Pedestrian Shaming in Charlotte

kermit

Are we ever going to start enforcing basic rules of the road again?  (Other than "speeding" on 485 where enforcement benefits absolutely nobody).  I grab a drink and sit on that patio once a month or so, and it is astounding how many cars pass by at night with no lights on (or highbeams on at all times), dented body panels from crashing into other cars, etc.

Last Thursday I saw a Cadillac Escalade crash into a Mercedes crossover on Caldwell St across from the Midnight Diner.  The CMPD officer literally parked across the street was slooooooooow to react, even as the Escalade driver attempted to escape through the gravel parking lot across from the Hyatt House.  I had also just witnessed the same Escalade crash into the median a block before at the 4th St intersection.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

As my insurance agent told me years ago, at any time about 25% of the cars and drivers on the road should not be there due to some lapse in licensing, inspection, insurance, tag date, illegal operation, use and contents of vehicle and other established judgment failures. At night the number increases and on weekend nights that percentage goes WAAAY higher.

edit: Rideshare (uber/lyft) reduce bad driving and consequences. Including fatalities:

https://direct.mit.edu/rest/article-abstract/doi/10.1162/rest_a_01385/117898/Uber-and-Traffic-Fatalities

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 4

On 1/23/2024 at 12:44 PM, kermit said:

Wrong thread but…

this list is from Condé Nast. Lots happening here but it is 100% bullcrap to say Charlotte is more walkable than Baltimore (among other things — Pittsburgh ain’t a great place to walk, no New Orleans?)

it is interesting that one of the biggest travel publishers in the world is suggesting that Charlotte is walkable however.

image.thumb.png.6c8a5f1265e34ea262f84450513f3c51.png
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/most-walkable-cities-in-the-us

Believe it or not, the list makes sense. I travel a lot throughout the year for my work and leisurely excursions to other cities.  Charlotte does have a very walkable urban core area and surrounding neighborhoods for a major city in the Sunbelt & South.

Is Charlotte perfect? No, but if you're visiting you can walk with a good pair of walking shoes around most of the intown places of interest within in the urban core areas or within reach of the LYNX Blue & Gold Lines walksheds.

Austin & Atlanta are alright to visit but generally speaking they aren't as walkable to me nor urban explorer nerd/traveler friends. We have to have a private vehicle to get around both places.

Two of them were here last fall without a vehicle for 3-day weekends. Both said they actually were pleased with our pedestrian, and multiuse pathways infrastructure. Per their words, we do have apparently advantages on our walkability front.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

It was reported that none of the other crossing guards in Fort Mill showed up for work today. I can’t imagine why anyone would do that job after the local police declare it to be open season on your profession. 

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 5

On 3/28/2024 at 8:52 AM, kermit said:

It was reported that none of the other crossing guards in Fort Mill showed up for work today. I can’t imagine why anyone would do that job after the local police declare it to be open season on your profession. 

Some more info came out from the Solicitors Office on their decision... Apparently there was video footage captured from a school bus and witnesses did not report the driver speeding. The crossing guard was standing in the median and holding his stop sign facing east when he stepped backwards into the north bound lane without looking and his stop sign perpendicular to the driver still facing east. The school zone speed limit there is 30 mph and the impact was almost instant as he stepped back in front of the car. 

The town is lobbying to have the school zone speed limits further reduced to make it more likely a situation like this would have the crossing guard walk away with a lower impact. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Some more info came out from the Solicitors Office on their decision... Apparently there was video footage captured from a school bus and witnesses did not report the driver speeding. The crossing guard was standing in the median and holding his stop sign facing east when he stepped backwards into the north bound lane without looking and his stop sign perpendicular to the driver still facing east. The school zone speed limit there is 30 mph and the impact was almost instant as he stepped back in front of the car. 

The town is lobbying to have the school zone speed limits further reduced to make it more likely a situation like this would have the crossing guard walk away with a lower impact. 

Who is going to slow down when the road looks like this?  That looks like 65+ mph would be a more than comfortable speed to drive at.

springfield pkwy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...