The Coronavirus thread

I did not read it as a joke. I understood it to be in the vein as" New administration will face republican questions about deficit never raised with previous deficit loving administration", and "Biden has highest death count" (except for previous president).  Blame transference as a political play rather than a joke.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 5:48 PM, kermit said:

I was told that the virus would just disappear after the election....

Baffled by Biden. He is sitting in the catbird seat. He could easily declare himself ‘Virus Victor’ by asking states to cycle down PCR tests, watch ‘cases’ plummet and then point to the vaccine (which is really a fig leaf). Instead, the whole of his Covid plan seems to consist of sending us an extra batch of masks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/5/2021 at 3:53 PM, Dale said:

Baffled by Biden. He is sitting in the catbird seat. He could easily declare himself ‘Virus Victor’ by asking states to cycle down PCR tests, watch ‘cases’ plummet and then point to the vaccine (which is really a fig leaf). Instead, the whole of his Covid plan seems to consist of sending us an extra batch of masks.

I'm pretty certain that Biden has been saying all along hasn't changed. He has always backed masks and there is overwhelming scientific evidence that backs that up. Please do not continue the spread of misinformation. Even if you don't believe masks work to prevent the spread of COVID-19, masks cause no harm to you or to anyone else.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

I'm pretty certain that Biden has been saying all along hasn't changed. He has always backed masks and there is overwhelming scientific evidence that backs that up. Please do not continue the spread of misinformation. Even if you don't believe masks work to prevent the spread of COVID-19, masks cause no harm to you or to anyone else.

If masks work, why is the CDC now recommending we wear two ? Cut to the chase: masks are a symbol of fear and fragility.

59 minutes ago, DMann said:

I would rather fear going on a ventilator

I would too. In the early going, out of wholesale panic, they were being used as first resource, rather than last recourse ... and we’re killing large numbers. 

12 minutes ago, JHart said:

Read that first sentence back to yourself, reeeeeeeeeeaaaaal slowly and see if you can figure it out :tw_joy: 

I was just playing devil’s advocate. BTW, it’s reportedly the second thing the serpent told Eve, after having tempted her with fruit: “Wear a mask.” Curiously, that verse does not appear in extant copies.

9 minutes ago, Dale said:

I would too. In the early going, out of wholesale panic, they were being used as first resource, rather than last recourse ... and we’re killing large numbers. 

I was just playing devil’s advocate. BTW, it’s reportedly the second thing the serpent told Eve, after having tempted her with fruit: “Wear a mask.” Curiously, that verse does not appear in extant copies.

Snakes don't talk, fruit is good for you, and "devil's advocate" doesn't literally mean say what you think the devil would like you to say..

15 minutes ago, JHart said:

Snakes don't talk, fruit is good for you, and "devil's advocate" doesn't literally mean say what you think the devil would like you to say..

Okay, I get it. We can’t talk about science. And we can’t talk about the Bible. So how about this dreary weather ?

35 minutes ago, Dale said:

Okay, I get it. We can’t talk about science. And we can’t talk about the Bible. So how about this dreary weather ?

I'm more than happy to talk about the science and data of the Coronavirus currently, but unfortunately this:

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Cut to the chase: masks are a symbol of fear and fragility.

would be the epitome of false information and no where even remotely close to a scientific argument. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JHart said:

I'm more than happy to talk about the science and data of the Coronavirus currently, but unfortunately this:

would be the epitome of false information and no where even remotely close to a scientific argument. 

Calling your bluff: no RCT’s with verified outcomes have demonstrated mask efficacy. Further, jurisdictions with mask mandates have not fared better than jurisdictions without mandates. Mark 2020 as the year science pretended we could hide from an aerosolized, submicroscopic particle. https://www.aier.org/article/the-year-of-disguises/

Edited by Dale

2 hours ago, JHart said:

Don't talk to him. It just clogs up the thread so people miss any interesting comments. Now that he's back I avoid reading this thread. Sometimes I can't help myself though - kind of like looking at a car wreck as you drive by... ;-)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Calling your bluff: no RCT’s with verified outcomes have demonstrated mask efficacy. Further, jurisdictions with mask mandates have not fared better than jurisdictions without mandates. Mark 2020 as the year science pretended we could hide from an aerosolized, submicroscopic particle. https://www.aier.org/article/the-year-of-disguises/

Well of course there aren't any RCTs demonstrating mask efficacy, it would be entirely irresponsible to set known infectious coronavirus patients loose with/without masks to study virus transmission. Instead there are plenty of peer-reviewed studies measuring how effectively specific types of masks and materials stop particles from passing through. 

That article is dangerous as well in that there are scientific principles the author demonstrates his knowledge of but then would completely ignore something to make his point, very similar to some flat-earth style gotcha Youtube video. Weird how this one guy figured out how to prove scientifically that masks do nothing and we are all wasting our time and decided to publish a non-sourced opinion article in a right-wing economic think-tank instead of a scientific journal! 

If you read his article and believed it completely then your highest level gut-check would be that every single doctor and nurse everywhere across the country that works in the ICU or Covid-ward would be infected. We are nowhere even remotely close to those levels. There's so many holes in his line of reasoning, but he writes it in a way that somebody who has already made up their mind that Coronavirus is a hoax and masks do nothing can follow along and think this guy is incredibly smart and makes great points.

14 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Don't talk to him. It just clogs up the thread so people miss any interesting comments. Now that he's back I avoid reading this thread. Sometimes I can't help myself though - kind of like looking at a car wreck as you drive by... ;-)

It’s fairly transparent that any contra-narrative perspective fosters agitation. Narrative: Black Plague hooked up with Andromeda Strain and had a love child Ebola. 

11 minutes ago, JHart said:

Well of course there aren't any RCTs demonstrating mask efficacy, it would be entirely irresponsible to set known infectious coronavirus patients loose with/without masks to study virus transmission. Instead there are plenty of peer-reviewed studies measuring how effectively specific types of masks and materials stop particles from passing through. 

That article is dangerous as well in that there are scientific principles the author demonstrates his knowledge of but then would completely ignore something to make his point, very similar to some flat-earth style gotcha Youtube video. Weird how this one guy figured out how to prove scientifically that masks do nothing and we are all wasting our time and decided to publish a non-sourced opinion article in a right-wing economic think-tank instead of a scientific journal! 

If you read his article and believed it completely then your highest level gut-check would be that every single doctor and nurse everywhere across the country that works in the ICU or Covid-ward would be infected. We are nowhere even remotely close to those levels. There's so many holes in his line of reasoning, but he writes it in a way that somebody who has already made up their mind that Coronavirus is a hoax and masks do nothing can follow along and think this guy is incredibly smart and makes great points.

We’re living in a milieu in which microbiologists become flat-earthers and goalposts are moved to extrapolate from surgery to Harris-Teeter shoppers. In March, Fauci was telling us we didn’t have any business wearing masks. That at best, they may provide for a ‘feeling’ of safety. 

In any case, I’ll simple it down: if masks are necessary, because viruses are always with us - and because they can play a role in deaths year round - we must wear them always and forever, right ?

Alternatively, have any of us reflected on how many people have died, over the years, because we weren’t wearing masks ?

18 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I seem to recall MONTHS ago, former CDC Director Redfield arguing for back to school.

38 minutes ago, Dale said:

We’re living in a milieu in which microbiologists become flat-earthers and goalposts are moved to extrapolate from surgery to Harris-Teeter shoppers. In March, Fauci was telling us we didn’t have any business wearing masks. That at best, they may provide for a ‘feeling’ of safety. 

In any case, I’ll simple it down: if masks are necessary, because viruses are always with us - and because they can play a role in deaths year round - we must wear them always and forever, right ?

Alternatively, have any of us reflected on how many people have died, over the years, because we weren’t wearing masks ?

I seem to recall MONTHS ago, former CDC Director Redfield arguing for back to school.

Nah, maybe it was a novel (new) virus that was learned about as things progressed, and like most scientist the new data created a new narrative and additional countermeasures.   Surely you can't be that obtuse.  And the reasons CDC has moved along in their thinking is due to advanced information about the virus coupled with more people  getting vaccinated.  I'll never quite get that myopic simple minded conservative slant on things.....Gawd it must be a miserable existence to be "right" all the time or make up shat to seem so...a perpetual echo chamber of ignorance.

24 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

Nah, maybe it was a novel (new) virus that was learned about as things progressed, and like most scientist the new data created a new narrative and additional countermeasures.   Surely you can't be that obtuse.  And the reasons CDC has moved along in their thinking is due to advanced information about the virus coupled with more people  getting vaccinated.  I'll never quite get that myopic simple minded conservative slant on things.....Gawd it must be a miserable existence to be "right" all the time or make up shat to seem so...a perpetual echo chamber of ignorance.

Science: “That’s a interesting observation that I hadn’t accounted for. Thanks and I’ll take that into account.”

Science in 2020: “WTAF ??? What, are you a Trump-supporter ???”