New Richmond Arena

eandslee

4 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

So do I! But one must admit this seems ambitious.

That’s exactly what Richmond needs, Ambitious. For years, we haven’t gotten any thing huge in terms of development. While we have had developments such as the new Dominion tower and the locks developments, which are really nice and definently make a difference in the cityscape In terms of height and density, but I don’t think that we have every seen a development this ambitious that could have such a big impact on the city. This development(if done right) could change the cityscape forever and bulk up the skyline as well as downtown as a whole, in a way that haven’t been seen in the history of Richmond. I really look forward to this development and if done right, without NIMBYS getting in the way, it could be a game changer for downtown and propel Richmond past most of its rivals.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, eandslee said:

I do agree that it’s ambitious, but we’ve got to hold out hope that this group will pull it off.  I’m tired of the old Richmond mentality that nothing ever works out in Richmond when it comes to developments.  Some developments don’t, but not all of them. The team they’ve put together for this is an A Team...such as never been assembled before. They’ve done their homework, they’ve got the know-how, they’ve got power, and they also have money. It also looks like they will not put the city on the hook for much, if any, taxpayer money. There still will be naysayers, but this is the best chance Richmond has to get a new arena.  I’m keeping the faith!

I agree that it is an old mentality of things not working out. Richmond has so much potential. IMHO we need ambitious   groups and individuals with  foresight  to move this city forward. I am excited that there is a prospect of moving such a huge project forward. I would love to see   more residential in the city center. This is a chance to really  give Richmond a definitive identity if this could work out. 

• Like 3

I'm gonna be the cautious optimist here and say let's wait for more details. I assume it's confidential info but I wish Dominion/the rest of the RFP team would release the proposal documents to read further on financing and whatnot. The ambitiousness of this proposal is what excites and worries me the most. I hope this is legitimate.

An ambitious vision is good. I would be thrilled if all this came to pass - it would turn a dead area into a vibrant one. But the normal yield on a plan is usually much less than 100 percent. That’s not just a Richmond thing, but a life constant!

Anyway, I don’t mean to sound like a downer or NIMBY. It’s fun to see through the eyes of my kids (6 and 2), and when I do, quite a lot seems possible.

• Like 2

You know what would be cool?  If the 500-room hotel proposed with the new arena, also contained 100+ apartment/condos in the building with it!  That would, for sure, make it an iconic tower in a very high point (topography wise)  in the city skyline and may even rival or beat out the Westin in VB for height (picture a nice spire or lit-up, decorative roof)!  Just sitting here on a Friday morning dreaming of what could be!  What about you...thoughts?

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

You know what would be cool?  If the 500-room hotel proposed with the new arena, also contained 100+ apartment/condos in the building with it!  That would, for sure, make it an iconic tower in a very high point (topography wise)  in the city skyline and may even rival or beat out the Westin in VB for height (picture a nice spire or lit-up, decorative roof)!  Just sitting here on a Friday morning dreaming of what could be!  What about you...thoughts?

That would be way cool - I just think about what an impact it could make when driving down I-64 towards the city, as you round the curve after you've passed Mechanicsville Turnpike.  It would truly be a grand entrance, for sure!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Just found this on NH District Corps facebook page.. Is this the overall rendering of the arena project?

36744275_416364188861807_5465478645894086656_o.jpg

Whoa!  Great find!  Sure looks like a plan!  My question is why would they release this now?

Oh, and if this is the real plan, Scott B (you know the guy) is going to love it with all these solar panels!!  Makes sense if this will be called Dominion Energy Arena!

Only one real high rise (the 500 room hotel) which appears to be about 25 stories or so.  

Edited by eandslee

I'm really liking this, not a lot of height across the board, but keeping the residential heights lower help keep costs down.

The hotel, hard to tell because of perspective, looks to be maybe a bit shorter than City Hall and a smidgen taller than the Marriott,  I'll take it.

It looks like they're wrapping the existing parking garages, which is awesome. 

I'm guessing the structure directly next to City Hall would be the Transfer Center given it's garage-y look. 

Solar and Green Roofs throughout which is pretty awesome!

Also glad to see limited "plaza" space and Leigh Street seems to be brought back up to grade.

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

Just found this on NH District Corps facebook page.. Is this the overall rendering of the arena project?

That'd be my guess, it looks like they posted it about an hour ago, maybe negotiations are going well then!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Downtowner said:

36744275_416364188861807_5465478645894086656_o.jpg

Capture.thumb.JPG.77e2949c48b992bf413a6baa27a83478.JPG

Here is the corresponding Google Earth image for comparison. I'm excited to see more renderings, if they make sure to engaging ground level commercial/retail space foot traffic could be phenomenal here with MCV campus, Biotech corridor, and the transit station. I really hope this happens!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, cbl1 said:

Entire website now on project.  Looks like they are moving to selling community stage. 

https://www.northofbroadrva.com/projectpage

Love this!!!  The details are awesome!  I really hope this takes off!  This would be a game changer. So glad they are releasing the renderings. Oh, and just look at that arena!!

• Like 2

Looks good to me, although I wish there was more height (as always).  The addition of 2,500 residences where there are presently zero will make a big difference.  That could potentially add 5,000 new people to downtown.  Could be a game changer.

Edited by Wahoo 07
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, jbjust said:

So are they taking the existing parking garages and just wrapping apartments around them?   Seems either brilliant or crazy, can’t figure out which one.  

What’s brilliant is the use of renewable energy (solar energy) which will help pay for itself in the long run!  I’m not one of those crazy solar guys, but I support it if it works and if it looks good!  Plus, I think this is a good selling point for the more liberal city government - they love this kind of stuff!