Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The historic commission may have dictated that the rebuilt side of the building had to look different from the historic sides. I’ve encountered this on past projects. I think they will find someone, maybe an artist to get the front bricks to match. I doubt they could get historic to agree to painting the front of the building.

3 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

The historic commission may have dictated that the rebuilt side of the building had to look different from the historic sides. I’ve encountered this on past projects. I think they will find someone, maybe an artist to get the front bricks to match. I doubt they could get historic to agree to painting the front of the building.

Why would the historic commission be allowed to require such a preposterous demand?  I think that is WAY more than their juristictional role should allow.  So we get crappy brick that clashes badly with the historic fascades?  IMO stupid.  The brick wall is very ugly and I wouldmostly  think a mural would be a far worse desecration of any "historic" intent.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Why would the historic commission be allowed to require such a preposterous demand?  I think that is WAY more than their juristictional role should allow.  So we get crappy brick that clashes badly with the historic fascades?  IMO stupid.  The brick wall is very ugly and I wouldmostly  think a mural would be a far worse desecration of any "historic" intent.

Hey Randy, why don't you try and get on the Historic Commission, I am sure you would be a valuable addition and make them rue the day they were born.

• Like 1

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Ascend Amphitheater is a real waste of valuable space. Downtown badly needs a big urban park, with actual trees, grass, etc. on the downtown side of the river. 

The space where Ascend is, plus the surrounding “park” (mostly concrete and a flat green square) could be that space. The maps around the area show a walking loop running through the amphitheater that “may be closed for concerts,” but I’ve basically never seen the gates actually open. It sucks that such a huge piece of irreplaceable, city-owned real estate sits locked up most of the year. I hope that once some of the residential projects fill in to the south over the next 5-10 years,  there’s a conversation about creating more of a real park in that area. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Like Bicentennial Mall State Park, perhaps? It’s on the downtown side of the river, with lots of green space, trees & flowers, and next door there’s a nice museum and a farmers market.

It’s 31 minutes walking from Ascend to the farmer’s market., according to Apple Maps. That’s a more than reasonable distance between major parks. Lots of residential is being added to downtown, and we should definitely be aiming for close access to real green space (everywhere in Nashville, not just downtown). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MorganRehnberg said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Ascend Amphitheater is a real waste of valuable space. Downtown badly needs a big urban park, with actual trees, grass, etc. on the downtown side of the river. 

Whatever happend to the idea of a parl on the riverbanks by the rail line toeards the Sylman Evens interstate bridges?   There is a huge wood expanse where the flooded out homeless camps were decades ago.  I see no need to make Ascend solely a park area.

14 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Whatever happend to the idea of a parl on the riverbanks by the rail line toeards the Sylman Evens interstate bridges?   There is a huge wood expanse where the flooded out homeless camps were decades ago.  I see no need to make Ascend solely a park area.

I think you are talking about Wharf Park. I am unsure of the status, but I think it is just delayed at this point. Maybe someone else has information????

Early plans for new Nashville park leave some hopeful, others fearful | Metro government | nashvillepost.com

• Like 2