One Beale (new) |Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Centric hotel, Caption by Hyatt hotel, apartments

VSRJ

What is so disturbing to me is that during the same time frame Carlisle found funding to demolish the Nylon Net Building and construct apartments. I anticipate that there will be a switcheroo  and they will ask to construct more cheaply built apartments. The City and DMC should notify Carlisle that if hotel construction doesn’t begin in the next 6 months, they lose their parking agreement at the Mobility Center. 

• Like 2

The more you step back and think about this situation, it is all boiling down to a power move by the head honcho, Carlisle. 

He holds this much coveted, prime piece of Memphis riverfront, Beale Street property, and he is telling the city "I'll do with it as I want to and no one can tell me otherwise."

So his unwilling compliance to the idea of shelling out another $5 million was to show the city of Memphis that he'll keep the lot vacant or turn it into a parking lot before being "used" as an ATM, to build the hotel.

I think that it's a typical trait of some developers with big projects and big money and big track records in cities: power moves by stalling projects and saying "F you - here's the result."

Putting their power over everything else with developments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

The more you step back and think about this situation, it is all boiling down to a power move by the head honcho, Carlisle. 

He holds this much coveted, prime piece of Memphis riverfront, Beale Street property, and he is telling the city "I'll do with it as I want to and no one can tell me otherwise."

So his unwilling compliance to the idea of shelling out another $5 million was to show the city of Memphis that he'll keep the lot vacant or turn it into a parking lot before being "used" as an ATM, to build the hotel.

I think that it's a typical trait of some developers with big projects and big money and big track records in cities: power moves by stalling projects and saying "F you - here's the result."

Putting their power over everything else with developments. 

Agreed. It’s especially frustrating that he’s a local developer. He knows how big this development would be for the city.

• Like 2

Just now, VSRJ said:

Agreed. It’s especially frustrating that he’s a local developer. He knows how big this development would be for the city.

Yes it’s definitely a power play and a leverage maneuver. He wants the city to fork over more money they won’t do he’s showing I can make money off parking 🅿️ so F y’all 

1 hour ago, TheKernel91 said:

At this point while he wait his for the $5 Million....  let the Clipper hotel come back to life. From my understanding, the possibility of One Beale emergence what pivoted the plans stop.

I wonder if he’s waiting on the new mayor to see what he can get out of him/her. It just doesn’t make sense to take this prime piece of real estate that his father had a big vision for and turn it into a lot. Can’t help to think how much he would’ve needed for the original design and height. Why would he be petty about 5m when we need hotels? The Beale landing is expanding, there will be more visitors coming to Memphis. Maybe he’s waiting on the economy to get better. Nevertheless, no matter how long the wait for this or the clipper, we’ll just have to wait. We need hotel rooms for the convention center too. 

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I wonder if he’s waiting on the new mayor to see what he can get out of him/her. It just doesn’t make sense to take this prime piece of real estate that his father had a big vision for and turn it into a lot. Can’t help to think how much he would’ve needed for the original design and height. Why would he be petty about 5m when we need hotels? The Beale landing is expanding, there will be more visitors coming to Memphis. Maybe he’s waiting on the economy to get better. Nevertheless, no matter how long the wait for this or the clipper, we’ll just have to wait. We need hotel rooms for the convention center too. 

When Chance Carlisle did that interview with WATN a few months back, he implied that he was willing to wait until a new administration is in place around this time next year before making any moves on building the Grand Hyatt.

I really hope there will be some movement on developing the surface lot behind FedEx Logistics' HQ (former Gibson factory) within a couple of years. Doesn't necessarily have to include an office component if leaders can convince Somera Road to pursue a hotel & conference center there instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, James Owen said:

When Chance Carlisle did that interview with WATN a few months back, he implied that he was willing to wait until a new administration is in place around this time next year before making any moves on building the Grand Hyatt.

I really hope there will be some movement on developing the surface lot behind FedEx Logistics' HQ (former Gibson factory) within a couple of years. Doesn't necessarily have to include an office component if leaders can convince Somera Road to pursue a hotel & conference center there instead.

Would love to see a culinary science center/ hotel / conference built downtown. That would be amazing fit based on our food history. Something like this:

https://auranecenter.com/

Edited by Memphisborn
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 9:49 AM, DowntownUrbanite said:

What is so disturbing to me is that during the same time frame Carlisle found funding to demolish the Nylon Net Building and construct apartments. I anticipate that there will be a switcheroo  and they will ask to construct more cheaply built apartments. The City and DMC should notify Carlisle that if hotel construction doesn’t begin in the next 6 months, they lose their parking agreement at the Mobility Center. 

You shouldn't be disturbed about that part.   The overall funding of the project wasn't the problem.  The problem arose when the city, at the last minute, decided to change the wording of the agreement.  That change delayed the finalization of financing, at which time, an increase in interest rate occurred, increasing the cost of the project.  Carlisle is looking at it, as why should he foot the $5 million increase, when all terms were agreed to, and ready to proceed, then the city wanted to change things at the last minute.  The conference center part of this project was going to be city owned.  So, some of the increase in costs, due to the interest rate, was going to effect something, that he wasn't even going to own.  The funding for the Nylon Net project could have very well been finalized before that rate hike. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, James Owen said:

Thanks! I bet the new mayor will be Paul Young. If that’s the case we can be confident that he’ll get the money.  There’s a lot of surface lots on Second and Mulberry too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Thanks! I bet the new mayor will be Paul Young. If that’s the case we can be confident that he’ll get the money.  There’s a lot of surface lots on Second and Mulberry too. 

Yeah, I think Paul Young is the leading candidate. He’s the one that has the best economic development experience.

How in the world is Herenton still eligible to hold the office of mayor? He’s already been elected 5 or 6 times. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

It's only three lots along that stretch - one of which is used as resident parking for The Chisca, and another where a new Home2 Suites is currently under construction. The block bounded along Mulberry, Pontotoc, Second, and Vance is the one missing link in need of redevelopment the most in that area along with the aforementioned lot where The Clipper was supposed to go.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I think Paul Young is the leading candidate. He’s the one that has the best economic development experience.

How in the world is Herenton still eligible to hold the office of mayor? He’s already been elected 5 or 6 times. 

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there has to be a certain amount of time from the last term? He made history and all, but does he think he’s the new Boss Crump? LOL. 

22 hours ago, James Owen said:

It's only three lots along that stretch - one of which is used as resident parking for The Chisca, and another where a new Home2 Suites is currently under construction. The block bounded along Mulberry, Pontotoc, Second, and Vance is the one missing link in need of redevelopment the most in that area along with the aforementioned lot where The Clipper was supposed to go.

I meant to include whole area south of FEF where there are lots too. Really don’t want to fill up everything. Need to find a spot for where the new arena will go when that time comes. 

4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there has to be a certain amount of time from the last term? He made history and all, but does he think he’s the new Boss Crump? LOL. 

I meant to include whole area south of FEF where there are lots too. Really don’t want to fill up everything. Need to find a spot for where the new arena will go when that time comes. 

Any new arena will most likely happen south of Crump or maybe across danny thomas but either way that is so many years away i wouldnt worry about it.

10 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Any new arena will most likely happen south of Crump or maybe across danny thomas but either way that is so many years away i wouldnt worry about it.

It could also be rebuilt where the COGIC church and Church park is, and rebuild Church Park where the Forum currently is.  There's always the option of tearing down the FEF and rebuilding at the same spot.  Of course, this would require relocating for a season to somewhere like Little Rock, or.....I won't say it, the N place.  That may be unacceptable to some.  

17 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

12 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

It could also be rebuilt where the COGIC church and Church park is, and rebuild Church Park where the Forum currently is.  There's always the option of tearing down the FEF and rebuilding at the same spot.  Of course, this would require relocating for a season to somewhere like Little Rock, or.....I won't say it, the N place.  That may be unacceptable to some.  

I don't know why anyone is assuming this, but FedExForum is not going to be replaced any time soon, and there is really no need to do so. It's at a good location and most arenas its age (some of which are older like Target Center in Minneapolis and Footprint Center in Phoenix) have undergone substantial renovations over the years to bring them up to current standards. That will be the same case here rather than a rebuild/replacement.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, James Owen said:

I don't know why anyone is assuming this, but FedExForum is not going to be replaced any time soon, and there is really no need to do so. It's at a good location and most arenas its age (some of which are older like Target Center in Minneapolis and Footprint Center in Phoenix) have undergone substantial renovations over the years to bring them up to current standards. That will be the same case here rather than a rebuild/replacement.

It's just something that needs an eye kept on, and planned for long in advance of actually starting.  Currently, the FedEx Forum is the 8th newest NBA arena, and will be 9th when the Clippers open up their new arena next season.  We're still in good position, and a long way away from needing something new.  Major renovations like the Target Center, TD Garden, and some others have had, extend the life of the arenas.  You don't want to be the oldest, most outdated arena (except MSG, they get a pass because of historical significance), so planning/upgrades should always be active and ongoing.  Even though we are in the top third of newest arenas, we are only 12 years newer than the oldest arena (not including MSG.)  I know the city is working on getting a plan together for major updates for the Forum over the next several years.  However, you never know what innovations may occur over the next 20 years, that make the FedEx Forum completely obsolete and incapable of upgrading to the future standards.  Therefore, some idea of a contingency plan for a new arena should always be kept in mind.  

7 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Neshoba, TN? You’re allowed to say that. LOL. Oh, you meant that other place. Unacceptable. LOL. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Neshoba, TN? You’re allowed to say that. LOL. Oh, you meant that other place. Unacceptable. LOL. 

Yep unacceptable. I admire their growth however I despise the elitist attitude and mind set. Honestly before it was IT City it was sh- - City. I remember when it was nothing but Country music and a Hee- Haw show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

Yep unacceptable. I admire their growth however I despise the elitist attitude and mind set. Honestly before it was IT City it was sh- - City. I remember when it was nothing but Country music and a Hee- Haw show.

And when sidewalks didn't exsist there lol but very very well admire the glow up and where it is now. 

I got a feeling this pause in the development will make a developer step up and try and fill that gap. 

I'm sure the 100 N Main process is helping the city pitch for bigger conventions. Someone gotta come with the cash already up front.

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

And when sidewalks didn't exsist there lol but very very well admire the glow up and where it is now. 

I got a feeling this pause in the development will make a developer step up and try and fill that gap. 

I'm sure the 100 N Main process is helping the city pitch for bigger conventions. Someone gotta come with the cash already up front.

Well Sheraton is in play now with their total renovation plans and additional 300 room tower. Hoping it’s a JW Marriott 300 room addition like originally planned 

2 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Well Sheraton is in play now with their total renovation plans and additional 300 room tower. Hoping it’s a JW Marriott 300 room addition like originally planned 

True. I have forgotten about their plans. Whenever the rending drop, we can see how much closer we are to it.

From what it looks like, the Aloft hotel should be done this year. News have been quiet about it.

25 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

True. I have forgotten about their plans. Whenever the rending drop, we can see how much closer we are to it.

From what it looks like, the Aloft hotel should be done this year. News have been quiet about it.

Process has been slow (which was to be expected), but based on what I've seen the last few times passing by the future Aloft (old Tenoke building), they're almost at the finish line.

• Like 2