389 North (AKA Zoi House) | 41-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

ucfpatriot18

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

It's true.  The number 3 stops right outside my house, but I have never once taken it downtown.  I wouldn't use it enough to justify the $50 monthly expense, and I don't generally have dollar bills on me to pay the fare.

Number 15 stops at my house and I've taken it back from work once because it was lightning and I was on my bike.  Otherwise, its not worth the $2 ride.

4 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

It's true.  The number 3 stops right outside my house, but I have never once taken it downtown.  I wouldn't use it enough to justify the $50 monthly expense, and I don't generally have dollar bills on me to pay the fare.

I have free trips as a UCF student, which I combine with the Bus tracker app to hop on buses if they're near by, but also there's an app that you can use to pay digitally, but the 3 only comes hourly despite getting decent ridership which is a prime example of the level of service not meeting demand. The only routes with 15 min headways, which is the federal definition  of frequent is the 8, which gets 8000 riders daily, many more than Sunrail, and the 102, which doesn't even have the ridership to justify it but it gets funding for good  frequency from the special tax district along 17-92. There's definitely demand for frequent routes along Orange ave, Colonial,  Semoran, and the other other major corridors that  is not getting met at all. You should take downtown at least once tho just to try it out, LYNX Paw Pass and LYNX Bus Tracker  are all you need to make the trip super easy!

36 minutes ago, codypet said:

Did Lynx put out an accurate bus tracker?  I've been using DoubleMap which lets me see any major city's bus tracker.  (I used to bounce between Orlando and Raleigh a lot).

Yeah it uses DoubleMap lol, it's accurate probably 90% of the time, sometimes there's missing buses and there's a slight time delay but it's a godsend if there's multiple routes nearby that you could take. For example on Semoran/ 50 there's 3 routes that combine for a bus to downtown every 10 mins in the day, which is as good as the LA Subway haha. I stopped riding LYNX and relied on uber's exclusively for a few years after riding sharing launched in Orlando, but with the bus tracker and free fares for local college students they won me back. Honestly it's not bad  for short trips and when it's not busy; around rush hour the buses maddeningly crawl through traffic but such is life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DreS0803 said:

http://www.fox35orlando.com/news/local-news/city-council-to-discuss-building-skyscraper-in-downtown-orlando

Has anyone heard anything from this meeting? Fox reported that it happened on the 14th

I didn't know it before, but according to the article, they'll have to demo the building next door that houses Fratelli's restaurant, too.

fratellis.jpg

Sucks that we have to lose yet another one in order to get a new scraper.

Where were these developers when the Golden Sparrow/Central Station parcel was still just sitting there looking for love?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

I didn't know it before, but according to the article, they'll have to demo the building next door that houses Fratelli's restaurant, too.

fratellis.jpg

Sucks that we have to lose yet another one in order to get a new scraper.

Where were these developers when the Golden Sparrow/Central Station parcel was still just sitting there looking for love?

Looks like Bulldozer Buddy’s friends are back in town. *sigh*

Some days, I think I may just have to move to Savannah. Maybe once Georgia turns purple...

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Looks like Bulldozer Buddy’s friends are back in town. *sigh*

Some days, I think I may just have to move to Savannah. Maybe once Georgia turns purple...

Don't you think it's unfair that liberals destroy their blue states with their voting decisions, and instead of lying in the bed they made, they flee to red states in droves and vote the exact same way? 

Edited by orange87
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, 
THAT ZOI HOUSE BUILDING MIGHT BE THE TALLEST IN ORLANDO!

Anybody interested in the new crown design?

Does anybody know the history of the building that Fratelli's is in?  It looks pretty old. maybe our local resident historians can fill us in on some of the details of its past? 

What do you all think of the potential of a new Livingston "main street"? 

Is the Under-I going to connect all the way up toward Livingston? It would be cool if they could maybe make a greenway along OUT/Gertrude's Walk and Livingston to interconnect this new area, the Under-I, and Creative Village commons. What do you all think? 

:whistling::dontknow:

• Like 3

So I looked that building up, and apparently it says "Fewro" and "MCMXCV" which = 1995.  Interesting. The way it is designed it looked like it would be older than that. Seems like it is a more recent structure that they created to look like it was an older store-front type building on Orange similar to the real ones closer to CBD. 

48 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Don't you think it's unfair that liberals destroy their blue states with their voting decisions, and instead of lying in the bed they made, they flee to red states in droves and vote the exact same way? 

I think you are overreacting to Spenser’s retirement dream but that aside, and I’m taking the bait here, how does your statement make sense?  The Villages isn’t exactly a liberal haven?  

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I think you are overreacting to Spenser’s retirement dream but that aside, and I’m taking the bait here, how does your statement make sense?  The Villages isn’t exactly a liberal haven?  

You're comparing retirees to liberal blue state refugees?

Just now, JFW657 said:

Oh please, not more of this crap again!!!! :stop:

Then tell spenser to stop injecting liberal bs in almost every one of his posts.

• Thanks 1

So, the ARB told the designer that they had to change the crown of the building to make it more "fitting of the iconic nature" of the building considering that it will be the new tallest. 

From the ARB Report: 

"3. Architecture
A. Design Intent—ARB staff supports the development of the Zoi House project even though staff believes the project design, at this Courtesy Review level, still needs some significant refinement. ARB staff will continue to collaborate with the development team in order to advance the building design and to help deliver a distinctive project that will enhance both the Orlando skyline and life at the street level.

B. Skyline Architecture – At 40+ stories this building would be the tallest building in Orlando. Additional attention needs to be paid to the skyline architecture so the Zoi House Orlando building is unique and easily identifiable in the downtown skyline during the day and night."

From the meeting: 
"ARB Planner Doug Metzger suggested extending the curve above the roofline, and possibly placing a spire on top of the building.

"We think the arcs need to influence what happens on the skyline architecture," he said. "Give it something a little more distinctive than what we’re getting across the street at (X Orlando)."

Wayne Dunkelberger, Baker Barrios's creative director, said "As the tallest building, you need it to say something. . . I'll work on the top."

Suggested concept from the ARB: 

Zoi Curve.png

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

So I looked that building up, and apparently it says "Fewro" and "MCMXCV" which = 1995.  Interesting. The way it is designed it looked like it would be older than that. Seems like it is a more recent structure that they created to look like it was an older store-front type building on Orange similar to the real ones closer to CBD. 

I think that was the year the did some renovation work on it, including all or part of that exterior material that's on it now. The building has been there for a long time.

6 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

So, the ARB told the designer that they had to change the crown of the building to make it more "fitting of the iconic nature" of the building considering that it will be the new tallest. 

From the ARB Report: 

"3. Architecture
A. Design Intent—ARB staff supports the development of the Zoi House project even though staff believes the project design, at this Courtesy Review level, still needs some significant refinement. ARB staff will continue to collaborate with the development team in order to advance the building design and to help deliver a distinctive project that will enhance both the Orlando skyline and life at the street level.

B. Skyline Architecture – At 40+ stories this building would be the tallest building in Orlando. Additional attention needs to be paid to the skyline architecture so the Zoi House Orlando building is unique and easily identifiable in the downtown skyline during the day and night."

From the meeting: 
"ARB Planner Doug Metzger suggested extending the curve above the roofline, and possibly placing a spire on top of the building.

"We think the arcs need to influence what happens on the skyline architecture," he said. "Give it something a little more distinctive than what we’re getting across the street at (X Orlando)."

Wayne Dunkelberger, Baker Barrios's creative director, said "As the tallest building, you need it to say something. . . I'll work on the top."

Suggested concept from the ARB: 

Zoi Curve.png

Wow, the city being all heroic.

3 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Thanks JFW. . . Anybody know the long-term history of it? 

I’m trying to remember the name of the really great restaurant that was in that building right after it was renovated but it escapes me. Sadly, it was too upscale for that part of Orange at the time and didn’t last long.