Sterick Building Redevelopment

VSRJ

15 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

It’s going to be a rising tide to lift all boats type development 

Agreed. I know the usual retail shops will line the base of the Sterick building, but I would like to see a variety of businesses around it.

I have longed wished that someone would convert the corner of Madison and BB King into some comedy clubs and create a specific comedy district for the city. I know there are a couple of comedy clubs in Memphis and popup comedy shows that happen all around town, but Memphis needs its own comedy club district.

Something that I would like to see included in their future development, a food hall, like the closed Puck’s Food Hall and the Global Café. Having a variety of select food options as well as entertainment would be a plus, plus, for that area of downtown. An indoor playground and trampoline park would also make a great amenity.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Agreed. I know the usual retail shops will line the base of the Sterick building, but I would like to see a variety of businesses around it.

I have longed wished that someone would convert the corner of Madison and BB King into some comedy clubs and create a specific comedy district for the city. I know there are a couple of comedy clubs in Memphis and popup comedy shows that happen all around town, but Memphis needs its own comedy club district.

Something that I would like to see included in their future development, a food hall, like the closed Puck’s Food Hall and the Global Café. Having a variety of select food options as well as entertainment would be a plus, plus, for that area of downtown. An indoor playground and trampoline park would also make a great amenity.

Interesting idea 💡 I agree on both fronts comedy district and definitely a food hall would be a great concept. Let’s see how creative they get with this development I agree we need something new and innovative not the usual retail chain stuff. Sterick is such an amazing structure it needs vibrancy and mass appeal. A food hall would be amazing! 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 2:54 PM, DowntownUrbanite said:

The Sterick should become predominantly a luxury hotel mixed with several floors of luxury residences near the top, the relocation of the Visible Music School on several levels above the ground floor, and hotel lobby, restaurants, lobby bars, and gift shops on the ground level. The current Visible Music School would be demolished, and along with the surface parking lots and Avis Rental Center, be transformed into an 8-10 level parking garage, with an apartment liner building overlooking Autozone Park, a new performing arts center and theater to be shared by the visible Music School and hotel, and a new vehicle rental center to serve Downtown.

Agree on luxury hotel primary use would love to see a St Regis type brand come into the market. Could also have conference space, condos up top plus retail / restaurant lower level. 

Best news I heard today.   I hope the building is painted white again, and the roof becomes green as it was originally.  I hope some of the shag carpet will be left intact, since Memphis could use two jungle rooms.   I have seen pictures of one of the offices that was equipped with a fireplace.  Please Mr. Harris, leave the fireplace if possible.  Finally, bring out the marble and remove the sheetrock.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony Randolph said:

Best news I heard today.   I hope the building is painted white again, and the roof becomes green as it was originally.  I hope some of the shag carpet will be left intact, since Memphis could use two jungle rooms.   I have seen pictures of one of the offices that was equipped with a fireplace.  Please Mr. Harris, leave the fireplace if possible.  Finally, bring out the marble and remove the sheetrock.

This is going to be a great redevelopment I noticed the article mentioned possible hospitality use. Not sure if that’s referring to a hotel component of something else

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

This is going to be a great redevelopment I noticed the article mentioned possible hospitality use. Not sure if that’s referring to a hotel component of something else

Downtown needs more hotel rooms, so the fact the developers are even considering such is the right move to make.

In fact, I even made a suggestion about it back in October:

I would restore the Sterick back to its original color scheme of white/grey with a green roof (preferably a metal one) at the top as I feel it stands out better that way.

As to how I would go about repurposing the entire building, here's what I would suggest:

- Make the first 12 floors into hotel space with retail/restaurant space on the ground level, meeting space on the second level and some rooftop amenities on the 14th floor (roof garden, event space, etc.)

- Make floors14-27 into mixed residential/single-family use

- Make floors 28 & 29 into penthouse space for 2-4 tenants

- If necessary, make floors 13, 18, 22, and the roof level into electrical/mechanical room space for HVAC

In regards to parking, they can always utilize the motor court next door as it was intended to be used (sharing with the existing Hotel Indigo), and if need be, the garage across the street on Madison could be used as well.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, James Owen said:

Downtown needs more hotel rooms, so the fact the developers are even considering such is the right move to make.

In fact, I even made a suggestion about it back in October:

I remember a lot of people commenting that the ceiling height in the building was  not conducive to having hotel rooms. Glad the article gave clarity that second ceiling was added to original ceiling and that can be removed. Good news and clarification 

• Like 3

Here is some more free and probably unwanted advice:   I worked in the Dermon Building back in the 1990's when I was employed by the state.  The developers started the renovation on the bottom floors and worked up to the top floors.  On the first floor of the Dermon Building was George's Coffee shop, a tailor, and a private investigation agency, plus a couple of other businesses.  I do remember the first floor was fully occupied.   Maybe this would work for the Sterick.   Perhaps the pizza parlor could be opened fairly quickly.  Also, maybe the pharmacy could be opened as a CVS or other national chain, or perhaps an independent business.  If a pharmacy is not doable, a small, high quality health food store would be cool.   I can say from my own experience as being a long-time downtown worker, life got worse after  EasyWay  shut down.  Correct me if I am mistaken, but I think the pharmacy used to have a soda jerk.    And this may be an extreme stretch, but maybe the former bank, wait for it.......could be opened as a bank.    I think having foot traffic could be beneficial for future apartment or condo dwellers by building excitement.

Finally, if I was Stuart Harris, and I truly envy him by the way, I would fly a 48-star flag on the flag staff while rehabbing the property to honor classic Sterick history, and then replace it with the 50-star flag during the grand opening.   If that is a dumb idea, I would definitely start flying the American flag to let everyone know the building is coming back to life. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tony Randolph said:

Here is some more free and probably unwanted advice:   I worked in the Dermon Building back in the 1990's when I was employed by the state.  The developers started the renovation on the bottom floors and worked up to the top floors.  On the first floor of the Dermon Building was George's Coffee shop, a tailor, and a private investigation agency, plus a couple of other businesses.  I do remember the first floor was fully occupied.   Maybe this would work for the Sterick.   Perhaps the pizza parlor could be opened fairly quickly.  Also, maybe the pharmacy could be opened as a CVS or other national chain, or perhaps an independent business.  If a pharmacy is not doable, a small, high quality health food store would be cool.   I can say from my own experience as being a long-time downtown worker, life got worse after  EasyWay  shut down.  Correct me if I am mistaken, but I think the pharmacy used to have a soda jerk.    And this may be an extreme stretch, but maybe the former bank, wait for it.......could be opened as a bank.    I think having foot traffic could be beneficial for future apartment or condo dwellers by building excitement.

Finally, if I was Stuart Harris, and I truly envy him by the way, I would fly a 48-star flag on the flag staff while rehabbing the property to honor classic Sterick history, and then replace it with the 50-star flag during the grand opening.   If that is a dumb idea, I would definitely start flying the American flag to let everyone know the building is coming back to life. 

Let's go with the 50-star flag.  Or could even go with the Memphis City Flag

Flag of Memphis, Tennessee.svg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Randolph said:

This video mentioned the bank has layout for a restaurant.

https://wreg.com/news/take-a-look-inside-the-sterick-building-new-owner-plans-bright-future/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

Even though they only shown the lobby area in the video, it looks better intact on the inside than I thought. 

Yes the building is not in horrible condition. They installed a second ceiling for fire safety and it can be removed hopefully the original marble ceiling is under there intact 

4 hours ago, Tony Randolph said:

I love the idea of having a pharmacy with a soda shop or soda shop/ pizza parlor.  I hope the Gray Canary would reopen in the Sterick. Flying a flag is a brilliant idea and would definitely get the tongues to wagging. 

1 hour ago, TheKernel91 said:

Even though they only shown the lobby area in the video, it looks better intact on the inside than I 

It really does. I love the marble in the lobby and the brass fixtures on the staircase. 

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes the building is not in horrible condition. They installed a second ceiling for fire safety and it can be removed hopefully the original marble ceiling is under there intact 

That marble is beautiful. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tony Randolph said:

Didn't know a flag was flown back in the day at Sterick. Would this be on the roof?

10 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I love the idea of having a pharmacy with a soda shop or soda shop/ pizza parlor.  I hope the Gray Canary would reopen in the Sterick. Flying a flag is a brilliant idea and would definitely get the tongues to wagging. 

It really does. I love the marble in the lobby and the brass fixtures on the staircase. 

That marble is beautiful. 

There is nothing like it in Memphis probably not in the Mid south region period. It’s one of a kind. Queen of the south 

• Like 1

Always great news for Memphis. Keep us updated!!!!!!!! Sorry for the absence as things seem to be running smoothly here and I have been occupied with other things for the last couple of weeks.

I know this building is an important part of the history of Memphis and great to see something happening at LAST!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Always great news for Memphis. Keep us updated!!!!!!!! Sorry for the absence as things seem to be running smoothly here and I have been occupied with other things for the last couple of weeks.

I know this building is an important part of the history of Memphis and great to see something happening at LAST!

Yes it will invigorate that corridor of downtown. It’s very close to the up and coming edge district and should attract more developers to that area as well it’s truly a rising tide to lift all boats type project. 

4 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

There is nothing like it in Memphis probably not in the Mid south region period. It’s one of a kind. Queen of the south 

That building has such an opulence about it and I sense, once complete, it will be recognized for its uniqueness and beauty. The hotel component will be a 5 Star. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

That building has such an opulence about it and I sense, once complete, it will be recognized for its uniqueness and beauty. The hotel component will be a 5 Star. 

No real details about a hotel component just residential is what keeps getting mentioned. That and a restaurant in the old bank

On 4/7/2023 at 10:20 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Didn't know a flag was flown back in the day at Sterick. Would this be on the roof?

There is a flag mast that hangs at about a 35 degree angle over BB King, formerly 3rd street.  The only tall building I am aware of that has a flag on the roof is the Clark Tower.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 1:39 PM, Memphisborn said:

No real details about a hotel component just residential is what keeps getting mentioned. That and a restaurant in the old bank

I had to go back and read the articles, and you're correct, there's no mention of a hotel component. I hope there will be. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tony Randolph said:

Something I learned today while watching the Stewart Hicks channel on YouTube concerning converting underutilized office buildings into residential units.  After all the tragedy that happened in New York City during the pack 'em in tenement era is the residential buildings must have windows that can be opened.  The Sterick does have opening windows, while 100 N. Main does not.  Up until today, I believed the 100th N. Main would be an easier project since that building had only been abandoned for a few years and was much newer than the Sterick, among other factors such as the HVAC on 100 N. Main is probably much better than the Sterick, but converting sealed windows into opening windows would probably be very difficult and costly.

How do I know the windows in the Sterick can be opened?  Just so happened during the mid to late 1980's while I was exploring the Sterick visiting a friend that might have opened the last business in the Sterick I believe some time in 1985, nature called when I was on the top floor.  I went to the men's room, and the bathroom window was open.   If I recall correctly, my friend's business was named the Professional Writers Group and he specialized in writing resumes.  He rented the space that housed the pharmacy for about $300 a month, which he negotiated down from $1200 a month.    I cannot remember his name, but I believe his first name was Michael and he was previously a reporter/writer for the Commercial Appeal.   

One more Sterick story I remember is relatively recent.  About 10 years ago, there was some sort of inspection crew examing the top exterior of the building.   The scaffolding platform broke, and a couple of guys were left dangling.  Several Memphis firefighters ran up over 20 floors to rescue the men.  Now here is the funny part, at least to me:  After they performed the rescue, they then learned the building had a working elevator that went up to the top floors.

That’s really interesting! I’m sure there will be much more about the building’s history uncovered once work begins.

Edited by VSRJ