Amway Grand Plaza Facelift

Allison Slater

The terraced area really has amazing views. I see that they still have the spiral staircase. Is the layout similar to Cygnus with a few banquet rooms upstairs? I didn't like the murals when I first saw them, but I think GRDad brought up a good point, it's probably designed, lit for evening hours. All the shots I've seen are during the day, but I bet it looks really good at night

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The terraced area really has amazing views. I see that they still have the spiral staircase. Is the layout similar to Cygnus with a few banquet rooms upstairs? I didn't like the murals when I first saw them, but I think GRDad brought up a good point, it's probably designed, lit for evening hours. All the shots I've seen are during the day, but I bet it looks really good at night

Yeah two rooms that I went in.

Today:

IMG_20201123_121349.jpg

IMG_20201123_121346.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

ahem, it's bridge blue. :-)

It's red and green for christmas right now

But bridge blue IS actually GVSU blue (there's an interesting story about it here: https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2011/03/grand_valley_state_university_34.html). While the skyline is definitely blue, I there's more variatiom in the colors. My photo didn't isn't the greatest representation. 

Either way, I love all of the lighting being added to buildings. I'm interested to see the lighting on the DeVos building when it's done. I saw some test lighting a year ago, and it looks like it'll be pretty brightly lit as well. 

Joe

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 9:15 AM, joeDowntown said:

But bridge blue IS actually GVSU blue (there's an interesting story about it here: https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2011/03/grand_valley_state_university_34.html). While the skyline is definitely blue, I there's more variatiom in the colors. My photo didn't isn't the greatest representation. 

Either way, I love all of the lighting being added to buildings. I'm interested to see the lighting on the DeVos building when it's done. I saw some test lighting a year ago, and it looks like it'll be pretty brightly lit as well. 

Joe

Agreed. I'm rarely out at night this year but happened to be coming back from Holland last night and saw all the city lights from the I-196 hill. Was blown away by how cool it looks now (the whole skyline).

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 11:02 AM, HavingAhoot said:

Seems to me they have a lot of work to do yet if they still want to finish up by April.

It could be. Though I think the bulk of the work was structural stuff we couldn't see, including the restaurant over haul.  I don't think the replacement of the facade will take that long as evidenced by the progress they've made just since the last pictures. 

1 hour ago, MJLO said:

It could be. Though I think the bulk of the work was structural stuff we couldn't see, including the restaurant over haul.  I don't think the replacement of the facade will take that long as evidenced by the progress they've made just since the last pictures. 

I wonder how quickly they move. If they could do a floor a day (per side), April seems feasible.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

22 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

And murder restaurant? Did I miss something??

^ The restaurant is rebranded as MDRD - a moniker that might not age too well. I think it's meant to be a play on the word "Madrid" but it looks an awful lot like MRDR a.k.a. "Murder"

Edited by deja vu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1