Pedestrian Shaming in Charlotte

kermit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/4/2023 at 11:14 PM, kermit said:

^ Hope they also plan to cite crosswalk encroachers, speeders and stop sign runners.

If drivers are not stopping at crosswalks, as the law requires, then pedestrians don't get any benefit from using them.

Boy, you'll get a ticket in a heartbeat in Oregon if you drive through a crosswalk with someone even looking like they're going to step into it. This law really needs to be enforced.

• Like 4

On 9/4/2023 at 6:14 PM, kermit said:

^ Hope they also plan to cite crosswalk encroachers, speeders and stop sign runners.

If drivers are not stopping at crosswalks, as the law requires, then pedestrians don't get any benefit from using them.

Zebra crossings are often a danger. People think that drivers will stop as they are crossing, and half of the time they don't. Foreigners should be warned that traffic only stops for deer and geese (sometimes). The crosswalks seem to be targets for the daring. I will not blame locals as we are a small percentage of the population. Where are the cops?  I support zebra crossings. I just wish that laws demanding drivers stop for pedestrians were tougher and/or enforced. 

Edited by Larry Singer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

As a pedestrian I am ashamed that anyone in this city would think this is okay to do.  There was a girls soccer game at Pearl St Park.  I wish I had a ticket pad I could have busted at least 6 doing this.  The city needs to not allow this to happen. 

These people would call the cops on me if I ever parked like that on their curb in their neighborhood which I am guessing from the cars and vehicles I saw is quite nice and nearby too. 

20231022_162412.jpg

It gets even worse sometimes. I've seen people just straight up parking in the bike lane blocking the entire path.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay from Charleston our sister city on the coast.  Even the Ravenel Bridge pedestrian bike protected lane is not safe from motorists.

No injuries reported after vehicle drives onto pedestrian lane of the Ravenel: CPD (msn.com)

the driver was reportedly follwing this GPS and was from the great state of Florida.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, davidclt said:

I feel seen. Not sure why CDOT / CMPD don't take this intersection seriously?

The most charitable interpretation of their failure to do anything useful here is CDOT is intentionally letting it become a crapshow in order to speed the pedestrianization of the street.

I don't really think that is what is happening here but...

[I cross this street as a pedestrian very frequently and  I honestly believe I am more likely to get hit here than when I am crossing South blvd. ]

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...