DXV Central | 17-Story Office/Residential [Proposed]

DreS0803

14 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

How "Real" do yall think this project is and it's chances of happening? 

I would place the "realness" somewhere between VMC and MEC being built. But frankly that is about where I also place Golden Sparrow, the 500 and numerous other projects on the board.

I know this is not a common belief here, but I give the MEC a somewhat higher probability of being built just because it makes so much sense for the team. OTOH, the longer they wait the more that probability declines.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2019 at 3:51 AM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Ugly ass building 

ah, you don't like it's design.   gotcha.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

For the record, I support this project and MEC (although I loathe its owners and believe we can do better). It’s ignoring the rest of Parramore and Callahan that I have issues with.

nothing is going to get built to benefit Parramore et al; it didn't with the building of the soccer stadium and it surely won't with a residential high rise.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

You’re absolutely right until we change mayors.

Right off hand I don't recall any past admins that did much for that particular area. Pretty much all the development along Hughey was done under previous admins as was the old Magic arena. Going deeper into the area the various government buildings came under previous admins. The reason there has never been large scale private investment in the area is because no one wanted to put the money there. Previous admins did not save Parramore for the residents, they let just let it continue to decline.

Now that the CV is coming to fruit some investors will want to build on the fringes of that development. Getting an investor that wants to build a large project and says he wants to include low income apartments is a win.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Right off hand I don't recall any past admins that did much for that particular area. Pretty much all the development along Hughey was done under previous admins as was the old Magic arena. Going deeper into the area the various government buildings came under previous admins. The reason there has never been large scale private investment in the area is because no one wanted to put the money there. Previous admins did not save Parramore for the residents, they let just let it continue to decline.

Now that the CV is coming to fruit some investors will want to build on the fringes of that development. Getting an investor that wants to build a large project and says he wants to include low income apartments is a win.

You are correct because Mayor Bill made a handshake deal to leave Parramore be at the same time the other downtown neighborhoods were preserved. It served the triple purpose of keeping the African-American leaders at bay from a very white administration, it also served to restrict the land around the core to encourage density and as a peace offering so the JYP extension could go through ( the folks in the black neighborhoods were of course skeptical in the aftermath of I4 and the E-W).

It held until Big Project Buddy and his friends at firms like Carolina-Florida Properties negated the agreement with the decision to build the new Am (and later OCSC).

Had Buddy had the slightest interest in neighborhood building like was done on the east side of I4, we’d all be singing Kumbaya. now (or many of us - some old-timers don’t want anything touched). Of course that’s not Buddy’s way- if he ignores it long enough he wins with demolition by neglect and his land-banking partners make yet another fortune with a neighborhood no one much cares for as it now exists. A bunch of Cabrini Green-esque towers probably wouldn’t be much better but hey, Buddy doesn’t have to live there, right?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

You are correct because Mayor Bill made a handshake deal to leave Parramore be at the same time the other downtown neighborhoods were preserved. It served the triple purpose of keeping the African-American leaders at bay from a very white administration, it also served to restrict the land around the core to encourage density and as a peace offering so the JYP extension could go through ( the folks in the black neighborhoods were of course skeptical in the aftermath of I4 and the E-W).

It held until Big Project Buddy and his friends at firms like Carolina-Florida Properties negated the agreement with the decision to build the new Am (and later OCSC).

Had Buddy had the slightest interest in neighborhood building like was done on the east side of I4, we’d all be singing Kumbaya. now (or many of us - some old-timers don’t want anything touched). Of course that’s not Buddy’s way- if he ignores it long enough he wins with demolition by neglect and his land-banking partners make yet another fortune with a neighborhood no one much cares for as it now exists. A bunch of Cabrini Green-esque towers probably wouldn’t be much better but hey, Buddy doesn’t have to live there, right?

Cabrini Green... nice reference.

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I think a rooftop pool 17 story high-rise that will cost a lot of $$$  throwing in "low income" housing units for PR purposes is the same as the Magic parading the MEC proposal to make their organization seem...with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I think a rooftop pool 17 story high-rise that will cost a lot of $$$  throwing in "low income" housing units for PR purposes is the same as the Magic parading the MEC proposal to make their organization seem...with it.

Typically a developer will build a certain number of units that are devoted as "low income" and these may be mixed in with higher priced market rate product which has come to expect those amenities. Often times a municipality will require a certain number of these type units to "allow" a concession such as density bonus. In the end, the developer has incentive to build and still make the amount of money they want for the investment, the community gets housing stock they need. That seems to me to be a good thing.

10 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Typically a developer will build a certain number of units that are devoted as "low income" and these may be mixed in with higher priced market rate product which has come to expect those amenities. Often times a municipality will require a certain number of these type units to "allow" a concession such as density bonus. In the end, the developer has incentive to build and still make the amount of money they want for the investment, the community gets housing stock they need. That seems to me to be a good thing.

well, with that understanding, then...yes...I agree.

BizJournals released an article stating that developer plans to break ground in mid 2020 with the project wrapping in mid 2022. 

However, part of the high-rise's office space will need to be pre-leased before construction starts”

Also, in reference to cost, the article stated:

The high-rise may feature smaller-sized apartments, which would make rents more affordable”

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/09/construction-timeline-revealed-for-proposed-17.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

11 hours ago, DreS0803 said:

BizJournals released an article stating that developer plans to break ground in mid 2020 with the project wrapping in mid 2022. 

However, part of the high-rise's office space will need to be pre-leased before construction starts”

Also, in reference to cost, the article stated:

The high-rise may feature smaller-sized apartments, which would make rents more affordable”

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/09/construction-timeline-revealed-for-proposed-17.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

According to the GS article from last week... "The development plan calls for 189 apartments – most of which would be studio units ranging from 402 to 582 square feet (31 units are 1 and 2 bedroom) – with rents starting at $850." Hirschfeld (developer) says he thinks he could have the residential filled in 9-12  months.

As Dre pointed out it will all hinge on getting a large portion of the 88,000 feet of commercial pre-leased.

• Like 1

Oof!  I appreciate the thought, but you don't want me in that role.  Unfortunately it feels the politics world beyond community and planning boards seems to steamroll over good people, and those people either have to change, or they drop out.  Even Mayor McCheese's position would be too political for my tastes.  My wheelhouse is the engineering realm.  

Plus I'm enjoying baby Codypet too much right now.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Oof!  I appreciate the thought, but you don't want me in that role.  Unfortunately it feels the politics world beyond community and planning boards seems to steamroll over good people, and those people either have to change, or they drop out.  Even Mayor McCheese's position would be too political for my tastes.  My wheelhouse is the engineering realm.  

Plus I'm enjoying baby Codypet too much right now.

I call dibs on being Grimace in your cabinet!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DXV got rezoning approval from  Municipal Planning today along with CSP2&3 and the Lennar Homes resort on Idrive.

"The MPB approved Hirschfeld’s rezoning request for the tower, which will include ground-floor retail uses, a valet-served parking garage..."

"The construction schedule would rely on pre-leasing of a significant portion of the commercial office space, Hirschfeld told GrowthSpotter."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-planning-board-20191015-2ezjk2mmajcrrlnbr7xqscz2uy-story.html

• Like 1