Sterick Building Redevelopment

VSRJ

19 hours ago, Tony Randolph said:

Something I learned today while watching the Stewart Hicks channel on YouTube concerning converting underutilized office buildings into residential units.  After all the tragedy that happened in New York City during the pack 'em in tenement era is the residential buildings must have windows that can be opened.  The Sterick does have opening windows, while 100 N. Main does not.  Up until today, I believed the 100th N. Main would be an easier project since that building had only been abandoned for a few years and was much newer than the Sterick, among other factors such as the HVAC on 100 N. Main is probably much better than the Sterick, but converting sealed windows into opening windows would probably be very difficult and costly.

How do I know the windows in the Sterick can be opened?  Just so happened during the mid to late 1980's while I was exploring the Sterick visiting a friend that might have opened the last business in the Sterick I believe some time in 1985, nature called when I was on the top floor.  I went to the men's room, and the bathroom window was open.   If I recall correctly, my friend's business was named the Professional Writers Group and he specialized in writing resumes.  He rented the space that housed the pharmacy for about $300 a month, which he negotiated down from $1200 a month.    I cannot remember his name, but I believe his first name was Michael and he was previously a reporter/writer for the Commercial Appeal.   

One more Sterick story I remember is relatively recent.  About 10 years ago, there was some sort of inspection crew examing the top exterior of the building.   The scaffolding platform broke, and a couple of guys were left dangling.  Several Memphis firefighters ran up over 20 floors to rescue the men.  Now here is the funny part, at least to me:  After they performed the rescue, they then learned the building had a working elevator that went up to the top floors.

For one, I'm sure all the windows in 100 N Main will be replaced.  Secondly, I think that the windows could be opened.  These two images show that the windows slid to the side.  But the Morgan Keegan building does not have windows that open, and they have talked about converting a lot of it to residential.  

<strong>Debris, apparently left by squatters, litters a former office in 100 North Main, which has been vacant since 2014.</strong> (Neil Strebig/The Daily Memphian)

One of the most depressing things is how fast it fell into disrepair': A  look inside the downtown building everyone wants to save

Edited by MDC26
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Tony Randolph said:

There is a flag mast that hangs at about a 35 degree angle over BB King, formerly 3rd street.  The only tall building I am aware of that has a flag on the roof is the Clark Tower.

The Lincoln American Building also has a flag pole.

image.jpeg.d0466466653222477c2bf1a6c463bd65.jpeg

Speaking of things on top of buildings, the Shrine building used to have a cupola on top of it, but it's no longer there.  Anybody know why it got removed?  Looked nice with it.

The Shrine Building | 66 Monroe Avenue, Memphis. Built in 19… | Flickr

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I had to go back and read the articles, and you're correct, there's no mention of a hotel component. I hope there will be. 

I actually think it will be best for all residential except for retail/restaurant ground floor.  I hope they take advantage of the rooftop areas to make some nice balcony/terraces.  

On the other hand, I would have rather seen 100 N Main be all hotel.  A full service luxury hotel.  Like maybe an Intercontinental hotel.  It could have serve as another convention center hotel with 500 rooms.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

I actually think it will be best for all residential except for retail/restaurant ground floor.  I hope they take advantage of the rooftop areas to make some nice balcony/terraces.  

On the other hand, I would have rather seen 100 N Main be all hotel.  A full service luxury hotel.  Like maybe an Intercontinental hotel.  It could have serve as another convention center hotel with 500 rooms.  

Yes 100NMain is close in proximity to CC so it’s perfect for overflow rooms. Sheraton has plans that have been approved to renovate and build additional 300 room hotel. Which would make it 900 rooms with crosswalk and trolley access 

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

For one, I'm sure all the windows in 100 N Main will be replaced.  Secondly, I think that the windows could be opened.  These two images show that the windows slid to the side.  But the Morgan Keegan building does not have windows that open, and they have talked about converting a lot of it to residential.  

<strong>Debris, apparently left by squatters, litters a former office in 100 North Main, which has been vacant since 2014.</strong> (Neil Strebig/The Daily Memphian)

One of the most depressing things is how fast it fell into disrepair': A  look inside the downtown building everyone wants to save

Glad to hear the windows in N. Main open.  I have spent much time in 100 N. Main and have never seen an open window.  I stand corrected.  I would like to see Morgan Keegan converted to residential units, but I have never forgiven the architects, and builders for tearing down the King Cotton Hotel.

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

On the other hand, I would have rather seen 100 N Main be all hotel.  A full service luxury hotel.  Like maybe an Intercontinental hotel.  It could have served as another convention center hotel with 500 rooms.  

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes 100NMain is close in proximity to CC so it’s perfect for overflow rooms. Sheraton has plans that have been approved to renovate and build additional 300 room hotel. Which would make it 900 rooms with crosswalk and trolley access 

I was reading a recent post on the Sterick and the building did have a roof observation deck at one time.  Much like the Empire State Building.  At one time, the Sterick and Empire State Building had the same owners.  The Sterick has had so many owners, I am tempted to look at my old tax records and see if I was once a owner of the Sterick.

3 minutes ago, Tony Randolph said:

Glad to hear the windows in N. Main open.  I have spent much time in 100 N. Main and have never seen an open window.  I stand corrected.  I would like to see Morgan Keegan converted to residential units, but I have never forgiven the architects, and builders for tearing down the King Cotton Hotel.

Yeah, too bad Morgan Keegan building couldn't have been built somewhere else and kept King Cotton Hotel

Crème de Memph: Lost Memphis 34: Hotel King Cotton

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

The Lincoln American Building also has a flag pole.

image.jpeg.d0466466653222477c2bf1a6c463bd65.jpeg

Speaking of things on top of buildings, the Shrine building used to have a cupola on top of it, but it's no longer there.  Anybody know why it got removed?  Looked nice with it.

The Shrine Building | 66 Monroe Avenue, Memphis. Built in 19… | Flickr

Darn, I forgot about the Lincoln American Building having a flag on the top.  I have had the experience of being allowed on the tops of both the Lincoln American Tower and Clark Tower.  The flag atop the Clark Tower is very loud on a windy day.

4 hours ago, Tony Randolph said:

A part of me kinda wishes the owners had considered adding a hotel component to the lower levels of the MK Tower with nods to the old King Cotton included as opposed to just making it all residential. It was a missed opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Owen said:

A part of me kinda wishes the owners had considered adding a hotel component to the lower levels of the MK Tower with nods to the old King Cotton included as opposed to just making it all residential. It was a missed opportunity.

I don’t think they’ve done anything yet, but there are 3 hotels right behind it, so they may not feel the need. They are going to keep office on floors 1-11, and residential 12-21. 

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I don’t think they’ve done anything yet, but there are 3 hotels right behind it, so they may not feel the need. They are going to keep office on floors 1-11, and residential 12-21. 

I agree.  If I was in the shoes of the new owners, I would want to sell condos, maybe rent apartments or some office space so I could amortize as quickly as possible.  I would not want the headache of contracting with a hotel chain and/or trying to hire a bunch of hotel employees in this tight labor market.    Maybe I am wrong, and I have been frequently wrong on many (most) of my posts on the Sterick on Urban Planet, but there appears to be a shortage of dentists and other health professionals in downtown Memphis.  My dentist moved to east Memphis when 1st Tennessee made their downtown building their main ops center.   

I am hoping the Sterick will be as self-contained as the Crosstown Concourse.   The Sterick will have a better YMCA since it will encompass an outside walking path.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 9:44 PM, JTM1 said:

I had to go back and read the articles, and you're correct, there's no mention of a hotel component. I hope there will be. 

Anything short of a JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton, Renaissance, St. Regis, Waldorf Astoria, Four Seasons, or Luxury Collection would be a slap in the face to the beauty of this building. 

Edited by DowntownUrbanite
Addition
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

That is far too much office space unless there is a commitment from someone not already located Downtown. Raymond James is sitting nearly empty for a Class A Office Building with an unobstructed river view. The Sterick should have active ground floor retail, no more than 5 levels of office above the retail, a major luxury hotel on the middle floors, and luxury residences on the top floors. The long term viability of the building will be a challenge since there is no parking. I believe relocating the Visible Music School into the building, replacing the current school building with a large parking structure containing hotel amenities and meeting rooms on top and a liner building with residences overlooking Autozone Park fronting Madison Avenue is the best solution for this building. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

That is far too much office space unless there is a commitment from someone not already located Downtown. Raymond James is sitting nearly empty for a Class A Office Building with an unobstructed river view. The Sterick should have active ground floor retail, no more than 5 levels of office above the retail, a major luxury hotel on the middle floors, and luxury residences on the top floors. The long term viability of the building will be a challenge since there is no parking. I believe relocating the Visible Music School into the building, replacing the current school building with a large parking structure containing hotel amenities and meeting rooms on top and a liner building with residences overlooking Autozone Park fronting Madison Avenue is the best solution for this building. 

I just don't see a luxury hotel unless they're able to do at least 300-350 rooms with adequate size for the Sterick.  Maybe with the Raymond James, they don't want to spend too much on converting to residential until those units are filled, and if they rent out/sell what they are converting, they may convert some more if there is the need.  

12 hours ago, Tony Randolph said:

I agree.  If I was in the shoes of the new owners, I would want to sell condos, maybe rent apartments or some office space so I could amortize as quickly as possible.  I would not want the headache of contracting with a hotel chain and/or trying to hire a bunch of hotel employees in this tight labor market.    Maybe I am wrong, and I have been frequently wrong on many (most) of my posts on the Sterick on Urban Planet, but there appears to be a shortage of dentists and other health professionals in downtown Memphis.  My dentist moved to east Memphis when 1st Tennessee made their downtown building their main ops center.   

I am hoping the Sterick will be as self-contained as the Crosstown Concourse.   The Sterick will have a better YMCA since it will encompass an outside walking path.

Yeah I think you're right.  If they have no hotel experience, it may be just too much of a pain to do, especially in older, existing building, trying to convert it.  With the downtown population continuing to rise, I would expect some more professional offices start to pop up downtown (dentists, optometry, chiropractic, medical, pharmacy, accounting, legal) to serve the increasing demand. I know that the dental school is increasing their enrollment by another 20 or so dentists a year and there are plans for Baptist to open the osteopathic medical school.  

On 4/10/2023 at 10:00 AM, MDC26 said:

Residential would also eliminate the need for more parking, because I believe the Sterick share parking with Hotel Indigo.  I know we're due for a new federal building and they could build it on the plaza, raze the old one and build a convention hotel on that corner and across Poplar. 

I know Mr Harris has his design team, but I think this lighting is perfect for the exterior.

MA Building Exterior v2.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MDC26 said:

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I just don't see a luxury hotel unless they're able to do at least 300-350 rooms with adequate size for the Sterick.  Maybe with the Raymond James, they don't want to spend too much on converting to residential until those units are filled, and if they rent out/sell what they are converting, they may convert some more if there is the need.  

Yeah I think you're right.  If they have no hotel experience, it may be just too much of a pain to do, especially in older, existing building, trying to convert it.  With the downtown population continuing to rise, I would expect some more professional offices start to pop up downtown (dentists, optometry, chiropractic, medical, pharmacy, accounting, legal) to serve the increasing demand. I know that the dental school is increasing their enrollment by another 20 or so dentists a year and there are plans for Baptist to open the osteopathic medical school.  

I don't think Visible Music College is going anywhere.  They just built some additional space behind their main building.  I personally hope they stay where they are since they have become part of the fabric of the neighborhood.    Also, I think the Visible Building is architecturally significant.   

I think there is adequate parking for the Sterick at this time.   There is of course the Indigo Hotel parking garage, which I still want to call the Sterick parking garage, the garage at 44 N. Second Street, and maybe the garage at 1st TN Bank has some extra spaces, some street parking as well as the Avis Lot.  There are also some empty lots nearby where parking garages could be built.  I think it is a little disconcerting that we have become so car dependent that we have to worry so much about parking, especially after about 20 years of Gulf oil wars.  Maybe the Sterick can be self-contained enough so many of the residents will not need cars.  Also, the new owners may decide to have multi-floor units instead of smaller units, especially on the higher floors which would decrease the need for additional parking spots.

Now, about the hotel thing.  I think the Sterick is to far away from the convention center for a viable hotel and there is a hotel already close by across the trolley tracks.  If the 100th N. Main building indeed becomes a hotel that will probably fulfill all the immediate future needs of any additional hotel space.   I can only see a couple of alternatives for a strong hotel argument:  One, the Redbirds become a MLB team and keep the same field, or Memphis becomes a much larger tourist destination.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

Anything short of a JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton, Renaissance, St. Regis, Waldorf Astoria, Four Seasons, or Luxury Collection would be a slap in the face to the beauty of this building. 

I agree. Every time I look at the building  and its craftmanship it leaves me speechless. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

Residential would also eliminate the need for more parking, because I believe the Sterick share parking with Hotel Indigo.  I know we're due for a new federal building and they could build it on the plaza, raze the old one and build a convention hotel on that corner and across Poplar. 

I know Mr Harris has his design team, but I think this lighting is perfect for the exterior.

MA Building Exterior v2.jpg

Oh, definitely the lighting needs to be good like this.  New windows, resurfacing/painting, and lights will make it look amazing at night.  

I don't know how many parking spaces are at Hotel Indigo, but doubt it would be enough for both Hotel Indigo and the Sterick.  However, there is another parking garage just across Madison that is quite large.  Also, the developer bought the lots between Visible Music College and the Commonwealth.  

Edited by MDC26
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 12:45 PM, Tony Randolph said:

I was reading a recent post on the Sterick and the building did have a roof observation deck at one time.  Much like the Empire State Building.  At one time, the Sterick and Empire State Building had the same owners.  The Sterick has had so many owners, I am tempted to look at my old tax records and see if I was once a owner of the Sterick.

Interesting that the both the Empire State Building and the Sterick had the same owner at one time.  

17 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

Agreed if it’s not one of those luxury 5 stars it’s a definite slap in the face. I believe Sheraton has JW Marriott plans for there expansion so Renaissance would make a lot if sense 

5 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I haven't heard anything about a new federal courthouse being planned for Memphis as neither Steve Cohen nor David Kustoff have really been pushing for one. Even so, you're looking at upwards of a 10-year wait for something like that to materialize.

19 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

For the Sterick; a JW Marriott, Renaissance, or Conrad (Hilton) branding would probably work best to include in a mixed-use redevelopment like this.

5 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I don't know how many parking spaces are at Hotel Indigo, but doubt it would be enough for both Hotel Indigo and the Sterick.  However, there is another parking garage just across Madison that is quite large.  Also, the developer bought the lots between Visible Music College and the Commonwealth.

Any new development on those two lots would most likely be done to compliment The Commonwealth (former Medical Arts Building), even if there was a parking deck component included.

1 hour ago, James Owen said:

I haven't heard anything about a new federal courthouse being planned for Memphis as neither Steve Cohen nor David Kustoff have really been pushing for one. Even so, you're looking at upwards of a 10-year wait for something like that to materialize.

For the Sterick; a JW Marriott, Renaissance, or Conrad (Hilton) branding would probably work best to include in a mixed-use redevelopment like this.

Any new development on those two lots would most likely be done to compliment The Commonwealth (former Medical Arts Building), even if there was a parking deck component included.

Here is one of two articles, in the Daily Memphian, discussing the Federal Building. The building is showing its age and the location isn't secure.  

https://dailymemphian.com/article/5039/

I read another one in the Commercial Appeal that gave more detailed, I just need to find it in the archives. The CA article  mentioned Nashville, Chattanooga and Memphis. It also highlighted  the  slowness of GSA and a waiting list. 

As I mentioned earlier, I worked in the Dermon Building in the mid to late 1990s.  The building's owner bought the building "for a song and a dance" (really, a direct quote) but cheaped out on the rehab.  On cold days, we would plug in our space heaters, since the HVAC was faulty which usually caused a fuse to flip.  Whoever was up would have to flip the fuse back.  I hope the Harris team will restore the Sterick in a quality way, although I did like the way the Dermon Building owner restored the building from the bottom up.  I have good memories of eating breakfast at George's Coffee Shop and occasionally lunch at the restaurant which was located on the first floor of the Derman.

I do not know if it is feasible to get the ground floor done and maybe some of the lower floors up and running in the Sterick and build the upper floors to client specs later on.  From being a long-time downtown worker, I can attest there is no grocery option in this part of downtown ever since Easyway closed about 10 years ago.  The nearest option, Miss Cordellia's (sic) is on Mud Island, but last I heard they shut down their restaurant.  (ashame, they made a damn good Rueben).   I still think a high-quality grocery/grill where the pharmacy was located could have a real chance of success and build interest for future businesses and tenants.

I continue to have high hopes for the Sterick and think it will be massively successful.  I can envision several out-of-town businesses and tenants owning condos in the building.   There are some top and near top floor residences in the Chrysler Building in NYC.  I am not a architectural expert, but I do see some similarities between the Chrysler and Sterick and if I was a designer, I would shamefully copy some of the residential layouts of the Chrysler Building.   Some multi-floor suites on the upper floors would be way cool for NBA players, brain surgeons, or Master of the Universe types that are still working for Raymond James.

Some of you got distracted by mentioning the need for a new federal building.  I have read that the FBI used to lease space in the Sterick.   It was either Pretty Boy Floyd, or Machine Gun Kelly that was pinched by the G Men in Memphis.   I wonder if the special agent in charge told his guys to quit messing with the space heaters and go pick up a gangster.

13 hours ago, Tony Randolph said:

As I mentioned earlier, I worked in the Dermon Building in the mid to late 1990s.  The building's owner bought the building "for a song and a dance" (really, a direct quote) but cheaped out on the rehab.  On cold days, we would plug in our space heaters, since the HVAC was faulty which usually caused a fuse to flip.  Whoever was up would have to flip the fuse back.  I hope the Harris team will restore the Sterick in a quality way, although I did like the way the Dermon Building owner restored the building from the bottom up.  I have good memories of eating breakfast at George's Coffee Shop and occasionally lunch at the restaurant which was located on the first floor of the Derman.

I do not know if it is feasible to get the ground floor done and maybe some of the lower floors up and running in the Sterick and build the upper floors to client specs later on.  From being a long-time downtown worker, I can attest there is no grocery option in this part of downtown ever since Easyway closed about 10 years ago.  The nearest option, Miss Cordellia's (sic) is on Mud Island, but last I heard they shut down their restaurant.  (ashame, they made a damn good Rueben).   I still think a high-quality grocery/grill where the pharmacy was located could have a real chance of success and build interest for future businesses and tenants.

I continue to have high hopes for the Sterick and think it will be massively successful.  I can envision several out-of-town businesses and tenants owning condos in the building.   There are some top and near top floor residences in the Chrysler Building in NYC.  I am not a architectural expert, but I do see some similarities between the Chrysler and Sterick and if I was a designer, I would shamefully copy some of the residential layouts of the Chrysler Building.   Some multi-floor suites on the upper floors would be way cool for NBA players, brain surgeons, or Master of the Universe types that are still working for Raymond James.

Some of you got distracted by mentioning the need for a new federal building.  I have read that the FBI used to lease space in the Sterick.   It was either Pretty Boy Floyd, or Machine Gun Kelly that was pinched by the G Men in Memphis.   I wonder if the special agent in charge told his guys to quit messing with the space heaters and go pick up a gangster.

There's been two new grocery stores open up in the South Main area.  Still not ideal for downtown core.  For downtown there is the Walgreens, Express Mini-Mart, and the DGX.  The DGX is probably the best option.  I don't think they have fresh produce, but the have the pre-packaged produce and grab and go stuff, as well as frozen food.  

It will probably be 4 years before the Sterick renovation is completed, but will be nice with it,  100 N Main, and hopefully the Dermon plant goes through.  

• Like 1