United Community Plaza (S Pine & E Main Mixed Use)

westsider28

On 4/7/2019 at 10:49 AM, westsider28 said:

Eh.  Moe's is pretty disappointing.  Not new-to-market and (IMO) not great food in general.  I would've preferred Chipotle, honestly.  I'm sure it will be popular, though.

The Chicken Salad Chick rumors were second-hand for me, so I have no clue about the validity.

I agree with the sentiment about Moe's, but I think having a national chain like that interested in a downtown location is a really good sign. 

On a related note, a very popular Charlotte chain called Sabor Latin Street Grill is looking to expand into South Carolina in the next couple of years, and they specifically mentioned Spartanburg (and Columbia, Rock Hill, Greenville, etc). I'm hoping they choose a downtown location. 

• Like 3

Moe's Southwest Grill banner is now hanging out front.  

Unrelated, but significant, it appears SCDOT crews are constructing a LEFT turn lane from North Pine Street to East Main Street.  Presumably a left turn signal light will be installed soon.  This will help alleviate the serious traffic backups from North Pine to East St. John.  

Edited by roads-scholar

At The Corner of Main & Pine shopping center across the street, it looks like the portion of the roof that extended over the sidewalk (near the Skillet) is being demolished.

I saw the sign for Moe's.  I also discovered that they are refreshing their branding and food chain-wide, so hopefully it's an improvement.  I think this may be one of the first locations with the new style/design/branding.

Here's the intersection design I saved when it went to bid several months ago.  I'm concerned that this additional phase will make crossing the intersection even more harrowing as a pedestrian.

pmturn.thumb.JPG.a73f5c6ff0860fc1b7e6affc29c51b28.JPG

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spartan said:

That turn land shouldn't be necessary. Why not just turn down St John? Regardless, I always see people making lefts there anyway, so they may as well make it safe.

I think it's mostly for access to the UCB building (as in, the developers likely requested it).  This way, you turn left at the light, and right into their parking lot.  Rather than going beyond the light and trying to turn left (thru constantly backed up traffic) into the parking lot.

2 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

I think it's mostly for access to the UCB building (as in, the developers likely requested it).  This way, you turn left at the light, and right into their parking lot.  Rather than going beyond the light and trying to turn left (thru constantly backed up traffic) into the parking lot.

Good point. It's likely that UCB is paying for it too.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we've been talking about it in this thread, I'll continue.  The shopping center across Pine looks to be undergoing a significant exterior renovation.  This photo below is from nearly a week ago.  More of those aluminum frames have been put up since.

IMG_20190430_185942381_HDR.thumb.jpg.509dece2b0ea9445e5d1eeb2f289053c.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, westsider28 said:

Since we've been talking about it in this thread, I'll continue.  The shopping center across Pine looks to be undergoing a significant exterior renovation.  This photo below is from nearly a week ago.  More of those aluminum frames have been put up since.

IMG_20190430_185942381_HDR.thumb.jpg.509dece2b0ea9445e5d1eeb2f289053c.jpg

I hope this  renovation looks nice and not like some strip center out on the west side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Going to put this here, since this thread kind of covers the whole Pine/Main intersection. (maybe we should change the thread name @Spartan ?)

I was checking GIS and noticed that the Village Inn site was purchased for $700,000 on October 22 by Redland, LLC.  The registered agent for the LLC is Charles Habisreutinger (he and members of his family serve on several local boards).  Anyway, Redland owned the former Hub City Co-op, until it was recently sold (for $1.8 million!) to the owner of Rigsby's restaurant.  Redland also owns 457 S Daniel Morgan (One Call Plumbing office), 189 N Dean (historic home), and 780 E Main (historic home), along with large swaths of land near Lake Cooley in Inman. 

Unfortunately, there's no real precedent of him redeveloping any of his property, but hopefully that will change.  Thought I should post about the change in ownership in case anyone else has heard any rumblings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Going to put this here, since this thread kind of covers the whole Pine/Main intersection. (maybe we should change the thread name @Spartan ?)

I was checking GIS and noticed that the Village Inn site was purchased for $700,000 on October 22 by Redland, LLC.  The registered agent for the LLC is Charles Habisreutinger (he and members of his family serve on several local boards).  Anyway, Redland owned the former Hub City Co-op, until it was recently sold (for $1.8 million!) to the owner of Rigsby's restaurant.  Redland also owns 457 S Daniel Morgan (One Call Plumbing office), 189 N Dean (historic home), and 780 E Main (historic home), along with large swaths of land near Lake Cooley in Inman. 

Unfortunately, there's no real precedent of him redeveloping any of his property, but hopefully that will change.  Thought I should post about the change in ownership in case anyone else has heard any rumblings.

Believe it or not but 20 years ago my dad and I seriously looked at buying the Village Inn.   We ultimately decided against purchasing because the asking price then was $800,000!

its good to see someone with deep pockets buy that place.  

14 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Believe it or not but 20 years ago my dad and I seriously looked at buying the Village Inn.   We ultimately decided against purchasing because the asking price then was $800,000!

its good to see someone with deep pockets buy that place.  

Does that include the motel and the stip mall behind it?