CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

27 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Redline being included there, and phase 3 goldline are interesting. What is Phase A of Silderline? and what is blue line core capacity? Does that mean 3 car capacity? Not until 2041? 

Phase A is out towards Matthews, Phase B is towards Belmont according to Joe Bruno. https://twitter.com/JoeBrunoWSOC9/status/1409907416859299843?s=20

Edited by TGIBridays
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, XRZ.ME said:

Silver line is currently in partial engineering phase right?

How could Red Line and Gold Line phase 3 be done earlier than Silver Line?

Silver line will be a vastly more complicated project and far more expensive than Red or Gold lines ever thought about being.

20 minutes ago, XRZ.ME said:

Silver line is currently in partial engineering phase right?

How could Red Line and Gold Line phase 3 be done earlier than Silver Line?

This is what I was thinking.  I thought the red line was basically dead since Norfolk Southern wasn't willing to let passenger trains run on their tracks. 

20 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Silver line will be a vastly more complicated project and far more expensive than Red or Gold lines ever thought about being.

Seems like if NS is still not willing to play ball with CATS, then the Red Line would be considerably more expensive and cost comparable with the Silver Line.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TGIBridays said:

This is what I was thinking.  I thought the red line was basically dead since Norfolk Southern wasn't willing to let passenger trains run on their tracks. 

Seems like if NS is still not willing to play ball with CATS, then the Red Line would be considerably more expensive and cost comparable with the Silver Line.

Maybe, politically, they are trying to get that done first. 

14 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone know how long it was for the initial Blue Line from conception to reality?

1990 initial planning funding for light rail budgeted.

1998 voters approve transit tax

1999 planning begins

2005 groundbreaking

Nov 2007 - initial service begins

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

This is sad and depressing. The lack of urgency is extremely frustrating. This is infrastructure that the city badly needs now and waiting 20+ years is not going to cut it. Why do I want to live in a city that shows no ability to get anything done in order to make it a more livable place?

Screenshot 2021-06-29 095016.jpg

Not to be difficult, but is $10 billion not enough of an investment for you? That slide comes from a presentation about the CLT Moves / Transformational Mobility Network, which is literally about investing more money in the CLT transportation system than has ever been discussed before, and 90% of it would be for transit. I don't think more money changes how long it takes to build something.

25 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I don't think more money changes how long it takes to build something.

I mean it absolutely does. But also isn't this less about the total number and more about how fast the money is coming in. It's phased over 18 years because they have to pay for all the projects using the proposed 1% transit tax. If they had $10 billion in hand now earmarked entirely towards transit they can build everything simultaneously.

12 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

This is sad and depressing. The lack of urgency is extremely frustrating. This is infrastructure that the city badly needs now and waiting 20+ years is not going to cut it. Why do I want to live in a city that shows no ability to get anything done in order to make it a more livable place?

Screenshot 2021-06-29 095016.jpg

Not to mention that CATS has routinely experienced delays relative to their timeline.  The blueline upgrades extensions are particularly bad as this is going to be out only real transit route for almost two decades. Wow.

11 hours ago, TCLT said:

If they had $10 billion in hand now earmarked entirely towards transit they can build everything simultaneously.

They can just bond out anticipated sales tax revenue. It ain’t rocket science, the city is growing like crazy and we have a stellar credit rating. The bonds would be tax-exempt, they would get snapped up.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

They can just bond out anticipated sales tax revenue. It ain’t rocket science, the city is growing like crazy and we have a stellar credit rating (not sure about CATS however).

In the city council presentation they mentioned the plan was to create a new entity to manage the projects and issue bonds with the pledged tax revenue as collateral or whatever. Not sure if that structure prevents a mega bond up front or if the city just doesn’t want to take on that much debt all at once.

23 hours ago, TCLT said:

I mean it absolutely does. But also isn't this less about the total number and more about how fast the money is coming in. It's phased over 18 years because they have to pay for all the projects using the proposed 1% transit tax. If they had $10 billion in hand now earmarked entirely towards transit they can build everything simultaneously.

True, but a lot of what drives the timeline in public projects like this is federally mandated procedures that were put in place because we, as a society, forcibly removed African Americans from their homes to build highways. You could start more projects simultaneously, but 16 years may or may not be substantially reduced.