valid if the Vaccine was approved. Liar...

Thank goodness these stooges will be gone soon. Hopefully Pfizer or Maderna can be pushed to share their "formula" with other companies so there is more mfg capability. Somehow I doubt these clowns are laying that groundwork though. It's predicted we may lose around 3 months of vaccine progress. Thus, untold thousands more will have been killed by this admin. 

Yet, 70%+  still support them. Mind boggling...

Here is the podcast:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL3RoZS1kYWlseQ/episode/Z2lkOi8vYXJ0MTktZXBpc29kZS1sb2NhdG9yL1YwL0d4cjB6alVLcmpkSTcwTkM5c2J3OFJ5dDMxQ0FWNUlvMi1nUEdHRjJaTzA?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahgKEwjwseHMwsbtAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQ-AY&hl=en

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 4

On 12/9/2020 at 9:42 PM, kermit said:

More deaths than on 9/11 yesterday...

I suspect the daily death ticker needs context. My home state of FL back dates and brings deaths forward in batches. Ex: 71 deaths were recorded Friday. But these deaths occurred on 28 separate dates going back to June 16. We should probably also discuss attribution of death.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

your right, this is probably mostly an accounting problem. If it turns out there were just 2,700 American deaths that day then we are certainly overreacting. 

Welcome back Dale.

Thanks for the welcome back. Incredibly, still alive! 

See: FL. Same mess applies. And you’re right. It ain’t the flu, bro! The flu kills young people.

Europe is entering another full lockdown with the new COVID mutation. Please reconsider your travel plans this Christmas.

Antigenic escape. The location of the mutations in the receptor binding domain of the spike glycoprotein raises the possibility that this variant is antigenically distinct from prior variants. Four probable reinfections have been identified amongst 915 subjects with this variant but further work is needed to compare this reinfectionrate with comparable data sets.

Growth rate from genomic data:which suggest a growth rate of VUI-202012/01that that is 71% (95%CI: 67%-75%)higher than other variants.

NERVTAG meeting on SARS-CoV-2 variant under investigation VUI-202012/01

https://khub.net/documents/135939561/338928724/SARS-CoV-2+variant+under+investigation%2C+meeting+minutes.pdf/962e866b-161f-2fd5-1030-32b6ab467896?t=1608470511452